Disease Detectives B/C

Iamgoing2Mars2
Division: B
State: CO
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Iamgoing2Mars2 »

Does anybody know what the yearly topic is this year? I'm starting late and want to focus my efforts.
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

Iamgoing2Mars2 wrote: February 8th, 2021, 2:35 pm Does anybody know what the yearly topic is this year? I'm starting late and want to focus my efforts.
As of last year, disease does not have a yearly topic, so you'll want to focus most of your studying on statistics and basics of epidemiology. Occasionally, you may find some questions about specific diseases because test writers do not read the rules or read rules from previous years (most likely you'll be tested on some foodborne illnesses because that was the last topic before they stopped the rotation). You might want to have some basic information such as mode of transmission, incubation period, and symptoms for the diseases that come up most often on tests.

Good luck!
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
parkashlakshmi
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Post by parkashlakshmi »

Hi, I am new to SciOly, and I just wanted to ask what are some good resources for DD, or what I should focus on when studying?
cards104171
State: OH

Post by cards104171 »

parkashlakshmi wrote: February 10th, 2021, 7:29 am Hi, I am new to SciOly, and I just wanted to ask what are some good resources for DD, or what I should focus on when studying?
Hi! It's my first year of DD, but this resource can prove helpful:
soinc.org,
The official Science Olympiad website (nationally). Go to B/C division events, then click on DD. There are some resources listed there. Also, checking out the Disease Detectives wiki page is also helpful for beginners.
Hope that helped :D
Current Events -
Codebusters
Fast Facts
Bio Process Lab
Anatomy

Game On
Heredity
Circuit Lab
Density Lab
Game On
Heredity
Circuit Lab
Disease Detectives 
Codebusters
Disease Detectives
Bio Process Lab
Anatomy
vye904
State: NY

Post by vye904 »

cards104171 wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 3:42 pm
parkashlakshmi wrote: February 10th, 2021, 7:29 am Hi, I am new to SciOly, and I just wanted to ask what are some good resources for DD, or what I should focus on when studying?
Hi! It's my first year of DD, but this resource can prove helpful:
soinc.org,
The official Science Olympiad website (nationally). Go to B/C division events, then click on DD. There are some resources listed there. Also, checking out the Disease Detectives wiki page is also helpful for beginners.
Hope that helped :D
^^ The training handouts/packets on soinc are great for learning basics. This CDC textbook: https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dsepd/ss1978/index.html is also a good resource. It has practice questions and answers at the end of each lesson. "Lesson One: Introduction to Epidemiology" was great for starting out. The disease scioly wiki has most of the basic formulas and a good amount of information you'd need on a notesheet. Good luck!
stlcards422
State: MD

Post by stlcards422 »

How do you make a case defenition?
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by EwwPhysics »

stlcards422 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 8:41 pm How do you make a case defenition?
Disclaimer: I'm not that good at disease so there are probably errors in my example/explanation but oh well

Here's the section from the CDC textbook on case definitions :)

Basically, you have to take the information given to you (often in a line listing) and determine what should be considered to be a confirmed, probable, or suspected case (although sometimes tests are just looking for the confirmed case definition, not probable/suspected).
Case definitions usually take into account clinical diagnosis, symptoms, time, and place. Here's a quick example:

EwwPhysics went to a dinner party on February 28th, 2021. 3 days later, she developed symptoms such as fever, nausea, vomiting, etc. You receive reports of other people who attended the dinner party developing symptoms anywhere between 3 and 7 days after the party. Later, you identify the cause of the disease to be a new bacteria called Sciolia, and develop a test which can identify it.

A confirmed case would be someone with lab confirmation for Sciolia.
A probable case would be someone (without lab confirmation) who attended the dinner party, has symptoms, and developed them around 3-7 days after 28 Feb 21.
A suspected case would have symptoms.

tldr; making case definitions is like most other things in disease detectives, just try to bs something that sounds reasonable and you'll probably get partial credit

Hope this helps!
These users thanked the author EwwPhysics for the post:
stlcards422 (March 5th, 2021, 11:58 am)
Lower Merion Captain '24
Flavorflav
Division: Grad

Post by Flavorflav »

EwwPhysics wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:51 pm
stlcards422 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 8:41 pm How do you make a case defenition?
Disclaimer: I'm not that good at disease so there are probably errors in my example/explanation but oh well

Here's the section from the CDC textbook on case definitions :)

Basically, you have to take the information given to you (often in a line listing) and determine what should be considered to be a confirmed, probable, or suspected case (although sometimes tests are just looking for the confirmed case definition, not probable/suspected).
Case definitions usually take into account clinical diagnosis, symptoms, time, and place. Here's a quick example:

EwwPhysics went to a dinner party on February 28th, 2021. 3 days later, she developed symptoms such as fever, nausea, vomiting, etc. You receive reports of other people who attended the dinner party developing symptoms anywhere between 3 and 7 days after the party. Later, you identify the cause of the disease to be a new bacteria called Sciolia, and develop a test which can identify it.

A confirmed case would be someone with lab confirmation for Sciolia.
A probable case would be someone (without lab confirmation) who attended the dinner party, has symptoms, and developed them around 3-7 days after 28 Feb 21.
A suspected case would have symptoms.

tldr; making case definitions is like most other things in disease detectives, just try to bs something that sounds reasonable and you'll probably get partial credit

Hope this helps!
These users thanked the author Flavorflav for the post:
Iamgoing2Mars2 (May 18th, 2021, 3:01 pm)
Flavorflav
Division: Grad

Post by Flavorflav »

A classic case definition should have at least three elements: person, place and time. Only the second of your definitions would earn full points on one of my tests.
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by EwwPhysics »

Flavorflav wrote: March 28th, 2021, 4:08 am A classic case definition should have at least three elements: person, place and time. Only the second of your definitions would earn full points on one of my tests.
Ok, thanks for the feedback! How would you suggest incorporating person/place/time into a suspected case definition, where some of these elements may not be defined? Would something like "may or may not have attended the dinner party" work? Also, for the confirmed case definition would you accept something like "a probable case with lab confirmation" or do you suggest re-writing the conditions for a probable case?
Thank you!
Lower Merion Captain '24

Return to “2021 Study Events”