Anatomy and Physiology B/C

theprimegrinder
Division: B

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by theprimegrinder »

Hey everyone, I need some help: on the tests I have taken, there are always a few histology questions of certain structures, and I always have trouble with them. Does anyone know how to study for these questions. Thanks!
sneepity
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sneepity »

theprimegrinder wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 9:11 pm Hey everyone, I need some help: on the tests I have taken, there are always a few histology questions of certain structures, and I always have trouble with them. Does anyone know how to study for these questions. Thanks!
Hey! I have trouble with this too, so here's what i do sometimes.
So i would first say you figure out what structures that you need to study the histology for. for example, let's say that you want to study the histology of the epidermis, I suggest you look up something similar to "epidermis under microscope". In images, there are a lot of pictures of the strata of the skin.
Then, you could download the picture and draw on it and label the layers or certain cells/structures. i'm sure there are a bunch of websites or apps out there that let you draw on a picture. after that, just put it on a google doc and label it by comparing it to descriptions of cells or a diagram. i think then you can create a mini study sheet for yourself in which you practice to label the structures.
how i use this study sheet: i basically read up descriptions of certain cells in the structure, and try to spot them in the microscope image and eventually master labeling it myself without comparing it to a diagram. you should be able to do this, but please don't try to memorize the parts in the image you use to study- because all images won't look similar and may make you mess up on a test.
lastly, just search up images of whatever structure you were studying and try to label the decent pics. It should get easier with practice.
Another way you can study is make a quizlet and draw up labels on the picture, and make a few questions asking what something is. quizlet is great too, because it makes sure you get the question right 3 times in a row, basically drilling it into your head. but make sure to include questions asking for descriptions of structures as well, because it's important to know that too.
Good luck with this! What I wrote is a jumbled mess, but it should help you out. :o)
These users thanked the author sneepity for the post:
theprimegrinder (January 4th, 2021, 5:00 pm)
B)
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

donutsandcupcakes wrote: December 13th, 2020, 3:55 pm Hi everyone!!

I'm new to Div C (freshman). I have done anatomy for the past two years but in div B. So I just wanted to ask if anyone can tell me how different the two divisions are from each other. I looked at the rules and the rules seemed different, but is that it? Are there common types of questions that come in Div C but not in Div B?? Any type of help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Like Mr.Epithelium and MorningCoffee said, they're mostly similar this year but division B tests are easier than division C tests.
it dives into more complex processes and structures about things that were not covered as deeply in division b.
about common types of questions, i would say much more advanced physiology (which just means topics that you weren't tested on in div b)
just take a ton of div c tests, and you'll get the hang of it. eventually you''ll recognize types of questions!
and try to take note of the questions being asked that you didn't know the answer to- keep in mind that there's a big chance they'll show up again!
i hope you study well :o)
(sorry for the double post! :( )
theprimegrinder (January 4th, 2021, 5:00 pm)
B)
theprimegrinder

Post by theprimegrinder »

sneepity wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 10:25 pm
theprimegrinder wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 9:11 pm Hey everyone, I need some help: on the tests I have taken, there are always a few histology questions of certain structures, and I always have trouble with them. Does anyone know how to study for these questions. Thanks!
So i would first say you figure out what structures that you need to study the histology for. for example, let's say that you want to study the histology of the epidermis, I suggest you look up something similar to "epidermis under microscope". In images, there are a lot of pictures of the strata of the skin.
Then, you could download the picture and draw on it and label the layers or certain cells/structures. i'm sure there are a bunch of websites or apps out there that let you draw on a picture. after that, just put it on a google doc and label it by comparing it to descriptions of cells or a diagram. i think then you can create a mini study sheet for yourself in which you practice to label the structures.
how i use this study sheet: i basically read up descriptions of certain cells in the structure, and try to spot them in the microscope image and eventually master labeling it myself without comparing it to a diagram. you should be able to do this, but please don't try to memorize the parts in the image you use to study- because all images won't look similar and may make you mess up on a test.
lastly, just search up images of whatever structure you were studying and try to label the decent pics. It should get easier with practice.
Another way you can study is make a quizlet and draw up labels on the picture, and make a few questions asking what something is. quizlet is great too, because it makes sure you get the question right 3 times in a row, basically drilling it into your head. but make sure to include questions asking for descriptions of structures as well, because it's important to know that too.
Good luck with this! What I wrote is a jumbled mess, but it should help you out. :o)
Thanks a lot!
These users thanked the author theprimegrinder for the post:
sneepity (January 4th, 2021, 9:56 am)
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

theprimegrinder wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:37 am
sneepity wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 10:25 pm
Thanks a lot!
np! let me know if it worked for you :)
B)
diyam
State: WA

Post by diyam »

Hello, I am looking for some help regarding questions I got wrong in an invitational I attended recently.
These are questions that I believe I got right, and are marked as wrong.

1. Cells in the epidermis contain keratin
I answered true, and it was returned as wrong as they said the answer was false. A main cell in the epidermis is keratin.

2. Cells in the epidermis participate in immune responses
I answered true, and it was returned as wrong, as they said that the answer was false. I know that Langerhans cells reside in the epidermis, and I am pretty sure that they respond to immune signals, as well as infection. This is something that I am questioning, so I needed help on this.

3. Which of the following occurs in the spongy bone of the epiphysis?
a. shock absorption
b. bone remodeling
c. hematopoiesis
d. none of the above.
I answered a, and they returned it as wrong because they said it was c. I totally agree that c is a valid answer, however, according to my research and the studying that I have been doing, shock absorption is also a valid answer. This was a question that I may be wrong at, but I wanted to get some more opinions (and help) so I can further my research.

I am hoping to gather a bit of help to fix these problems, and help me realize my mistakes if I made them, as I am fairly sure I got these questions right.
Thank you in advance for your help and inputs!
MorningCoffee
State: PA

Post by MorningCoffee »

diyam wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:18 pm Hello, I am looking for some help regarding questions I got wrong in an invitational I attended recently.

I answered true, and it was returned as wrong as they said the answer was false. A main cell in the epidermis is keratin.

I answered true, and it was returned as wrong, as they said that the answer was false. I know that Langerhans cells reside in the epidermis, and I am pretty sure that they respond to immune signals, as well as infection. This is something that I am questioning, so I needed help on this.

a. shock absorption
b. bone remodeling
c. hematopoiesis
d. none of the above.
I answered a, and they returned it as wrong because they said it was c. I totally agree that c is a valid answer, however, according to my research and the studying that I have been doing, shock absorption is also a valid answer. This was a question that I may be wrong at, but I wanted to get some more opinions (and help) so I can further my research.

I am hoping to gather a bit of help to fix these problems, and help me realize my mistakes if I made them, as I am fairly sure I got these questions right.
I believe 1 and 2 are definitely right! 3, however, I believe that c what the correct answer mostly because there is some red bone marrow in the spongy bone, and that is where most bone marrow is found. Shock absorption tends to occur more in articular cartilage ON the epiphysis, so I believe that is where confusion may have arised.

We can't expect test graders to be perfect, but it was good you asked to confirm what you got right and wrong. Hope I helped!
These users thanked the author MorningCoffee for the post:
diyam (January 5th, 2021, 11:05 am)
Events 2023-2024:
uhh we'll find out let me apply to college first

orch dork forever
hot chocolate is best drink c:
sneepity

Post by sneepity »

would 3 be bone remodeling as well? because of the epiphyseal plate growing? I'm not sure tho lol (remodeling as in the gross level not the microscopic level)
yeah the answer is def c for three, and a is also valid because all bone does take a bit of shock whenever you stress it, there's pictures that show the compression and tension lines in bone and based on that, it's safe to say that bone does absorb shock.
Like MorningCoffee said, on numbers one and two you're right.
I would assume that those are just bad questions that pop up sometimes! It is good to know what the right answers are tho
diyam (January 5th, 2021, 11:05 am)
B)
diyam
State: WA

Post by diyam »

MorningCoffee wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:03 am
diyam wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:18 pm Hello, I am looking for some help regarding questions I got wrong in an invitational I attended recently.

a. shock absorption
b. bone remodeling
c. hematopoiesis
d. none of the above.

I believe 1 and 2 are definitely right! 3, however, I believe that c what the correct answer mostly because there is some red bone marrow in the spongy bone, and that is where most bone marrow is found. Shock absorption tends to occur more in articular cartilage ON the epiphysis, so I believe that is where confusion may have arised.

We can't expect test graders to be perfect, but it was good you asked to confirm what you got right and wrong. Hope I helped!
Hi, Thank you so much! You really did help me a lot, and I now can research a bit more on the third question. Again, thank you so much!
MorningCoffee
State: PA

Post by MorningCoffee »

No problem! I'm glad I could help!
Events 2023-2024:
uhh we'll find out let me apply to college first

orch dork forever
hot chocolate is best drink c:

Return to “2021 Study Events”