Fossils B/C

Nba2302

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby Nba2302 » November 7th, 2018, 5:46 pm

Is there a good way to memorize how all the fossils look like?

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » November 7th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Nba2302 wrote:Is there a good way to memorize how all the fossils look like?

Look at them a lot ;)

But really, they're pretty different and the ID in fossils is much easier than in other ID events, so all you need is practice.

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » November 7th, 2018, 8:25 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:

Look at them a lot ;)

But really, they're pretty different and the ID in fossils is much easier than in other ID events, so all you need is practice.

I beg to differ :cry:
(especially the dinosaurs...)
Ladue Science Olympiad!
Projected 2019 events: Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Game On, Road Scholar
Summary of 2018 season: :D :shock: :) :roll: :evil: 8-) :| :cry:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
Friend me here!

Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA

Postby Kyanite » November 7th, 2018, 8:59 pm

PowerPoint/Flashcards of names and pictures. If you are worried about physical specimens go to a local museum or rock shop. But really you should be memorizing how to recognize them rather then what they look like, as each specimen is different.

isotelus
State: TX

Postby isotelus » November 7th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Kyanite wrote:

PowerPoint/Flashcards of names and pictures. If you are worried about physical specimens go to a local museum or rock shop. But really you should be memorizing how to recognize them rather then what they look like, as each specimen is different.

I agree. Try and memorize some telltale signs for every organism (especially if they look similar to other organisms on the list), just like Kyanite said. It will help you out in the long run.
Fossils, Solar System, Elastic Launched Gliders
Anatomy and Physiology, Herpetology

Carrot
State: OH

Postby Carrot » November 8th, 2018, 5:46 am

When being asked to identify an organism's geologic time frame, how specific do you need to be? For example, nummulites can be said to be Cenozoic, Paleogene and Neocene, and Eocene to Miocene (some sources even have it going to a more specific range).

TheThunder

Postby TheThunder » November 8th, 2018, 7:28 am

Hello!
This is the first time I have done this event. Currently, all we are doing is paraphrasing what comes off of the internet. We are just starting to put pictures on there. I have 3 questions:

Is there something that we should be doing different?
How many pages will we be able to take, if any?
Any other suggestions for us newcomers to Fossils?

Thanks!

-Thunder

Kyanite

Postby Kyanite » November 8th, 2018, 10:37 am

TheThunder wrote:Hello!
This is the first time I have done this event. Currently, all we are doing is paraphrasing what comes off of the internet. We are just starting to put pictures on there. I have 3 questions:

Is there something that we should be doing different?
How many pages will we be able to take, if any?
Any other suggestions for us newcomers to Fossils?

Thanks!

-Thunder

Check with your team to see if you can look at how past participants on your team have structured their notes, they often have a format that includes specific information such as the time period it lived in, environment, eating habits etc. Then you follow this format as best as you can for all the others on the list so that you have essential information down. You are allowed to fill a 3 inch binder or smaller, with as much information as you want. Advice would be to study/do old tests and also make sure to learn how to identify the specimens listed quickly.
Last edited by Kyanite on November 8th, 2018, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kyanite

Postby Kyanite » November 8th, 2018, 10:46 am

Carrot wrote:When being asked to identify an organism's geologic time frame, how specific do you need to be? For example, nummulites can be said to be Cenozoic, Paleogene and Neocene, and Eocene to Miocene (some sources even have it going to a more specific range).

This is often a grey area (pretty similar to the issues with herpetology) as there can be a multitude of correct answers, but it really comes down to the test writer and how they wish to grade the question for accuracy. Some test writers will accept an answer within a wide range while others take answers from a small range. Sadly there is really no solid way to go about answering these questions as each test writer can vary greatly. You really have to either go with your gut or go with whichever range is the most widely agreed upon by the sources you use. Hopefully the test writers will be aware of this issue and avoid contested information and stick to asking about index fossils and when they lived as they do not have such varying ranges.

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » November 8th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Kyanite wrote:
Carrot wrote:When being asked to identify an organism's geologic time frame, how specific do you need to be? For example, nummulites can be said to be Cenozoic, Paleogene and Neocene, and Eocene to Miocene (some sources even have it going to a more specific range).

This is often a grey area (pretty similar to the issues with herpetology) as there can be a multitude of correct answers, but it really comes down to the test writer and how they wish to grade the question for accuracy. Some test writers will accept an answer within a wide range while others take answers from a small range. Sadly there is really no solid way to go about answering these questions as each test writer can vary greatly. You really have to either go with your gut or go with whichever range is the most widely agreed upon by the sources you use. Hopefully the test writers will be aware of this issue and avoid contested information and stick to asking about index fossils and when they lived as they do not have such varying ranges.

I would suggest going with periods as a general rule and then going more specific if the question calls for it.

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » November 10th, 2018, 5:06 pm

For all intents and purposes in this event, are amber and copal the same thing?
I know stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I kind of know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, fossils, and water... hopefully I'll get to keep learning.

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » November 10th, 2018, 5:12 pm

kate! wrote:For all intents and purposes in this event, are amber and copal the same thing?

They're not the same thing, but they both fossilize organisms similarly.
https://buybalticamber.com/2018/04/16/amber-vs-copal/

404ic
State: -

Postby 404ic » November 20th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

What fossils exactly do we have to be able to identify? On the official list, the fossils are ranked 1-102. For example, the first one is 1) Order Fusulinida. Right above this is Phylum Foraminifera (Forams), which is not numbered. Additionally, in Phylum Echinodermata, Class Blastoidea is not numbered. Do I only have to compile information about the 102 numbered items, or do I have to compile information on everything in the list (like the bolded and underlined phylums, unnumbered classes like Balstoidea, etc.)?

Thanks.

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » November 20th, 2018, 3:07 pm

404ic wrote:Hi everyone,

What fossils exactly do we have to be able to identify? On the official list, the fossils are ranked 1-102. For example, the first one is 1) Order Fusulinida. Right above this is Phylum Foraminifera (Forams), which is not numbered. Additionally, in Phylum Echinodermata, Class Blastoidea is not numbered. Do I only have to compile information about the 102 numbered items, or do I have to compile information on everything in the list (like the bolded and underlined phylums, unnumbered classes like Balstoidea, etc.)?

Thanks.

It would be good to compile information about all of the items on the list. You have to identify the numbered items.

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » November 21st, 2018, 2:28 pm

What exactly do we need to have information on for the section labeled "Adaptations and morphological features of major fossil groups"?
I know stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Now I kind of know stuff about amphibians, reptiles, fossils, and water... hopefully I'll get to keep learning.

Return to “Study Events”