Codebusters C

DragonsVmom
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Re: Codebusters C

Post by DragonsVmom »

Our teams first year doing Codebusters. Trying to practice on the toebus site, but none of the Baconian decryptions are giving a score above 0 even though the answer is correct. They are entering all the A's and B's correctly, entering the deciphered letter under the group of 5 in the middle, then writing the entire quote in the box under the puzzle. What are they not doing correct? I can't figure it out.
genahoward
Been thanked: 0

Post by genahoward »

Does anyone have tips on how to start a Patristocrat? My team is doing well on the Aristocrats but we are having trouble making the jump to Patristocrats. Thanks!
agneg05
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by agneg05 »

I would start with the hinted ones like given letters, K1, and K2 since those are easier to get first before jumping straight to unhinted. Other than that, it's mostly just frequency bashing and hoping that you can guess a word/using the hints given to your advantage.
RBHS SciOly 2019-now, BHMS SciOly 2016-2019
2021 events: Code <3, Geo Mapping, DP

Imagine being good at SciOly...
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Hi all!

We're running Codebusters for this month's SMEC! To learn more, head over to our forums thread and register at the google form here!
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Fyren
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Fyren »

I'm thinking about doing Codebusters next year so where should I get started for preparing for it? Should I just learn the ciphers in the rules and how to recognize them and then just do a bunch of practice problems?
RasmitDevkota
State: GA

Post by RasmitDevkota »

Fyren wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 9:54 am I'm thinking about doing Codebusters next year so where should I get started for preparing for it? Should I just learn the ciphers in the rules and how to recognize them and then just do a bunch of practice problems?
Yep this is pretty much all there is to it, learn the concepts and then keep practicing until you get your solve times low enough that you can solve every question on the test. The Scioly Wiki is probably the best place to do it for most of the ciphers, you should definitely work out the sample problems it has or find a practice test and try it yourself while learning.

Also, you don't really need to learn how to recognize them since the tests will most likely specify, though I've seen a couple that don't (this is probably more common at tougher competitions). Anyways, recognizing the questions is usually easy since most ciphers have special defining features, like the Hill cipher (which will have a matrix) or the Morse ciphers (which will have lists of numbers instead of letters), so it isn't something you need to worry about.
Last edited by RasmitDevkota on July 23rd, 2021, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Umaroth »

RasmitDevkota wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 10:08 am
Fyren wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 9:54 am I'm thinking about doing Codebusters next year so where should I get started for preparing for it? Should I just learn the ciphers in the rules and how to recognize them and then just do a bunch of practice problems?
Yep this is pretty much all there is to it, learn the concepts and then keep practicing until you get your solve times low enough that you can solve every question on the test. The Scioly Wiki is probably the best place to do it for most of the ciphers, you should definitely work out the sample problems it has or find a practice test and try it yourself while learning.

Also, you don't really need to learn how to recognize them since the tests will most likely specify, though I've seen a couple that don't (this is probably more common at tougher competitions). Anyways, recognizing the questions is usually easy since most ciphers have special defining features, like the Hill cipher (which will have a matrix) or the Morse ciphers (which will have lists of numbers instead of letters), so it isn't something you need to worry about.
Tests are required to identify cipher type, it's not common unless the writer sucks
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
Klebb
Division: Grad

Post by Klebb »

Hello Science Olympiad community!

Presenting…

How to Write a Codebusters Test (v.1)
Written mostly by me, Klebb!

I’ve been working on this since around April 2021, and it is finally here! This is a resource for current and aspiring event supervisors, test authors, and, by extension, tournament directors of Codebusters B/C to get a good idea on what makes a good test for the event.

In v.1, I go over each of the ciphers in the 2020-2021 rules, detailing how to write good questions and balance out the test. I plan to expand this in v.2 to new ciphers and other possible rule changes once the 2022 rules are released.

With that said, here is the document! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pa-Cwp ... p=sharing

Happy codebusting!
-Klebb

Acknowledgements:
This project would not have been possible without the following people. The following acknowledgements are taken from the paper itself, with names replaced with scioly.org usernames, as appropriate.

The following people contributed sections to this guide: Umaroth, Chris Ge. Thank you both for helping me write up ciphers I’m not as familiar with, and for being involved in the editing process.

The following people helped with editing the guide and adding examples; they caught typos, clarified wording, and added ideas to make the guide more complete: builderguy135, Name, kh.aotic, sciolyperson1, and will0416. Thank you all for your contributions.

Thank you to the competitions that released their tests that I used as examples in this guide. Without them writing this would have been much harder.

Thank you to califORNIa, The Cult of Intelligent Avians, the BirdSO Event Supervisors, and Droptogrambustics for your support over the past year and helping facilitate my growth both here and elsewhere. This guide wouldn’t exist without all of you.

And one final special thank you to Dylan Yu in the competitive math community, who designed the LaTeX package that formats the entire guide!
These users thanked the author Klebb for the post (total 10):
builderguy135 (August 16th, 2021, 8:15 pm) • jaspattack (August 16th, 2021, 8:18 pm) • Umaroth (August 16th, 2021, 8:19 pm) • sciolyperson1 (August 16th, 2021, 8:21 pm) • hmmm (August 16th, 2021, 8:53 pm) • Birdmusic (August 16th, 2021, 9:00 pm) • Longivitis (August 17th, 2021, 11:21 am) • RobertYL (August 18th, 2021, 12:27 pm) • Adi1008 (August 19th, 2021, 6:51 pm) • Name (September 4th, 2021, 7:24 pm)
UIUC '25 | MSJHS '21 | Hopkins JHS '17 | BirdSO Board
Codebusters / Experimental Design (& Data) / Sounds of Music / WICI / Fermi Questions

Return to “2021 Study Events”