Geologic Mapping C

l0lit
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by l0lit »

nisha01 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:25 pm Hello! Sorry for the late response but I do have a question, for apparent dips or strenonets, the problems can onlt be done using protractors, or paper with the diagrams for streronets, since we are having an online test, how would application problems for this work? I am not sure if teams will be able to print everything out during the test so I am curious on this, please let me know!
A lot of questions I've seen involve reading stereonets to find the strike/dip of a plane or the trend/plunge of a line. To know how to do this, it's easiest to learn how planes and lines are plotted and work backwards, there's a lot of youtube videos on the subject. You can also try playing around with the stereonet tool on the Visible Geology tool.
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written
freed2003
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by freed2003 »

nisha01 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:25 pm Hello! Sorry for the late response but I do have a question, for apparent dips or strenonets, the problems can onlt be done using protractors, or paper with the diagrams for streronets, since we are having an online test, how would application problems for this work? I am not sure if teams will be able to print everything out during the test so I am curious on this, please let me know!
Honestly, you can probably estimate it in your head since the tests usually accept decent range of answers. People are also holding their tracing paper up to the screen. What I did at bearso(the last geo mapping test I took) was just rotate the great circles in my head to calculate the dip, but obviously, this isn't the most accurate.
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1

Return to “2021 Study Events”