Fossils B/C

User avatar
Kyanite
Member
Member
Posts: 202
Joined: November 6th, 2017, 8:43 am
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Kyanite » January 28th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Bread wrote:
hmmm wrote:
Bread wrote:I had a question regarding the molars of mesohippus. It has 12 molars on each on each half of the jaw meaning that it would have 24 total... right? I took a test that said it had only 12. Is the key wrong or am I missing something?
http://www.equestrianandhorse.com/equus/evolution.html says 6 per side, 12 total molars.

So then what are the other teeth? There are clearly more than 12 teeth in the jaw (aside from the incisors).


I believe the other teeth you are mentioning would be premolars.

Bread
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: September 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm
Division: B
State: IN
Location: TJ

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Bread » January 28th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Kyanite wrote:I believe the other teeth you are mentioning would be premolars.
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
State: -

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby AwersomeUser » January 30th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 754
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Location: telling young innocent middle schoolers to sleep while they can

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby dxu46 » January 30th, 2019, 7:11 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

I like a comfortable 18 point font, 1.5 spaced, but that's just me.
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2020 events: Astronomy, Chemistry Lab, Detector Building, Experimental Design, Fossils?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Summary of 2019 season: :cry: :lol: :x :oops: :( 8-) :geek: :D :!: :cry:

User avatar
Kyanite
Member
Member
Posts: 202
Joined: November 6th, 2017, 8:43 am
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Kyanite » January 31st, 2019, 11:26 am

AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)


I used 12 pt with Times New Roman but its all personal preference.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 565
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: B
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby MadCow2357 » January 31st, 2019, 11:36 am

AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

12 pt Calibri (my favorite for everything), and I sort everything with nice tables. :)
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Roller Coaster, Thermodynamics
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
State: -

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby AwersomeUser » January 31st, 2019, 4:30 pm

Kyanite wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

I used 12 pt with Times New Roman but its all personal preference.
MadCow2357 wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

12 pt Calibri (my favorite for everything), and I sort everything with nice tables. :)
dxu46 wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

I like a comfortable 18 point font, 1.5 spaced, but that's just me.


Thanks! What about page margin? And do you guys use google docs or something else?

User avatar
RockRoll92
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: October 22nd, 2018, 12:03 pm
Division: B
State: RI

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby RockRoll92 » January 31st, 2019, 5:03 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:
Kyanite wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

I used 12 pt with Times New Roman but its all personal preference.
MadCow2357 wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

12 pt Calibri (my favorite for everything), and I sort everything with nice tables. :)
dxu46 wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

I like a comfortable 18 point font, 1.5 spaced, but that's just me.


Thanks! What about page margin? And do you guys use google docs or something else?

Madcow and I are using 0.25" page margins as it makes the nice tables we made up format better, whatever is fine, and probably should be changed based on formatting. We're using google drive/docs but word is also another option if you prefer. Word can be customised more, but you probably don't need it so the simplicity of drive is a benefit.
Events
2018-2019 Fossils, Thermo, WIDI, RollerCoaster, Density Lab

RockRoll92's Userpage

User avatar
RockRoll92
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: October 22nd, 2018, 12:03 pm
Division: B
State: RI

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby RockRoll92 » February 2nd, 2019, 10:53 am

So, for things on the fossil list like for example 13) Subphylum Crustacea (shrimp, lobster, crabs, barnacles, ostracods) should we incude information about just the things in parenthesis or just the class/ order, subphylum/ whatever in general?
Events
2018-2019 Fossils, Thermo, WIDI, RollerCoaster, Density Lab

RockRoll92's Userpage

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1453
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 2nd, 2019, 11:10 am

Rock&Roll92 wrote:So, for things on the fossil list like for example 13) Subphylum Crustacea (shrimp, lobster, crabs, barnacles, ostracods) should we incude information about just the things in parenthesis or just the class/ order, subphylum/ whatever in general?

Include information about everything

meilingkuo
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: December 2nd, 2018, 8:13 pm

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby meilingkuo » February 4th, 2019, 10:58 pm

I am coaching two kids for the fossils event. They have made a pretty good binder with all information. However, they just could not seem to finish all questions in time before moving on to the next station. It seems that they spend a lot of time flipping the pages to look up the answers for confirmation. Does anybody has suggestion? Does memorization certain information help to speed up? Does any kind of summary table help? We need help to improve performance.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 565
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: B
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby MadCow2357 » February 5th, 2019, 6:36 am

meilingkuo wrote:I am coaching two kids for the fossils event. They have made a pretty good binder with all information. However, they just could not seem to finish all questions in time before moving on to the next station. It seems that they spend a lot of time flipping the pages to look up the answers for confirmation. Does anybody has suggestion? Does memorization certain information help to speed up? Does any kind of summary table help? We need help to improve performance.

Yes, I would try to memorize stuff. That helps when you are on a time crunch, and memorizing where pages are in your binder also helps you find them. I'd use a table of contents, and tab dividers for easy flipping.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Roller Coaster, Thermodynamics
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
State: -

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby AwersomeUser » February 5th, 2019, 10:58 am

(URGENT!!!!-My competition is this Saturday!)Hi again! How do you all format the photos on google docs? Do you start a new line and put in line or do you use wrap text to save space? Also how big should my photo be and how many photo should I put for each?
Also, what does it really mean by "Taxonomic classification restricted to the hierarchy on the Science Olympiad Official Fossil
List". So it is like I don't need to know all this:"Protista (kingdom), Foraminifera (phylum), Granuloreticulosea (class), Foramiferida (order), Fusilinidae (family), Fusilinids (genus) for number 1 on the list but just Kingdom Protozoa and phylum forminifera (forams)?
iii. Conditions
Thanks in advance!!!

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 565
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: B
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby MadCow2357 » February 5th, 2019, 12:22 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:(URGENT!!!!-My competition is this Saturday!)Hi again! How do you all format the photos on google docs? Do you start a new line and put in line or do you use wrap text to save space? Also how big should my photo be and how many photo should I put for each?
Also, what does it really mean by "Taxonomic classification restricted to the hierarchy on the Science Olympiad Official Fossil
List". So it is like I don't need to know all this:"Protista (kingdom), Foraminifera (phylum), Granuloreticulosea (class), Foramiferida (order), Fusilinidae (family), Fusilinids (genus) for number 1 on the list but just Kingdom Protozoa and phylum forminifera (forams)?
iii. Conditions
Thanks in advance!!!

Compacting the photos and saving space isn't as important for this event, since you can have up to a 3 inch binder. I have one page of information and the back is for photos, I usually have 3 per genus. You should put whatever taxonomic classifications there are, even though they probably won't test you on too much of it. Just in case.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Roller Coaster, Thermodynamics
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

Girlpower05
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 5:41 pm
Division: B
State: MI

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Girlpower05 » February 5th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dxu46 wrote:I think he meant Platanus, so i'll ask that question: what's the difference between Acer and Platanus?

Platanus generally has differently shaped leaflets and (for lack of better words) a smaller "leaf angle"

The branching pattern of the veins is the most consistent identifier.

Can you explain how the branching patterns are different? Also, how is this image Platanus?
Image


Return to “Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron