Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Hi all!

We're running Disease Detectives for this month's SMEC! To learn more, head over to our forums thread and register at the google form here!
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Rath
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by Rath »

New to scioly and thinking about doing this event,
id like to know more about it and some tips, im probably going to look over a practoce test after this
These users thanked the author Rath for the post:
drcubbin (August 5th, 2021, 5:51 am)
MahathiR
Division: B

Post by MahathiR »

Hi!

A few tips that I have is to go over your cheat-sheet ver, very well. half of the time the answer to the question is on there, but it is missed. I also suggest to keep updating it, you never really know when something random would come in handy, especially in tiebreaker questions. Other than that, I suggest practice test, more practice tests, and EVEN MORE PRACTICE TESTS! Sometimes the test writers just copy-paste content from various exams onto their test, so knowing the questions/answers already is like an extra boost. Don't get to bogged down by the amt of material there is though, its like a mountain out of a molehill. It takes a while, but after a set study pattern is followed, everything gets easier.

Good luck!
These users thanked the author MahathiR for the post:
drcubbin (August 5th, 2021, 5:50 am)
Thenerdicat
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by Thenerdicat »

Rath wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 11:53 am New to scioly and thinking about doing this event,
id like to know more about it and some tips, im probably going to look over a practoce test after this
As MahathiR said, practice tests and going over your cheat sheet is very important. First, read over texts and take notes about the most important, then you can compress the information into 2 pages on a document (remember to keep the most useful information in the document; that's the cheatsheet). What you put on the cheat sheet is what you decide, but I recommend putting things like formulas for calculations, case definitions, etc.
I have books to recommend:
-Principles of Epidemiology, the third edition (it's a CDC handout and the pdf link is https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dsepd/ss1978/SS1978.pdf).
-Understanding the fundamentals of epidemiology — an evolving text (http://www.epidemiolog.net/evolving/TableOfContents.htm this is the link; it can be found online)
-Basic Concepts of Modern Epidemiology-Epidemiology and Research
-Applied Multiple Regression/Correlation Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences (3rd edition)

Hope this helps!
These users thanked the author Thenerdicat for the post:
drcubbin (August 5th, 2021, 5:50 am)
Biology events :DDDD
Rath
State: NY

Post by Rath »

It does, and thank you so much
These users thanked the author Rath for the post (total 2):
drcubbin (August 5th, 2021, 5:50 am) • Thenerdicat (August 7th, 2021, 9:06 am)

Return to “2021 Study Events”