Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Asmolpidgeon wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:
Asmolpidgeon wrote: Well, mostly just basic stuff (time period, diet, couple pictures, etc.) What difference is there between photos and illustrations?
A illustration (I call it a illustration but it is a photo too lol) is like this: https://img.purch.com/w/660/aHR0cDovL3d ... k3LmpwZw==
Haha, okay I wasn't sure if you meant something other then a photo. We already have some, but we might have to add more.
Nitpick: I think that'd be considered an artist's rendition? You can't take a photo of a living dino sadly
Asmolpidgeon
Division: B
State: UT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Asmolpidgeon »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Asmolpidgeon wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:
A illustration (I call it a illustration but it is a photo too lol) is like this: https://img.purch.com/w/660/aHR0cDovL3d ... k3LmpwZw==
Haha, okay I wasn't sure if you meant something other then a photo. We already have some, but we might have to add more.
Nitpick: I think that'd be considered an artist's rendition? You can't take a photo of a living dino sadly
True. That is rather unfortunate.
GurtYo
State: IL

Post by GurtYo »

How would you recommend going about problems on the test that you don't know or don't have notes on? What is the best way to handle this and get the best answer you can?
“Life is short.
Smile while you still have teeth.”

― Mallory Hopkins
AWildMudkip
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by AWildMudkip »

GurtYo wrote:How would you recommend going about problems on the test that you don't know or don't have notes on? What is the best way to handle this and get the best answer you can?
There's gonna be two cases of this:
1. It's some absolutely obscure bit of random info (in which case rip)
2. It's either conceptual or has enough info to give a good guess.

In the second case, try thinking back to the core fundamentals of paleontology. Often times you can build up to complex answers by only knowing the basics and then creating reasonable assumptions. For example, this is particularly useful in connecting morphology to function. If the question asks for a specific epoch or something, you can probably eliminate most epochs to increase your chances.

Either way though, if you're stuck on a question it's probably best to skip it and come back to it later if you have time.
William P. Clements High School Class of 2018

Earth Science Director of Princeton University SO (2019)
PUSO Director (2020)
[email protected]
isotelus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by isotelus »

AWildMudkip wrote:
GurtYo wrote:How would you recommend going about problems on the test that you don't know or don't have notes on? What is the best way to handle this and get the best answer you can?
There's gonna be two cases of this:
1. It's some absolutely obscure bit of random info (in which case rip)
2. It's either conceptual or has enough info to give a good guess.

In the second case, try thinking back to the core fundamentals of paleontology. Often times you can build up to complex answers by only knowing the basics and then creating reasonable assumptions. For example, this is particularly useful in connecting morphology to function. If the question asks for a specific epoch or something, you can probably eliminate most epochs to increase your chances.

Either way though, if you're stuck on a question it's probably best to skip it and come back to it later if you have time.
Yeah, and if they are asking for definitions or something similar, you can try to use word roots or other knowledge to try to figure it out. Also, often times each station will follow a theme and so you will be able to at least figure out the type of answer that is expected.
SLHS '23
GurtYo

Post by GurtYo »

How many different fossils are on the fossils list? I am estimating 200 but I might be way off.
“Life is short.

― Mallory Hopkins
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

GurtYo wrote:How many different fossils are on the fossils list? I am estimating 200 but I might be way off.
There's a hundred or so, just look at the numbering. Rocks/trace fossils don't really count as fossils, IMO.
GurtYo

Post by GurtYo »

dxu46 wrote:
GurtYo wrote:How many different fossils are on the fossils list? I am estimating 200 but I might be way off.
There's a hundred or so, just look at the numbering. Rocks/trace fossils don't really count as fossils, IMO.
PSHHH. I am so ignorant. Duh, look at the numbering. Thanks!
“Life is short.

― Mallory Hopkins
AwersomeUser

Post by AwersomeUser »

Do I need to know where a word (the name) comes from for division b?I saw someone asking it in the question marathon or is he/she just asking extra?
Last edited by AwersomeUser on February 18th, 2019, 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

AwersomeUser wrote:Do I need to know where a word (the name) comes from for division b?I saw someone asking it in the question marathon or is he/she just asking extra?
I would include that, yes. Both the common and scientific names.

Return to “2019 Study Events”