Fossils B/C

dchen22
Division: C
State: MA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby dchen22 » March 2nd, 2019, 4:26 pm

wec01 wrote:
Unome wrote:
dchen22 wrote:Does anyone happen to know if Cryptolithus and Phacops/Eldredgeops were natant, conterminent, or impendent (or none of the above)?

I would recommend looking at some images.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume Cryptolithus was natant and Eldredgeops was conterminent. Generally conterminent hypostomes are associated with a predatory lifestyle, and Eldredgeops is thought to be predatory while Cryptolithus is not. I would still look it up though (I probably will too).

I would assume the same but I couldn’t find any sources and because Cryptolithus filter-fed with its fenestrae, it might not even have had a hypostome?

wec01
State: VA

Postby wec01 » March 2nd, 2019, 4:57 pm

dchen22 wrote:
wec01 wrote:
Unome wrote:I would recommend looking at some images.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume Cryptolithus was natant and Eldredgeops was conterminent. Generally conterminent hypostomes are associated with a predatory lifestyle, and Eldredgeops is thought to be predatory while Cryptolithus is not. I would still look it up though (I probably will too).

I would assume the same but I couldn’t find any sources and because Cryptolithus filter-fed with its fenestrae, it might not even have had a hypostome?

I think it's safer to assume that it had one and it was natant because if it didn't I feel like that would be very distinctive and would come up often in searches. I'm guessing the fenestrae aided with filtering the water but particles still went past the hypostome on the way into the digestive system.
Events
2017-18: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Optics, Chem Lab
2018-19: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Sounds of Music, Fossils

hmmm
Division: B
State: NJ

Postby hmmm » March 6th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Is Astraeospongia class Heteractinida or Calcarea?
The websites I found disagree.
Community 2017-2019
2017-2018
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology

2018-2019:
LISO/Rustin/Regionals/Garnet/Cornell/States/Nats
Fossils:3/6/1/1/1/2/-
Water Quality:1/2/-/1/6/1/-
Game On:1/2/-/1/2/3/-
Disease Detectives:-/-/-/6/-/-/-

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 6th, 2019, 6:32 pm

hmmm wrote:Is Astraeospongia class Heteractinida or Calcarea?

If you have conflicting taxonomy information, you'll want to try to figure out where the controversy comes from and note the different possible names in your binder.

BennyTheJett
State: WI

Postby BennyTheJett » March 6th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Taxonomy is dumb and flawed. the wiki here has Heteractinida. I'd trust that, since it's written by fellow science geeks who probably know their stuff.
2019 Events
DyPlan 8-) , Geomaps :D , Fossils :| , Herpetology :evil:

One Earthy Boi

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 6th, 2019, 6:52 pm

BennyTheJett wrote:

Taxonomy is dumb and flawed. the wiki here has Heteractinida. I'd trust that, since it's written by fellow science geeks who probably know their stuff.

Heteractinida isn't a class though, at least according to Wikipedia. I wouldn't say taxonomy is necessarily dumb and flawed, just that it's incredibly difficult to put organisms that only existed million years of ago into definite groups—it's difficult to even tell if two specimens belong to the same species!

BennyTheJett
State: WI

Postby BennyTheJett » March 6th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Clades. I rest my case. Also, idk (not good at fossils), but you are right. Since it's a grade i'd go with the other one lmao.
2019 Events
DyPlan 8-) , Geomaps :D , Fossils :| , Herpetology :evil:

One Earthy Boi

dchen22
State: MA

Postby dchen22 » March 7th, 2019, 2:58 am

I have it listed as class Calcarea and order Heteractinida.

hmmm
State: NJ

Postby hmmm » March 7th, 2019, 1:11 pm

How do you differentiate Carcharodon,Carcharocles, Megalodon,and Selachimorpha, especially given that some are subsets of another?
Community 2017-2019
2017-2018
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology

2018-2019:
LISO/Rustin/Regionals/Garnet/Cornell/States/Nats
Fossils:3/6/1/1/1/2/-
Water Quality:1/2/-/1/6/1/-
Game On:1/2/-/1/2/3/-
Disease Detectives:-/-/-/6/-/-/-

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 7th, 2019, 1:32 pm

hmmm wrote:How do you differentiate Carcharodon,Carcharocles, Megalodon,and Selachimorpha, especially given that some are subsets of another?

Carcharodon, Carcharocles, and C. megalodon are all members of Superorder Selachimorpha (sharks). Carcharocles has four-ish species, one of which is C. megalodon. Differences between Carcharodon and Carcharocles include the teeth and the relative sizes.

I'm somewhat unsure about what you're asking though—you don't differentiate between birds and chickens, do you? It doesn't really make sense to differentiate between Superorder Selachimorpha and Genus Carcharodon or Genus Carcharocles and C. megalodon.

SweetPotato134

Postby SweetPotato134 » March 7th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Earlier (like wayyyyy earlier, pages 3-5 ish?) there was clarification between genus Carchardon and genus Carcharocles specifically

Nba2302

Postby Nba2302 » March 7th, 2019, 4:50 pm

I'm kind of weirded out by the regionals test I took. In a bunch of the stations there were pop references to the fossils like "what popular video game is this fossil in(dunkleosteus)" and "this fossil was attacked by (forgot the dinosaur name ) in Jurassic Park, name the genus that attacked the dinosaur"
:?:

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 7th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Nba2302 wrote:I'm kind of weirded out by the regionals test I took. In a bunch of the stations there were pop references to the fossils like "what popular video game is this fossil in(dunkleosteus)" and "this fossil was attacked by (forgot the dinosaur name ) in Jurassic Park, name the genus that attacked the dinosaur"

I guess you never know what you'll get

wec01
State: VA

Postby wec01 » March 8th, 2019, 11:48 am

Nba2302 wrote:I'm kind of weirded out by the regionals test I took. In a bunch of the stations there were pop references to the fossils like "what popular video game is this fossil in(dunkleosteus)" and "this fossil was attacked by (forgot the dinosaur name ) in Jurassic Park, name the genus that attacked the dinosaur"

Jurassic Park questions aren't too uncommon, although that's oddly specific
Events
2017-18: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Optics, Chem Lab
2018-19: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Sounds of Music, Fossils

DragonTownEpic
State: CA

Postby DragonTownEpic » March 8th, 2019, 8:54 pm

wec01 wrote:

Jurassic Park questions aren't too uncommon, although that's oddly specific

Really? I've never seen a Jurassic Park question. That seems a little unfair to people who haven't watched the movie...
I will dab on stage twice if I get an award at a SciOly Competition. If you and I go to a competition, and I get an award, you will probably know who I am.

And, if you see me:
Stand up.
And then dab.
See you there!

Return to “Study Events”