Name
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Codebusters C

Post by Name »

Nyerr wrote: October 1st, 2019, 6:57 pm
knightmoves wrote: October 1st, 2019, 6:55 pm
Nyerr wrote: October 1st, 2019, 6:42 pm You actually can by figuring out what the key is by looking for coincidences between rows of shifts...et cetera. Theres a good video by Theoretically that explains it well. But yea. Just that ciphertext with nothing else.
Not with 8 letters of cyphertext, you can't. Sure, with a long cyphertext you can break Vigenere with frequency analysis techniques, but if all you have is an 8 letter cyphertext, your key could easily be 8 letters, and what you have is an encryption with an unknown one-time pad. By construction, that is unbreakable.

Sure - you could guess an 8 letter answer (Olympiad, perhaps) but all answers are achievable.
Olympiad was actually the answer! You're right, thats the issue i encountered. So why would they put an unsolvable question on a test? Or are they testing how clever we are...
whoever wrote it probably forgot to mention the key in the hint.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
Nyerr
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nyerr »

Name wrote: October 1st, 2019, 7:57 pm
knightmoves wrote: October 1st, 2019, 6:55 pm

Not with 8 letters of cyphertext, you can't. Sure, with a long cyphertext you can break Vigenere with frequency analysis techniques, but if all you have is an 8 letter cyphertext, your key could easily be 8 letters, and what you have is an encryption with an unknown one-time pad. By construction, that is unbreakable.

Sure - you could guess an 8 letter answer (Olympiad, perhaps) but all answers are achievable.
Olympiad was actually the answer! You're right, thats the issue i encountered. So why would they put an unsolvable question on a test? Or are they testing how clever we are...
I was thinking that - but also Princeton.
jaggie34
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by jaggie34 »

Nyerr wrote: October 1st, 2019, 8:13 pm
We could reverse engineer the key and see if it's anything meaningful?
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess
Nyerr

Post by Nyerr »

jaggie34 wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 8:17 am
The key was "SCIENCES". I got that, but nothing was given other than ciphertext
Longivitis
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by Longivitis »

Nyerr wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 8:47 am
jaggie34 wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 8:17 am
The key was "SCIENCES". I got that, but nothing was given other than ciphertext
That was probably a mistake from the test writer considering the other questions look fine... but given the point value I think this was on purpose, which is interesting because I don't believe anyone could have guessed that.
University of Texas at Austin '23
Cypress Lakes High School '19

Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Game On, Science Word, Towers, We've Got Your Number
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Longivitis wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 11:25 am That was probably a mistake from the test writer considering the other questions look fine... but given the point value I think this was on purpose, which is interesting because I don't believe anyone could have guessed that.
Well, I did guess it on the previous page. Olympiad was the most obvious 8 letter word that was connected to the event, and that's how people who think they are cute tend to think. (Princeton is 9 letters, otherwise that might have been a candidate). Some people love to ask the "guess what I'm thinking" question - they ask a vague open-ended type question with many possible reasonable answers, but only consider the answer that they thought of as "correct" and every other true statement is "wrong". I have strong words for how I feel about those people, and I probably shouldn't use them on this forum.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Umaroth »

knightmoves wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 6:43 am
Longivitis wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 11:25 am That was probably a mistake from the test writer considering the other questions look fine... but given the point value I think this was on purpose, which is interesting because I don't believe anyone could have guessed that.
Well, I did guess it on the previous page. Olympiad was the most obvious 8 letter word that was connected to the event, and that's how people who think they are cute tend to think. (Princeton is 9 letters, otherwise that might have been a candidate). Some people love to ask the "guess what I'm thinking" question - they ask a vague open-ended type question with many possible reasonable answers, but only consider the answer that they thought of as "correct" and every other true statement is "wrong". I have strong words for how I feel about those people, and I probably shouldn't use them on this forum.
They also did that on their Codebusters trial event test from two years ago. They gave an 8 letter Vigenere without a key, which we later figured out to be Princeto(n).
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
someone1580
State: CA

Post by someone1580 »

What would be your recommended order of which ciphers to work on first?
Name
State: NY

Post by Name »

someone1580 wrote: October 5th, 2019, 9:25 pm What would be your recommended order of which ciphers to work on first?
The timed cipher. After that whatever you feel like you can solve quickly while also being the most points. That really depends on the person. IMO Aristocrats are always reliable, and patristocrat/xenocrypts should be attempted if you can solve them semi reliably.
Not too familiar with morbit and pollux, but I'd say probably don't do them first, they look like they'd take forever because you have to double decode them (numbers to morse to English) and probably won't be worth that much. RSA (at least the questions that rely on rapid modular exponentiation or extended euclidean algorithm), while probably worth alot take too long and IMO shouldn't be attempted first because one mistake and you lose all points (with these crappy 4 function calcs you can't even check your answers)
But just in general, do whatever you're comfortable with I guess.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
will0416
State: OH

Post by will0416 »

someone1580 wrote: October 5th, 2019, 9:25 pm What would be your recommended order of which ciphers to work on first?
I’d go hard to easy. You can fly through aristocrats later in the test when you’re in a time crunch (and you won’t need to check your work) but you want to make sure you’ve got the math completely right early on in something like a 3x3 hill or rsa.
Mason ‘22
2021 Nats:
Chem - 1
Code - 5
SOM - 2
Boomi - 2

2019 Nats:
Code - 4
Mission - 4

Check out will0416's Userpage

Return to “2020 Study Events”