State: IN

Re: Roller Coaster B

Post by cbrant554 »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
cbrant554 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
The jumps would be way less consistent.
You could just use a funnel
The ball has a lot more positions it could be in the moment the ball leaves the jump. If it was a track, however, the ball could only be in one position: where the ball only contacts the two points of the track.
That would be the risk of using the tube unless you could perfect the positioning of the ball but if you could make the bigger jumps some teams will take that
fxsandiego
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by fxsandiego »

My students are just back from a invitationals. They are demoted to Tier 3 because of "non-impound device." They did impound their devices. However they are told "1) they didn't have and data/notes to impound; 2) they didn't fill out some paperwork." From what I read in the rule, data/note are not required to impound if a team is not planning to use them during competition. Also I am not aware of any paperwork that is required during impound. Am I missing anything or the event host is just being unrealistic.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

fxsandiego wrote:My students are just back from a invitationals. They are demoted to Tier 3 because of "non-impound device." They did impound their devices. However they are told "1) they didn't have and data/notes to impound; 2) they didn't fill out some paperwork." From what I read in the rule, data/note are not required to impound if a team is not planning to use them during competition. Also I am not aware of any paperwork that is required during impound. Am I missing anything or the event host is just being unrealistic.
Regarding #1, Roller Coaster doesn't have a log so you are correct on that count, since obviously a team without tools or spare parts wouldn't be tiered for not impounding them - and even then, penalties for a log generally do not involve tiering. Regarding #2, if your competitors just dropped off a device without talking to the event supervisor it's possible that they missed it, but I can't think of a situation off the top of my head that would require paperwork during impound. I'm less confident about this one though.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

Unome wrote:
fxsandiego wrote:My students are just back from a invitationals. They are demoted to Tier 3 because of "non-impound device." They did impound their devices. However they are told "1) they didn't have and data/notes to impound; 2) they didn't fill out some paperwork." From what I read in the rule, data/note are not required to impound if a team is not planning to use them during competition. Also I am not aware of any paperwork that is required during impound. Am I missing anything or the event host is just being unrealistic.
Regarding #1, Roller Coaster doesn't have a log so you are correct on that count, since obviously a team without tools or spare parts wouldn't be tiered for not impounding them - and even then, penalties for a log generally do not involve tiering. Regarding #2, if your competitors just dropped off a device without talking to the event supervisor it's possible that they missed it, but I can't think of a situation off the top of my head that would require paperwork during impound. I'm less confident about this one though.
At LISO they made us sign a sheet of paper basically saying that our device had been impounded and was within specs.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Unome wrote:
Most invies I've gone (like LISO, which I went to last Saturday) make you write your team number, team name, and names of the people on the checklist sheet. (https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... listv1.pdf) Usually the supervisors have all the sheets, so that when they compete, all they do is find the sheet that corresponds to the team, and fill out the numbers.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Wasn't a log required last year? Might have been using an old form? Would hope not. That aside... how were the coasters? What was the distance and time of winner?
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

I don't think they required a log last year, and they're probably not releasing the scores for roller.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

So how is the supervisor supposed to choose the target time? Random number generator?
DragonTownEpic
State: CA

Post by DragonTownEpic »

I think that they can pick whatever time they want.
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x
EagleViewMS

Post by EagleViewMS »

The new rules..dxijXUjksxbhhb

Return to “Roller Coaster B”