Anatomy and Physiology B/C

WangwithaTang

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by WangwithaTang »

On the Event Guidelines, it says that we need to know "ligament attachments that surround the joint". However, I am not familiar with any type of ligaments that might surround, say, a pivot joint or hinge joint. What ligaments are the Event Guidelines referring to.
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 18th, 2021, 5:14 pm
MorningCoffee wrote: February 9th, 2021, 6:09 am
donutsandcupcakes wrote: February 8th, 2021, 6:48 pm Hey guys!

I have participated in anatomy for 2 years now, this is my 3rd. But the last 2 yrs I was in division B. And so, I know that competition is going to be tough this year since it's the same topic as last year, but do you guys have any advice on how I can catch up to other Division C participants that did this event last year?
Like sneepity said, there's really no catching up, as long as you've studied pretty well. One trick I use to find tests on Google is by searching "site:edu [insert topic here] exam" In the brackets just type whichever system you want. It should pull up some sites with exams from colleges. Some of the stuff may not be on the rules, and some may not have answers, but regardless, it is an awesome way to study if you need more material!
Thank You guys for the feedback, everyone who responded really helped me out. I just realized that I never typed up a thank you response :shock: Sorry abt that.

I have another question :geek: haha I read a book and it said that scoliosis commonly occurs in the thoracic region and can also occur in the cervical region. I took a practice test today, and the answer key on that test said that the most common area for scoliosis is the lumbar region. So can somebody please tell me which one of the two it is? I looked it up and tried to research it but didn't find a clear and credential resource. SO please let me know if you guys know anything about this. Thank you!!!
The thoracic region appears to be the longest vertebral region, so if I were to guess, I would say thoracic region. I don't think its lumbar because it has the largest vertebrae which make it the sturdiest.
These users thanked the author WangwithaTang for the post (total 2):
sneepity (February 25th, 2021, 5:57 am) • MorningCoffee (February 25th, 2021, 6:58 am)
sneepity
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sneepity »

WangwithaTang wrote: February 24th, 2021, 9:28 pm On the Event Guidelines, it says that we need to know "ligament attachments that surround the joint". However, I am not familiar with any type of ligaments that might surround, say, a pivot joint or hinge joint. What ligaments are the Event Guidelines referring to.
I'm pretty sure that there may be attachments in the wrist which is a pivot joint by ligaments too. As for the hinge joints.. examples of a hinge joint are the knee and elbow. I'm sure there are many ligaments in there, like the medial collateral and anterior cruciate ligaments. When you think of ligaments, which are attachments from a bone to another, you would have to think they'd be at every joint- or else the whole joint would be really flimsy. They're a major part of why joints actually work. I would just say to look at a few diagrams, I don't think that there might be too in depth questions about ligaments. I just know where they are located and what they're made up of, but judging from this year you never know what trivia could be on tests. I hope I helped!! :D

Also for the scoliosis question, I agree with WangWithATang since it's longer, and if something is longer it's easier to bend it in the middle. But I do think that it's more common for scoliosis to happen to both the lumbar and thoracic vertebrae at the same time- when combined they form the longest part of the spine. I don't think there's a super correct answer, the most common type of scoliosis is idiopathic scoliosis and it kinda happens in the lumbar and thoracic vertebrae.

edits: grammar hehe
Last edited by sneepity on February 25th, 2021, 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author sneepity for the post (total 2):
Mr.Epithelium (February 27th, 2021, 5:32 am) • WangwithaTang (February 28th, 2021, 4:40 pm)
B)
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Hi all! We're running Anatomy and Physiology this weekend for March SMEC! If you're interested, register here!
https://forms.gle/kJKh9ZjiNCAunNv19
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
theskyistillred

Post by theskyistillred »

I'm entering Anatomy and Physiology this year, but as the systems rotate, I cannot find any 2021-2022 year tests. Where can I find one?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit." --Unknown

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

go study
Mr.Epithelium
State: KY

Post by Mr.Epithelium »

theskyistillred wrote: August 10th, 2021, 8:48 am I'm entering Anatomy and Physiology this year, but as the systems rotate, I cannot find any 2021-2022 year tests. Where can I find one?
The topics for the 2021-22 season will be Nervous, Endocrine, and Sense Organs (same as 2017). Although the rules may change slightly, you can find many previous 2017 tests on the test exchange (https://scioly.org/tests/) for practice. As the 2022 season starts, some tournaments will release tests publicly, and SSSS and CSE tests will also be released here on Scioly.org.
These users thanked the author Mr.Epithelium for the post:
theskyistillred (August 11th, 2021, 8:49 am)
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.
theskyistillred

Post by theskyistillred »

Mr.Epithelium wrote: August 10th, 2021, 2:07 pm The topics for the 2021-22 season will be Nervous, Endocrine, and Sense Organs (same as 2017). Although the rules may change slightly, you can find many previous 2017 tests on the test exchange (https://scioly.org/tests/) for practice. As the 2022 season starts, some tournaments will release tests publicly, and SSSS and CSE tests will also be released here on Scioly.org.
Thanks!
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit." --Unknown

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

go study

Return to “2021 Study Events”