Designer Genes C

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Designer Genes C

Post by pikachu4919 »

Designer Genes C: Participants will solve problems and analyze data or diagrams using their knowledge of the basic principles of genetics, molecular genetics and biotechnology.

Designer Genes Wiki

Designer Genes Test Exchange 2020

Past Threads: 2013, 2014, 2019, 2020

Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2019, 2020
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
AstroClarinet
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by AstroClarinet »

"Making mutants in the lab"... hmm
"Nucleic acid vaccines"... might have something to do with a certain virus?
AstroClarinet's Userpage
Nats: Remote sensing 3rd 2x, Astronomy 6th, Cell Bio 3rd
 Astro, Genes, Water, DigiStructures, Solar System, Boomi, Density, Eco, Optics, Towers, Microbe, Mission Possible
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

The new rules changes are small, but intriguing. I'm a fan of the new National topics, even though I'll probably never take a test with them :cry: Ultimately I knew not a lot would be changed but there are some neat topics that got added.
These users thanked the author jaspattack for the post:
Mr.Epithelium (September 8th, 2020, 8:17 am)
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

So overall, the changes are
  • Next generation sequencing is now a reg/state topic
  • Random vs targeted mutagenesis is now a reg/state topic
  • DNA repair is now a reg/state topic
  • Nucleic acid vaccines (should probably be pretty straightforward?) was added to the national topics
  • Making mutants in the lab (I have no idea what that means lol) was added to the national topics
  • Genomics and metagenomics in medicine and health (from what I can understand, this, or at least topics similar to this, were already tested occasionally?) was added to the national topics
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
s139670
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by s139670 »

Hey, this is my first year in the science olympiad and I picked this event. I learned that the 12 edition Campbell textbook is useful for this event, along with the sample tests from previous years (found on the forums) and the CD. Is there anything me and my teammate should use to study for this event? And is there anything you would recommend for me and my teammate to do to get better at this? I founded the club/team at our school so the organization itself is new. I would love to receive experienced feedback from experienced competitors. Thank You!
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

s139670 wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 10:40 pm Hey, this is my first year in the science olympiad and I picked this event. I learned that the 12 edition Campbell textbook is useful for this event, along with the sample tests from previous years (found on the forums) and the CD. Is there anything me and my teammate should use to study for this event? And is there anything you would recommend for me and my teammate to do to get better at this? I founded the club/team at our school so the organization itself is new. I would love to receive experienced feedback from experienced competitors. Thank You!
I think that Campbell is a very good resource, especially when starting out. Doing the practice questions and whatnot throughout is a good primer for taking actual tests later on. The best thing is just to practice - take lots of tests, and look at how you did. Make notes about what questions you got wrong and why you got them wrong - do you need to add to your notes? Practice tests can be very good indicators of information that might be missing from your notes. Other than that though, it's simply a lot of studying. Designer Genes is a study event, after all.

Really, just don't be afraid to ask questions! The community here is fantastic, and I'm sure you can find answers to your questions either on the wiki, on archived forum threads, or on Discord. Good luck with your first season!
These users thanked the author jaspattack for the post:
corila (December 6th, 2020, 7:40 pm)
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

Has this event changed drastically since it was released? As in, would past tests from three years ago be passable to take for practice today?
These users thanked the author WangwithaTang for the post:
Mr.Epithelium (December 13th, 2020, 3:42 pm)
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

What do you guys recommend as study material for this event?
Mr.Epithelium
State: KY

Post by Mr.Epithelium »

WangwithaTang wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 11:26 pm Has this event changed drastically since it was released? As in, would past tests from three years ago be passable to take for practice today?
This event hasn't changed drastically, but some topics changed for the 2021 season (they are bolded in the rules). Past tests from 2013-2014 that are available are generally easier than tests from 2019-2021. Although they are helpful, more recent tests will help prepare you for competitions better (also, much more tournaments release tests publically now- see the test exchange on scioly!)
WangwithaTang wrote: December 4th, 2020, 12:12 am What do you guys recommend as study material for this event?
Handouts and problems from the Soinc website along with Campbell's biology are a good introduction to this event. For a more in-depth look, I recommend getting a genetics textbook, Khan academy, and Wikipedia. Some of the harder tests will give lots of useful information to study!
These users thanked the author Mr.Epithelium for the post:
WangwithaTang (December 17th, 2020, 9:41 pm)
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

Julia has a sibling with Tay Sachs (a recessive trait). Neither Julia, nor her parents has the
disease, and none of them has been carrier tested. However, Julia’s husband, Steve, fathered a
child with Tay Sachs in a previous marriage. Based on this incomplete information, calculate the
probability that if Julia and Steve have a child, the child will have Tay Sachs.
A. 1/4
B. 1/6
C. 1/9
D. 1/18
E. 1/24

I was taking a past heredity test for practice (University of Florida 2019 B), and I can't figure out why the answer is 1/6. Aren't both Julia and Steve guaranteed heterozygotes, making it 1/4?

Return to “2021 Study Events”