Heredity B

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN

Heredity B

Postby pikachu4919 » August 16th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Heredity B: Participants will solve problems and analyze data or diagrams using their knowledge of the basic principles of genetics.

Heredity Wiki

Heredity Test Exchange 2014

Past Threads: 2013, 2014

Past Question Marathons: 2014
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

Purdue WL SciOly Exec Board
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scienceo/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/purduescioly

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

24chrisharl
Division: B
State: UT

Re: Heredity B

Postby 24chrisharl » November 1st, 2018, 1:53 pm

This is my first year doing heredity, could I get some tips?

hgmsscienceolympiad
State: -

Postby hgmsscienceolympiad » November 3rd, 2018, 4:32 pm

24chrisharl wrote:This is my first year doing heredity, could I get some tips?

Hey!

Start simple: understand the definitions of what you are going to be tested on (monohybrid cross, dihybrid cross, etc). I discovered a Youtube channel called the Amoeba Sisters, and I wish they'd existed when I was in college...perhaps I wouldn't have dropped my biology major...anyway...

After that, practice as many types of monohybrid crosses as possible until it comes second nature. Add another trait: dihybrid cross. Keep adding topics in.

Do some research on Queen Victoria's hemophilia (AKA Christmas's disease) and trace the trait from Queen Victoria through the royal houses of Europe (cool tie in to history is how the hemophilia of her great-grandson may be responsible for the murder of the Romanovs and end of monarchy in Russian). This will help you examine sex-linked traits and introduce pedigree. Also: the Amoeba Sisters still have amazing videos on their Youtube channel!

Please let me know if I can help- this is the third time I have coached this event! :)

emxl
State: -

Postby emxl » December 2nd, 2018, 9:48 am

This might be a kind of stupid question, but would they have Nats topics on invitational tests? In the Heredity rules they have Regional and State topics and then ones that you would only be tested on for Nats, but I don't know where invitationals would fall under. Thanks!
noot noot

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » December 2nd, 2018, 10:57 am

emxl wrote:This might be a kind of stupid question, but would they have Nats topics on invitational tests? In the Heredity rules they have Regional and State topics and then ones that you would only be tested on for Nats, but I don't know where invitationals would fall under. Thanks!

Invitational tests usually will not have national topics, but some might.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

ledwards003
State: OH

Postby ledwards003 » December 13th, 2018, 5:08 pm

Hi! I am not sure what exactly I should put on my heredity cheat sheet, as this is my first year doing this event and I do not know what should be on the paper. If anyone could help, that would be wonderful. Thank you!

amk578
State: IN

Postby amk578 » December 16th, 2018, 5:11 pm

ledwards003 wrote:Hi! I am not sure what exactly I should put on my heredity cheat sheet, as this is my first year doing this event and I do not know what should be on the paper. If anyone could help, that would be wonderful. Thank you!

Cover all of the topics in the rules (but only include information that you don't have memorized). You should also maybe include a codon table/wheel in case the ES doesn't provide it in the test. Also, it may be helpful to have the History of Genetics (i.e. scientists, the Human Genome Project, etc.) as I've seen practice tests that ask questions about Watson & Crick and like Oswald Avery. Finally, you may want to include diagrams, such as: the enzymes for DNA replication, skeletal structure of nucleotides and nitrogenous bases, and maybe pedigree symbols.
2017: Road Scholar and Rocks & Minerals
2018: Anatomy & Physiology, Crime Busters, and Road Scholar

Medal Count: 12
2019 Competitions: Valpo/Northridge/Mishawaka/Regionals/State
Anatomy and Physiology: -/-/-/-/-
Disease Detectives: -/-/-/-/-
Heredity: -/-/-/-/-
Road Scholar: -/-/-/-/-

Return to “Study Events”