Designer Genes C

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Designer Genes C

Post by Adi1008 »

Designer Genes C: Participants will solve problems and analyze data or diagrams using their knowledge of the basic principles of genetics, molecular genetics and biotechnology.

Designer Genes Wiki

Designer Genes Test Exchange 2019

Past Threads: 2013, 2014, 2019

Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2019
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
gumboii
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by gumboii »

Can anyone recommend any reference books and practice books? Thanks
Mr.Epithelium
Division: C
State: KY

Post by Mr.Epithelium »

gumboii wrote: September 4th, 2019, 4:54 pm Can anyone recommend any reference books and practice books? Thanks

Khan Academy has great articles about genetics and biotech, but their practice questions are lacking in some areas.

Ask your Biology teacher to borrow a textbook! Those usually have greatly in-depth chapters and pictures on Designer Genes related material along with practice questions.

Scioly.com's test exchange has numerous practice tests covering a wide range of difficulties, and most being within the rules of this year.
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.
eagerlearner102

Post by eagerlearner102 »

This is my first year doing Designer Genes.
Is the genetics section of Campbell Biology (200 pages) sufficient enough as a reference, or would I need to read a genetics textbook?
I have a Humans Genetic textbook by Ricki Lewis that is quite long (430 pages).
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

eagerlearner102 wrote: September 14th, 2019, 4:45 pm This is my first year doing Designer Genes.
Is the genetics section of Campbell Biology (200 pages) sufficient enough as a reference, or would I need to read a genetics textbook?
I personally like Campbell for biology events, although for no study event should any sort of resource be a stand-alone reference for the entirety of your preparation. Campbell is generally more straightforward and less confusing than other introductory biology textbooks, but it's good to complement it with other textbooks (like your genetics book), online resources, and past designer genes tests. You wouldn't need a specialized genetics textbook, but if you have it already, then great!

It's worth noting that older editions of Campbell may not cover more recent findings in genetics.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
Mr.Epithelium
State: KY

Post by Mr.Epithelium »

gz839918 wrote: September 14th, 2019, 5:13 pm
eagerlearner102 wrote: September 14th, 2019, 4:45 pm This is my first year doing Designer Genes.
I personally like Campbell for biology events, although for no study event should any sort of resource be a stand-alone reference for the entirety of your preparation. Campbell is generally more straightforward and less confusing than other introductory biology textbooks, but it's good to complement it with other textbooks (like your genetics book), online resources, and past designer genes tests. You wouldn't need a specialized genetics textbook, but if you have it already, then great!

It's worth noting that older editions of Campbell may not cover more recent findings in genetics.

Definitely agree, Campbell is a wonderful resource that ties genetics topics together. Genetic books like yours go slightly more in-depth! However, some biotech topics like RFLP or Next-Gen sequencing is not covered in much detail in Campbell. For those, online resources like gz839918 mentioned are good companions.
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.
eagerlearner102

What are your guys' advice for a study event (study strategies, planning, team member collaboration, etc.)?
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

eagerlearner102 wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 9:38 pm What are your guys' advice for a study event (study strategies, planning, team member collaboration, etc.)?
Take practice tests. See what you and your partners strengths are - if you can separate the pages on the test, have both partners working on different parts. It's a lot like studying for a test you'll take in class, just with a partner.
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
eagerlearner102

When should I start taking practice tests? The invitational for me is in late February.
Also, did you have to read any gel electrophoresis results or other biotechnology data results? If so, did you need lab experience or was it more to answer a test question?
Vortexx2
State: IN

Post by Vortexx2 »

eagerlearner102 wrote: September 27th, 2019, 8:24 pm When should I start taking practice tests? The invitational for me is in late February.
Also, did you have to read any gel electrophoresis results or other biotechnology data results? If so, did you need lab experience or was it more to answer a test question?
I would say it is never too early to start taking practice tests. They are invaluable and help you determine what you need to study more. Also you do need to read gel electrophoresis results but lab experience is not needed. There are many different resources you can use that explain how to read the data results.
8th grade events: Mission Possible and Hovercraft.
High School: Codebusters, Designer genes, Gravity Vehicle, Mission Possible, Machines, Ping Pong Parachute, Boomilever, Protein Modeling.

It's been a heck of a ride, vortexx out.

Return to “2020 Study Events”