Fossils B/C

Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Kyanite » January 28th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Bread wrote:
hmmm wrote:
Bread wrote:I had a question regarding the molars of mesohippus. It has 12 molars on each on each half of the jaw meaning that it would have 24 total... right? I took a test that said it had only 12. Is the key wrong or am I missing something?
http://www.equestrianandhorse.com/equus/evolution.html says 6 per side, 12 total molars.

So then what are the other teeth? There are clearly more than 12 teeth in the jaw (aside from the incisors).

I believe the other teeth you are mentioning would be premolars.

Bread
Division: B
State: IN

Postby Bread » January 28th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Kyanite wrote:I believe the other teeth you are mentioning would be premolars.
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

AwersomeUser
State: -

Postby AwersomeUser » January 30th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Location: telling young innocent middle schoolers to sleep while they can

Postby dxu46 » January 30th, 2019, 7:11 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

I like a comfortable 18 point font, 1.5 spaced, but that's just me.
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2020 events: Astronomy, Chemistry Lab, Detector Building, Experimental Design, Fossils?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Summary of 2019 season: :cry: :lol: :x :oops: :( 8-) :geek: :D :!: :cry:

Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA

Postby Kyanite » January 31st, 2019, 11:26 am

AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)

I used 12 pt with Times New Roman but its all personal preference.

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » January 31st, 2019, 11:36 am

12 pt Calibri (my favorite for everything), and I sort everything with nice tables. :)
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Roller Coaster, Thermodynamics
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
#BalsaManForever

AwersomeUser

Postby AwersomeUser » January 31st, 2019, 4:30 pm

Kyanite wrote:

MadCow2357 wrote:

12 pt Calibri (my favorite for everything), and I sort everything with nice tables. :)
dxu46 wrote:

Thanks! What about page margin? And do you guys use google docs or something else?

RockRoll92

Postby RockRoll92 » January 31st, 2019, 5:03 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:
Kyanite wrote:

MadCow2357 wrote:

dxu46 wrote:

Thanks! What about page margin? And do you guys use google docs or something else?

Madcow and I are using 0.25" page margins as it makes the nice tables we made up format better, whatever is fine, and probably should be changed based on formatting. We're using google drive/docs but word is also another option if you prefer. Word can be customised more, but you probably don't need it so the simplicity of drive is a benefit.
Events
2018-2019 Fossils, Thermo, WIDI, RollerCoaster, Density Lab

RockRoll92's Userpage

RockRoll92

Postby RockRoll92 » February 2nd, 2019, 10:53 am

So, for things on the fossil list like for example 13) Subphylum Crustacea (shrimp, lobster, crabs, barnacles, ostracods) should we incude information about just the things in parenthesis or just the class/ order, subphylum/ whatever in general?
Events
2018-2019 Fossils, Thermo, WIDI, RollerCoaster, Density Lab

RockRoll92's Userpage

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 2nd, 2019, 11:10 am

Rock&Roll92 wrote:So, for things on the fossil list like for example 13) Subphylum Crustacea (shrimp, lobster, crabs, barnacles, ostracods) should we incude information about just the things in parenthesis or just the class/ order, subphylum/ whatever in general?

Include information about everything

meilingkuo

Postby meilingkuo » February 4th, 2019, 10:58 pm

I am coaching two kids for the fossils event. They have made a pretty good binder with all information. However, they just could not seem to finish all questions in time before moving on to the next station. It seems that they spend a lot of time flipping the pages to look up the answers for confirmation. Does anybody has suggestion? Does memorization certain information help to speed up? Does any kind of summary table help? We need help to improve performance.

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » February 5th, 2019, 6:36 am

meilingkuo wrote:I am coaching two kids for the fossils event. They have made a pretty good binder with all information. However, they just could not seem to finish all questions in time before moving on to the next station. It seems that they spend a lot of time flipping the pages to look up the answers for confirmation. Does anybody has suggestion? Does memorization certain information help to speed up? Does any kind of summary table help? We need help to improve performance.

Yes, I would try to memorize stuff. That helps when you are on a time crunch, and memorizing where pages are in your binder also helps you find them. I'd use a table of contents, and tab dividers for easy flipping.
MadCow2357's Userpage
#BalsaManForever

AwersomeUser

Postby AwersomeUser » February 5th, 2019, 10:58 am

(URGENT!!!!-My competition is this Saturday!)Hi again! How do you all format the photos on google docs? Do you start a new line and put in line or do you use wrap text to save space? Also how big should my photo be and how many photo should I put for each?
Also, what does it really mean by "Taxonomic classification restricted to the hierarchy on the Science Olympiad Official Fossil
List". So it is like I don't need to know all this:"Protista (kingdom), Foraminifera (phylum), Granuloreticulosea (class), Foramiferida (order), Fusilinidae (family), Fusilinids (genus) for number 1 on the list but just Kingdom Protozoa and phylum forminifera (forams)?
iii. Conditions
Thanks in advance!!!

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » February 5th, 2019, 12:22 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:(URGENT!!!!-My competition is this Saturday!)Hi again! How do you all format the photos on google docs? Do you start a new line and put in line or do you use wrap text to save space? Also how big should my photo be and how many photo should I put for each?
Also, what does it really mean by "Taxonomic classification restricted to the hierarchy on the Science Olympiad Official Fossil
List". So it is like I don't need to know all this:"Protista (kingdom), Foraminifera (phylum), Granuloreticulosea (class), Foramiferida (order), Fusilinidae (family), Fusilinids (genus) for number 1 on the list but just Kingdom Protozoa and phylum forminifera (forams)?
iii. Conditions
Thanks in advance!!!

Compacting the photos and saving space isn't as important for this event, since you can have up to a 3 inch binder. I have one page of information and the back is for photos, I usually have 3 per genus. You should put whatever taxonomic classifications there are, even though they probably won't test you on too much of it. Just in case.
MadCow2357's Userpage
#BalsaManForever

Girlpower05
State: MI

Postby Girlpower05 » February 5th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dxu46 wrote:I think he meant Platanus, so i'll ask that question: what's the difference between Acer and Platanus?

Platanus generally has differently shaped leaflets and (for lack of better words) a smaller "leaf angle"

The branching pattern of the veins is the most consistent identifier.

Can you explain how the branching patterns are different? Also, how is this image Platanus?

Return to “Study Events”