Fossils B/C

User avatar
isotelus
Member
Member
Posts: 76
Joined: May 23rd, 2018, 6:32 pm
Division: B
State: TX

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby isotelus » March 8th, 2019, 9:34 pm

DragonTownEpic wrote:
wec01 wrote:
Nba2302 wrote:I'm kind of weirded out by the regionals test I took. In a bunch of the stations there were pop references to the fossils like "what popular video game is this fossil in(dunkleosteus)" and "this fossil was attacked by (forgot the dinosaur name ) in Jurassic Park, name the genus that attacked the dinosaur"
:?:


Jurassic Park questions aren't too uncommon, although that's oddly specific

Really? I've never seen a Jurassic Park question. That seems a little unfair to people who haven't watched the movie...

Yeah, that's pretty weird. I would consider that illegal as nowhere in the rules does it mention to know exactly what happened in movies and video games. Jurassic Park questions usually are somewhere along the lines of "Which paleontologist assisted in the making of Jurassic Park", etc., but the examples you provided are probably illegal questions.

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby wec01 » March 9th, 2019, 6:16 am

isotelus wrote:
DragonTownEpic wrote:
wec01 wrote:
Jurassic Park questions aren't too uncommon, although that's oddly specific

Really? I've never seen a Jurassic Park question. That seems a little unfair to people who haven't watched the movie...

Yeah, that's pretty weird. I would consider that illegal as nowhere in the rules does it mention to know exactly what happened in movies and video games. Jurassic Park questions usually are somewhere along the lines of "Which paleontologist assisted in the making of Jurassic Park", etc., but the examples you provided are probably illegal questions.


I haven't seen any at competition this year but they have come up in a couple of the practice tests I've taken. Maybe it has something to do with different rules in the past?
Events
2017-18: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Optics, Chem Lab
2018-19: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Sounds of Music, Fossils

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1368
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 9th, 2019, 9:10 am

wec01 wrote:
isotelus wrote:
DragonTownEpic wrote:Really? I've never seen a Jurassic Park question. That seems a little unfair to people who haven't watched the movie...

Yeah, that's pretty weird. I would consider that illegal as nowhere in the rules does it mention to know exactly what happened in movies and video games. Jurassic Park questions usually are somewhere along the lines of "Which paleontologist assisted in the making of Jurassic Park", etc., but the examples you provided are probably illegal questions.


I haven't seen any at competition this year but they have come up in a couple of the practice tests I've taken. Maybe it has something to do with different rules in the past?

No, test writers just stray outside the rules occasionally.

jennarholt
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: December 31st, 2018, 7:57 pm
Division: B
State: NC

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby jennarholt » March 18th, 2019, 5:55 pm

What are some examples of questions that would be asked on a state level? We placed first in fossils for regionals, but I think the questions on there were really easy and simple (which I doubt will happen at states), and given the vague information of our binder, I know I need to revamp it within the next month. My last page literally just says, "ferns, they were ferns, they have fronds and spores". What would y'all recommend to put when going into detail, and which specimens would be the most important to start on?

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby wec01 » March 18th, 2019, 6:47 pm

jennarholt wrote:What are some examples of questions that would be asked on a state level? We placed first in fossils for regionals, but I think the questions on there were really easy and simple (which I doubt will happen at states), and given the vague information of our binder, I know I need to revamp it within the next month. My last page literally just says, "ferns, they were ferns, they have fronds and spores". What would y'all recommend to put when going into detail, and which specimens would be the most important to start on?

There are some details that you can add for pretty much every specimen such as:
- age/time range
- ecology (diet, habitat, if you have time possibly predator-prey relationships)
- index fossil status

There are also details which may apply to specific taxa like:
- type of eyes for trilobites
- rugose vs tabulate vs sleractinian corals
- anapsid vs euryapsid vs synapsid vs diapsid dinosaurs (and other vertebrates)

Finally, make sure to have information on things mentioned in the rules besides just the things on the list such as:
- the different lagerstatten and their significance
- modes of preservation
- extinction events

As for which specimens that would be best to start on, it's kind of hard to say since most likely the test writers will try to represent a wide array of specimens, however there are definitely some that are easier to write questions about than others, like Archaeopteryx. In general, I'd say if you're not finding much on a specimen, then the test writers aren't either and you can just get some of the basic information. Of course, ideally you would come back to these and research them more thoroughly if you have time.
Events
2017-18: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Optics, Chem Lab
2018-19: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Sounds of Music, Fossils

User avatar
hmmm
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: January 10th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Division: B
State: NJ
Location: the universe

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby hmmm » March 18th, 2019, 6:51 pm

What's the difference between coelocanthiformes and actinopterygii in ID?
Community 2017-2019
2017-2018
Rocks and Minerals, Ecology

2018-2019:
LISO/Rustin/Regionals/Garnet/Cornell/States/Nats
Fossils:3/6/1/1/1/2/-
Water Quality:1/2/-/1/6/1/-
Game On:1/2/-/1/2/3/-
Disease Detectives:-/-/-/6/-/-/-

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby wec01 » March 18th, 2019, 7:04 pm

hmmm wrote:What's the difference between coelocanthiformes and actinopterygii in ID?

One big difference is the fins; coelocanths are lobe-finned and actinopterygii are ray-finned
This can be pretty clearly seen in the tails where coelocanths are more fleshy? I guess you could say? (not sure how you would describe it) and actinopterygii has long rays and the tail is often split.
Events
2017-18: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Optics, Chem Lab
2018-19: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Sounds of Music, Fossils

Bread
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: September 18th, 2018, 3:13 pm
Division: B
State: IN
Location: TJ

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Bread » March 18th, 2019, 7:20 pm

wec01 wrote:
hmmm wrote:What's the difference between coelocanthiformes and actinopterygii in ID?
One big difference is the fins; coelocanths are lobe-finned and actinopterygii are ray-finned
This can be pretty clearly seen in the tails where coelocanths are more fleshy? I guess you could say? (not sure how you would describe it) and actinopterygii has long rays and the tail is often split.
Yeah that's how I usually identify sarcopterygii and actinopterygii. The tail in sarcopterygii (and coelacanthiformes) is typically more convex while the tail in sarcopterygii is typically concave.

User avatar
jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 13
Joined: April 30th, 2018, 8:29 am
Division: C
State: MO
Location: at home, in bed

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby jaspattack » March 20th, 2019, 11:10 am

Where do you guys usually find info on the plant genera on the list? I'm having difficulty finding more specific information on extant ones, such as when they first appeared or things like that.
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle
2017-18 Events (B): Rocks and Minerals, Wright Stuff, Write It Do It
I edit the wiki sometimes.

jennarholt
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: December 31st, 2018, 7:57 pm
Division: B
State: NC

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby jennarholt » March 20th, 2019, 1:11 pm

jaspattack wrote:Where do you guys usually find info on the plant genera on the list? I'm having difficulty finding more specific information on extant ones, such as when they first appeared or things like that.

I found mine but just searching a lot and wikipedia, although I can't guarantee that gives you everything (my last page literally just says it's a fern it has fronds)

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby wec01 » March 20th, 2019, 4:36 pm

jennarholt wrote:
jaspattack wrote:Where do you guys usually find info on the plant genera on the list? I'm having difficulty finding more specific information on extant ones, such as when they first appeared or things like that.

I found mine but just searching a lot and wikipedia, although I can't guarantee that gives you everything (my last page literally just says it's a fern it has fronds)

Yeah, honestly once you have basic information like angiosperm or gymnosperm, seeds or spores, etc., and you can ID them, you'll probably get most of the questions on plants. The main one you should look into more thoroughly is probably Lepidodendron, but the others also have a few aspects that are often tested on. As for timeline information, fossilworks seems to be helpful: http://fossilworks.org/bridge.pl?a=taxonInfo&taxon_no=81701
here is the page on Acer, for example, and you can search for the others.
Events
2017-18: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Optics, Chem Lab
2018-19: Thermodynamics, Forensics, Sounds of Music, Fossils

User avatar
jaspattack
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 13
Joined: April 30th, 2018, 8:29 am
Division: C
State: MO
Location: at home, in bed

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby jaspattack » March 22nd, 2019, 6:41 am

Thank you guys! My regional test questions about plants were pretty easy, but I wanted to make sure I was prepared as possible for state (-:
2018-19 Events (C): Designer Genes, Experimental Design, Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle
2017-18 Events (B): Rocks and Minerals, Wright Stuff, Write It Do It
I edit the wiki sometimes.


Return to “Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest