Molybon
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Molybon »

khtungpalan wrote: February 17th, 2020, 11:01 pm Can we annotate our notes?
Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to annotate anything in your binder. However, if you want to take a bird list out of your binder, it must be unannotated.
Dynamic Planet, Geologic Mapping, WIDI, Ornithology, Protein (Jmol)

Past Events: Experimental Design, Meteorology
GurtYo
Division: B
State: IL

Post by GurtYo »

Hi! Can anyone help me with the differences between the common raven and the American crow? I know that their tail shape is different, but what about pictures that aren't with flying?
“Life is short.
Smile while you still have teeth.”

― Mallory Hopkins
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

American crow has a smaller bill compared to the raven, which has a beak almost the size of its head. The raven is also more ruffled and larger than the American Crow
whalesc

Post by whalesc »

SilverBreeze wrote: February 17th, 2020, 2:46 pm
DragonTownEpic wrote: February 17th, 2020, 2:02 pm
Clammy wrote: February 14th, 2020, 10:57 pm

was it the Jeffrey Trail test by Samuel Bressler?
I took that one too! Wow!
Did anyone here take Orange County (CA) Regionals Division C?
Oh yeah I did, it was by him as well. xD
Chicken
State: CA

Post by Chicken »

After my regional, I realized I was underprepared (even though I got 3rd) and I tried to add stuff into my binder, but it got too thick. Its diameter is 1.75 inches, so I decided I can go bigger. I have a D-ring binder that would seem to be 2 inches. The height/diameter of the ring measured from the indent on the metal rail is 2 inches, the spine is 3 inches, the diameter across from the middle of the ring is just barely on(but on) the 2-inch mark(measured from 1 inch from bottom of spine), but if you measure at a weird angle on the diagonal it will be 3 inches. Is this allowed?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w5ZRWe ... sp=sharing
Ornithology, Water Quality, Former Crime Buster and Battery Bugger.

3rd place ornithology regionals, 6th place water quality regionals
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Chicken wrote: February 19th, 2020, 6:55 pm After my regional, I realized I was underprepared (even though I got 3rd) and I tried to add stuff into my binder, but it got too thick. Its diameter is 1.75 inches, so I decided I can go bigger. I have a D-ring binder that would seem to be 2 inches. The height/diameter of the ring measured from the indent on the metal rail is 2 inches, the spine is 3 inches, the diameter across from the middle of the ring is just barely on(but on) the 2-inch mark(measured from 1 inch from bottom of spine), but if you measure at a weird angle on the diagonal it will be 3 inches. Is this allowed?
This is why I hate the binder size limits.

I wouldn't use that one. I could see event supervisors measuring across the flat part of the D.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
cbrant554
Division: C
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

Unome wrote: February 20th, 2020, 8:34 am
Chicken wrote: February 19th, 2020, 6:55 pm After my regional, I realized I was underprepared (even though I got 3rd) and I tried to add stuff into my binder, but it got too thick. Its diameter is 1.75 inches, so I decided I can go bigger. I have a D-ring binder that would seem to be 2 inches. The height/diameter of the ring measured from the indent on the metal rail is 2 inches, the spine is 3 inches, the diameter across from the middle of the ring is just barely on(but on) the 2-inch mark(measured from 1 inch from bottom of spine), but if you measure at a weird angle on the diagonal it will be 3 inches. Is this allowed?

I wouldn't use that one. I could see event supervisors measuring across the flat part of the D.
Honestly, the binder size limits are pretty good, I once brought a 5 in binder with me to competition, and I knew how to navigate it fairly well, I do think that binder size limits are for the better.

Otherwise, I always use the length of the rings of the binder from the part connected to the binder to the top of the ring
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

cbrant554 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 10:56 am

Honestly, the binder size limits are pretty good, I once brought a 5 in binder with me to competition, and I knew how to navigate it fairly well, I do think that binder size limits are for the better.

Otherwise, I always use the length of the rings of the binder from the part connected to the binder to the top of the ring
Thanks!
Ornithology, Water Quality, Former Crime Buster and Battery Bugger.

3rd place ornithology regionals, 6th place water quality regionals
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

cbrant554 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 10:56 am

What I mean is that in my opinion binder size limits are very hard to define, forcing unnecessary needling over which way to measure a binder even after attempted clarifications, and don't really serve much of a purpose.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
DragonTownEpic
Division: C
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by DragonTownEpic »

khtungpalan wrote: February 17th, 2020, 11:01 pm Can we annotate our notes?
As in your fact sheets? Yes.
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x

Return to “2020 Study Events”