Water Quality B/C

jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by jimmy-bond »

dvegadvol wrote: April 10th, 2021, 12:09 pm An actual question from a State Water Quality test:

"The word tundra is derived from what Finnish verb?

On a water quality test. Were they trying to determine if anyone was using the internet?

Nothing else makes any sense for that question to be there...
Someone must've gotten their Water Quality folder mixed up with an Ecology test from 4 years ago. Absurd.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
aakoala
Division: C
State: MI

Post by aakoala »

jimmy-bond wrote: April 10th, 2021, 3:34 pm
dvegadvol wrote: April 10th, 2021, 12:09 pm An actual question from a State Water Quality test:

On a water quality test. Were they trying to determine if anyone was using the internet?

Someone must've gotten their Water Quality folder mixed up with an Ecology test from 4 years ago. Absurd.
I would assume that question would almost definitely be for checking for googling. Unless they mixed it up as you said, I wouldn't have any clue why that would be there. (After all, this year is about coral reefs which is on a way different latitude)
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
AstroClarinet

Post by AstroClarinet »

aakoala wrote: April 10th, 2021, 4:31 pm
jimmy-bond wrote: April 10th, 2021, 3:34 pm

I would assume that question would almost definitely be for checking for googling. Unless they mixed it up as you said, I wouldn't have any clue why that would be there. (After all, this year is about coral reefs which is on a way different latitude)
Some completely useless trivia, since this piqued my interest and made me google it: the word tundra is not derived from a verb, but rather a noun, and despite some sources saying it is Finnish, a fair number of other sources online say it's from Russian, passed down from Kildin Sami (which might be related to Finnish, but those sources don't explicitly mention that).
But yeah, shouldn't have been on a WQ test, and I'd assume it was a mix-up. Hope it doesn't affect your scores much; I doubt anyone would know that off the top of their head, and anyone who tried to google it would become very confused anyway...
These users thanked the author AstroClarinet for the post:
aakoala (April 11th, 2021, 2:27 pm)
AstroClarinet's Userpage
Nats: Remote sensing 3rd 2x, Astronomy 6th, Cell Bio 3rd
 Astro, Genes, Water, DigiStructures, Solar System, Boomi, Density, Eco, Optics, Towers, Microbe, Mission Possible
dvegadvol
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dvegadvol »

Anyone know what will replace this year's Water Quality: Marine and Estuary Ecology, Coral Reef Macroflora and Fauna & Water Monitoring and Analysis?

I heard a rumour that Green Generation was scheduled...
AstroClarinet

Post by AstroClarinet »

dvegadvol wrote: May 13th, 2021, 3:46 pm Anyone know what will replace this year's Water Quality: Marine and Estuary Ecology, Coral Reef Macroflora and Fauna & Water Monitoring and Analysis?

I heard a rumour that Green Generation was scheduled...
Yup, it looks like Green Generation (see here)
AstroClarinet's Userpage
Nats: Remote sensing 3rd 2x, Astronomy 6th, Cell Bio 3rd
 Astro, Genes, Water, DigiStructures, Solar System, Boomi, Density, Eco, Optics, Towers, Microbe, Mission Possible
SarahYe
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by SarahYe »

Hey, any tips on how to get better at this event. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at this event and I really want to get better just in case I have to do it again. So does anyone have any suggestions?
alittlestitious
State: CA

Post by alittlestitious »

SarahYe wrote: June 11th, 2021, 9:26 am Hey, any tips on how to get better at this event. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at this event and I really want to get better just in case I have to do it again. So does anyone have any suggestions?
I would say to practice as much as you can. Take every practice test you can get your hands on, and make sure you really understand every question you get wrong. When I was just starting out with water quality, I just skipped over the questions I missed, because I thought I had the right answer and that's all that mattered. But for every question you get wrong, google possible answers and go in depth as much as possible.
There's also great handouts for WQ on soinc.org, so use those to your advantage! Look through the handouts, and then google those topics even more.
As for the organisms, its all just practice again. If you can make flashcards (physical or digital), that helped me a lot. Have your partner quiz you or vice versa.
You got this!
kman1234t
State: CA

Post by kman1234t »

SarahYe wrote: June 11th, 2021, 9:26 am Hey, any tips on how to get better at this event. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at this event and I really want to get better just in case I have to do it again. So does anyone have any suggestions?
Because the current event rotation predicts water quality to come back in the 2025-26 season, you might want to hold off on studying for it. Green generation is rotating in for the 2021-2022 season.

The handouts at https://www.soinc.org/water-quality-c are really helpful as a starting point, but others can give better info.
SarahYe

Post by SarahYe »

alittlestitious wrote: June 11th, 2021, 10:06 am
I would say to practice as much as you can. Take every practice test you can get your hands on, and make sure you really understand every question you get wrong. When I was just starting out with water quality, I just skipped over the questions I missed, because I thought I had the right answer and that's all that mattered. But for every question you get wrong, google possible answers and go in depth as much as possible.
There's also great handouts for WQ on soinc.org, so use those to your advantage! Look through the handouts, and then google those topics even more.
As for the organisms, its all just practice again. If you can make flashcards (physical or digital), that helped me a lot. Have your partner quiz you or vice versa.
You got this!
Thanks!
SarahYe

Post by SarahYe »

kman1234t wrote: June 11th, 2021, 10:23 am
Because the current event rotation predicts water quality to come back in the 2025-26 season, you might want to hold off on studying for it. Green generation is rotating in for the 2021-2022 season.

The handouts at https://www.soinc.org/water-quality-c are really helpful as a starting point, but others can give better info.
TYSM!

Return to “2021 Study Events”