Fossils B/C

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1088
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 25th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Rock&Roll92 wrote:What would be some good resources
to find information for each genus, class, order, etc?

Honestly, just look everything up. I haven't found a database that even has them all. Go to the library. Check out field guides. There's also info on the wiki page if you go the Fossils page and then click Fossils List. The information is pretty scattershot.

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 221
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: R.C. Murphy JHS
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby kate! » October 25th, 2018, 6:22 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Rock&Roll92 wrote:What would be some good resources
to find information for each genus, class, order, etc?

Honestly, just look everything up. I haven't found a database that even has them all. Go to the library. Check out field guides. There's also info on the wiki page if you go the Fossils page and then click Fossils List. The information is pretty scattershot.

Adding on to this, I personally just use any website I can find. Don't worry if you can't get all the information, some of the invertebrates are really hard to find resources for. Also, a good field guide to use in addition to the internet is Auduobon's or Smithsonian.
I know stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I kind of know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, fossils, and water... hopefully I'll get to keep learning.

User avatar
Kyanite
Member
Member
Posts: 187
Joined: November 6th, 2017, 8:43 am
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Kyanite » October 26th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Rock&Roll92 wrote:What would be some good resources
to find information for each genus, class, order, etc?


PDFs for textbooks can be helpful along with blogs and sites managed by fossil enthusiasts

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 512
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: B
State: MO
Location: contemplating my life choices
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby dxu46 » October 28th, 2018, 1:20 pm

On a related note to the Ammonoidea problem a week ago, why does Superorder Selachimorpha have specific genuses and is numbered? Furthermore, why is Genus Carcharocles numbered when it has a specific species under it? The note at the bottom of the fossils list says that "numbers indicate that members of that taxon rank should be identifiable to that level." Because genuses under Selachimorpha are numbered, doesn't that mean that the 52) Superorder Selachimorpha is redundant?
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3667
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Unome » October 28th, 2018, 1:37 pm

dxu46 wrote:On a related note to the Ammonoidea problem a week ago, why does Superorder Selachimorpha have specific genuses and is numbered? Furthermore, why is Genus Carcharocles numbered when it has a specific species under it? The note at the bottom of the fossils list says that "numbers indicate that members of that taxon rank should be identifiable to that level." Because genuses under Selachimorpha are numbered, doesn't that mean that the 52) Superorder Selachimorpha is redundant?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're able to ID them anyway, it's a moot point.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 512
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: B
State: MO
Location: contemplating my life choices
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby dxu46 » October 28th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Unome wrote:
dxu46 wrote:On a related note to the Ammonoidea problem a week ago, why does Superorder Selachimorpha have specific genuses and is numbered? Furthermore, why is Genus Carcharocles numbered when it has a specific species under it? The note at the bottom of the fossils list says that "numbers indicate that members of that taxon rank should be identifiable to that level." Because genuses under Selachimorpha are numbered, doesn't that mean that the 52) Superorder Selachimorpha is redundant?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're able to ID them anyway, it's a moot point.

Our coach strictly adheres to the list, so for testing this week it would be 50-56 and 67-81. What should I say?
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3667
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Unome » October 28th, 2018, 1:41 pm

dxu46 wrote:
Unome wrote:
dxu46 wrote:On a related note to the Ammonoidea problem a week ago, why does Superorder Selachimorpha have specific genuses and is numbered? Furthermore, why is Genus Carcharocles numbered when it has a specific species under it? The note at the bottom of the fossils list says that "numbers indicate that members of that taxon rank should be identifiable to that level." Because genuses under Selachimorpha are numbered, doesn't that mean that the 52) Superorder Selachimorpha is redundant?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're able to ID them anyway, it's a moot point.

Our coach strictly adheres to the list, so for testing this week it would be 50-56 and 67-81. What should I say?

No idea. The decision is his/her concern, and not all that relevant to you if you already know them all.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 512
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: B
State: MO
Location: contemplating my life choices
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby dxu46 » October 29th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Question: How does one distinguish Carcharodon and Carcharocles?
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

User avatar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1088
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: (0, 0)
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » October 29th, 2018, 5:30 pm

dxu46 wrote:Question: How does one distinguish Carcharodon and Carcharocles?

The most notable difference is size. Carcharocles is huge, like really huge. That said, I can't really think of another way.

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 512
Joined: April 11th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Division: B
State: MO
Location: contemplating my life choices
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby dxu46 » October 29th, 2018, 5:35 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dxu46 wrote:Question: How does one distinguish Carcharodon and Carcharocles?

The most notable difference is size. Carcharocles is huge, like really huge. That said, I can't really think of another way.

But how do you distinguish if you're just given pictures?
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3667
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Unome » October 29th, 2018, 6:04 pm

dxu46 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dxu46 wrote:Question: How does one distinguish Carcharodon and Carcharocles?

The most notable difference is size. Carcharocles is huge, like really huge. That said, I can't really think of another way.

But how do you distinguish if you're just given pictures?

Carcharodon teeth are straighter and slightly narrower. The teeth are by far the most preserved part of Carcharocles megalodon, so this should work in the majority of cases (unless you just have a vertebra).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 530
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:39 am
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby ScottMaurer19 » October 30th, 2018, 4:37 am

Unome wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:The most notable difference is size. Carcharocles is huge, like really huge. That said, I can't really think of another way.

But how do you distinguish if you're just given pictures?

Carcharodon teeth are straighter and slightly narrower. The teeth are by far the most preserved part of Carcharocles megalodon, so this should work in the majority of cases (unless you just have a vertebra).

I also remember seeing (don't quote me on this as it was a quick google search months ago) that there was something to do with the serrations as well as the shape (that Unome mentioned)
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019?
Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Total Top 3 Placements: 100

User avatar
Kyanite
Member
Member
Posts: 187
Joined: November 6th, 2017, 8:43 am
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Kyanite » October 31st, 2018, 10:45 am

dxu46 wrote:Question: How does one distinguish Carcharodon and Carcharocles?


You can tell the difference between the two if you are given the teeth by looking at the cutting edges, Carcharodon lacks serrations on the cutting edge while Carcharocles has these serrations on the cutting edge. Further the teeth of Carcharocles have a space above the root where dentine is exposed (also called a bourlette) while Carcharodon lacks this feature.

mtownley
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: November 3rd, 2018, 10:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby mtownley » November 3rd, 2018, 10:21 pm

Unome wrote:For those interested, UGA posted their invitational tests, which include the Fossils test that I wrote.

Link to tests folder

The high score was around 70 points, with the typical quick drop-off near the top.


Thank you for this! I am helping my son's SciOly team this year and am grateful for all the help!

ethanm13
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: October 24th, 2018, 2:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby ethanm13 » November 6th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Anyone cracking up googling "Boring fossils"? LOL


Return to “Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest