Fossils B/C

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
State: -

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby AwersomeUser » February 5th, 2019, 3:08 pm

also, are all the fossils that i am going to be identifying be a physical fossil? or can they be on photos too? also do i need a magnifying glass? i don't want to buy one (if my school doesn't have any to borrow to me).

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
State: -

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby AwersomeUser » February 5th, 2019, 3:21 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:(URGENT!!!!-My competition is this Saturday!)Hi again! How do you all format the photos on google docs? Do you start a new line and put in line or do you use wrap text to save space? Also how big should my photo be and how many photo should I put for each?
Also, what does it really mean by "Taxonomic classification restricted to the hierarchy on the Science Olympiad Official Fossil
List". So it is like I don't need to know all this:"Protista (kingdom), Foraminifera (phylum), Granuloreticulosea (class), Foramiferida (order), Fusilinidae (family), Fusilinids (genus) for number 1 on the list but just Kingdom Protozoa and phylum forminifera (forams)?
iii. Conditions
Thanks in advance!!!

Compacting the photos and saving space isn't as important for this event, since you can have up to a 3 inch binder. I have one page of information and the back is for photos, I usually have 3 per genus. You should put whatever taxonomic classifications there are, even though they probably won't test you on too much of it. Just in case.


And also do I need to know the subclasses or orders? like for genus astraeospongia. I don't think I do, right?

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1453
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 5th, 2019, 5:39 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:also, are all the fossils that i am going to be identifying be a physical fossil? or can they be on photos too? also do i need a magnifying glass? i don't want to buy one (if my school doesn't have any to borrow to me).

They can be either physical or photos. You will probably not need a magnifying glass.

AwersomeUser wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:(URGENT!!!!-My competition is this Saturday!)Hi again! How do you all format the photos on google docs? Do you start a new line and put in line or do you use wrap text to save space? Also how big should my photo be and how many photo should I put for each?
Also, what does it really mean by "Taxonomic classification restricted to the hierarchy on the Science Olympiad Official Fossil
List". So it is like I don't need to know all this:"Protista (kingdom), Foraminifera (phylum), Granuloreticulosea (class), Foramiferida (order), Fusilinidae (family), Fusilinids (genus) for number 1 on the list but just Kingdom Protozoa and phylum forminifera (forams)?
iii. Conditions
Thanks in advance!!!

Compacting the photos and saving space isn't as important for this event, since you can have up to a 3 inch binder. I have one page of information and the back is for photos, I usually have 3 per genus. You should put whatever taxonomic classifications there are, even though they probably won't test you on too much of it. Just in case.


And also do I need to know the subclasses or orders? like for genus astraeospongia. I don't think I do, right?

Classification questions are theoretically restricted to what is listed on the Fossil List. I would note the full classification of each specimen somewhere.

HippoLowercase
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: February 5th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby HippoLowercase » February 5th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Hey, does anyone know how to differentiate between coelophysis, and velociraptor? Any thoughts would help!

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1453
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » February 5th, 2019, 6:15 pm

HippoLowercase wrote:Hey, does anyone know how to differentiate between coelophysis, and velociraptor? Any thoughts would help!

Velociraptor is smaller, around 2 feet tall. Coelophysis has four digits while velociraptor has three. Velociraptor's inner toe has a large claw.

User avatar
hmmm
Member
Member
Posts: 62
Joined: January 10th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Division: B
State: NJ
Location: the universe

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby hmmm » February 5th, 2019, 6:16 pm

HippoLowercase wrote:Hey, does anyone know how to differentiate between coelophysis, and velociraptor? Any thoughts would help!

From my binder: "Coelophysis's skull is long, thin, and curves downward. Velociraptor's skull curves slightly upward,has a pronounced bump at the end of the snout. Coelophysis has three toes on each foot while Velociraptor has four toes on each foot."
Community 2017-2019
2017-2018
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology

2018-2019:
LISO/Rustin/Regionals/Garnet/Cornell/States/Nats
Fossils:3/6/1/1/1/2/-
Water Quality:1/2/-/1/6/1/-
Game On:1/2/-/1/2/3/-
Disease Detectives:-/-/-/6/-/-/-

User avatar
Kyanite
Member
Member
Posts: 202
Joined: November 6th, 2017, 8:43 am
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Kyanite » February 5th, 2019, 6:18 pm

HippoLowercase wrote:Hey, does anyone know how to differentiate between coelophysis, and velociraptor? Any thoughts would help!


Velociraptor had 3 distinct fingers, Coelophysis had 4. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

HippoLowercase
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: February 5th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby HippoLowercase » February 5th, 2019, 6:18 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
HippoLowercase wrote:Hey, does anyone know how to differentiate between coelophysis, and velociraptor? Any thoughts would help!

Velociraptor is smaller, around 2 feet tall. Coelophysis has four digits while velociraptor has three. Velociraptor's inner toe has a large claw.

Wow that was pretty fast. Thanks for the help!

HippoLowercase
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: February 5th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby HippoLowercase » February 5th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Kyanite wrote:
HippoLowercase wrote:Hey, does anyone know how to differentiate between coelophysis, and velociraptor? Any thoughts would help!


Velociraptor had 3 distinct fingers, Coelophysis had 4. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Another person mentioned this, so I think it's correct. Thanks for the help!

User avatar
Kyanite
Member
Member
Posts: 202
Joined: November 6th, 2017, 8:43 am
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Kyanite » February 5th, 2019, 6:22 pm

HippoLowercase wrote:
Kyanite wrote:
HippoLowercase wrote:Hey, does anyone know how to differentiate between coelophysis, and velociraptor? Any thoughts would help!


Velociraptor had 3 distinct fingers, Coelophysis had 4. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Another person mentioned this, so I think it's correct. Thanks for the help!


Replies had not loaded for me yet, I guess they were quicker then me :lol:

HippoLowercase
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: February 5th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby HippoLowercase » February 5th, 2019, 6:32 pm

hmmm wrote:
HippoLowercase wrote:Hey, does anyone know how to differentiate between coelophysis, and velociraptor? Any thoughts would help!

From my binder: "Coelophysis's skull is long, thin, and curves downward. Velociraptor's skull curves slightly upward,has a pronounced bump at the end of the snout. Coelophysis has three toes on each foot while Velociraptor has four toes on each foot."

Other people responded to my question with coelophysis having 4 toes on each foot while velociraptor having 3 toes. I just searched it and found that coelophysis has 3 long toes and 1 short one. For velociraptor, the result was 3 toes on each foot. Anyways, thanks for the help!

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3999
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Unome » February 5th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Girlpower05 wrote:
Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Platanus generally has differently shaped leaflets and (for lack of better words) a smaller "leaf angle"

The branching pattern of the veins is the most consistent identifier.

Can you explain how the branching patterns are different? Also, how is this image Platanus?
Image

That image is not a good example - I'm not even certain whether that's actually Platanus. Acer has all of its main veins branch off at a single node, while Platanus branches into 3 main veins, and then each of the two side ones branch again for a total of five.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
State: -

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby AwersomeUser » February 5th, 2019, 7:53 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:also, are all the fossils that i am going to be identifying be a physical fossil? or can they be on photos too? also do i need a magnifying glass? i don't want to buy one (if my school doesn't have any to borrow to me).

They can be either physical or photos. You will probably not need a magnifying glass.

AwersomeUser wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:Compacting the photos and saving space isn't as important for this event, since you can have up to a 3 inch binder. I have one page of information and the back is for photos, I usually have 3 per genus. You should put whatever taxonomic classifications there are, even though they probably won't test you on too much of it. Just in case.


And also do I need to know the subclasses or orders? like for genus astraeospongia. I don't think I do, right?

Classification questions are theoretically restricted to what is listed on the Fossil List. I would note the full classification of each specimen somewhere.


Ok thanks but do I need to go into details like this:
https://resizeimage.net/mypic/HxF8V4Adel1hJmOX/uVaxj/7efb67e9-c916-47f2-b2bb-33430d.jpg?
Last edited by AwersomeUser on February 6th, 2019, 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
State: -

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby AwersomeUser » February 5th, 2019, 7:55 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:also, are all the fossils that i am going to be identifying be a physical fossil? or can they be on photos too? also do i need a magnifying glass? i don't want to buy one (if my school doesn't have any to borrow to me).

They can be either physical or photos. You will probably not need a magnifying glass.

AwersomeUser wrote:
And also do I need to know the subclasses or orders? like for genus astraeospongia. I don't think I do, right?

Classification questions are theoretically restricted to what is listed on the Fossil List. I would note the full classification of each specimen somewhere.


Ok thanks but do I need to go into details like this:
Image ?


Or is just putting what subclasses there are or one sentence description is fine?
Last edited by AwersomeUser on February 6th, 2019, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meilingkuo
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: December 2nd, 2018, 8:13 pm

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby meilingkuo » February 6th, 2019, 1:20 am

MadCow2357 wrote:
meilingkuo wrote:I am coaching two kids for the fossils event. They have made a pretty good binder with all information. However, they just could not seem to finish all questions in time before moving on to the next station. It seems that they spend a lot of time flipping the pages to look up the answers for confirmation. Does anybody has suggestion? Does memorization certain information help to speed up? Does any kind of summary table help? We need help to improve performance.

Yes, I would try to memorize stuff. That helps when you are on a time crunch, and memorizing where pages are in your binder also helps you find them. I'd use a table of contents, and tab dividers for easy flipping.

Thanks. That is what I just figured out after a practice run at school. I am thinking about at least try to memorize the genus name as much as possible for rapid ID type of question and some important facts. Any other suggestions?
They have a month before their regional. Hopefully they will be prepared by then.


Return to “Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron