Roller Coaster B

goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Roller Coaster B

Post by goodcheer »

SPP SciO wrote:I'm worried that the clips they're using would be problematic, because the ball would be obscured by it for a millisecond (possibly violating rule 3.c.).
Might could use zip ties or make your own out of the transparent tubing.
cbrant554
Division: C
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

For the fact that the ball has to be visible at all times is that at one angle or if you follow the ball you can clearly see where it's going. I'd say this is mostly just for teams using a tubed track but there is a section on my roller coaster that is not visible from a straight on view point. Would you say that that's legal?
builder83
Been thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

cbrant554 wrote:For the fact that the ball has to be visible at all times is that at one angle or if you follow the ball you can clearly see where it's going. I'd say this is mostly just for teams using a tubed track but there is a section on my roller coaster that is not visible from a straight on view point. Would you say that that's legal?
My opinion, I think assuming the judge can view from more than 1 fixed angle is fine. But I try to keep most my marble easily viewed at all times. I would avoid making a judge view extreme angles to see a tiny fraction of a marble (although I am sure one could appeal that it is viewable....) make it easy on the supervisor. I can already imagine a team asking a judge to lay down on the ground and look through a pinhole to see the marble roll on a mostly obstructed path!
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

cbrant554 wrote:For the fact that the ball has to be visible at all times is that at one angle or if you follow the ball you can clearly see where it's going. I'd say this is mostly just for teams using a tubed track but there is a section on my roller coaster that is not visible from a straight on view point. Would you say that that's legal?
The rules just say "visible". I think the spirit of general rule 1 says that an ES should make a reasonable good-faith attempt to keep the ball in view, rather than keeping his head fixed somewhere. On the other hand, common sense rule 1 says "don't make the ES think". I can imagine an ES deciding that he can ask you where he should stand to keep your ball in constant view, and would guess that an ES who took that line wouldn't be overruled in arbitration.

This rule replaces the "no enclosed tubes" rule from last year, but I'm not clear exactly what the rule is trying to do. And also I'm bad at predicting how ES will interpret the rules.
TheMadScientist
Division: B
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheMadScientist »

How much gap have you been able to get with the new transparent tubing rule? The adjustable tubing makes it seem like we can easily get more gap even with smaller dimensions.
May Balsa Man always be remembered— we all miss you greatly.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

TheMadScientist wrote:How much gap have you been able to get with the new transparent tubing rule? The adjustable tubing makes it seem like we can easily get more gap even with smaller dimensions.
I would think that even with tubed jumps, you wouldn't get any more gap than you would get last year.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
cbrant554

Post by cbrant554 »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
TheMadScientist wrote:How much gap have you been able to get with the new transparent tubing rule? The adjustable tubing makes it seem like we can easily get more gap even with smaller dimensions.
I would think that even with tubed jumps, you wouldn't get any more gap than you would get last year.
It depends on how you think about it because usually tubes will have less friction and can have more speed going into the jumps and in turn make bigger gaps
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

cbrant554 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
It depends on how you think about it because usually tubes will have less friction and can have more speed going into the jumps and in turn make bigger gaps
The jumps would be way less consistent.
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
cbrant554

Post by cbrant554 »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
cbrant554 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
You could just use a funnel
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

cbrant554 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
cbrant554 wrote: It depends on how you think about it because usually tubes will have less friction and can have more speed going into the jumps and in turn make bigger gaps
You could just use a funnel
The ball has a lot more positions it could be in the moment the ball leaves the jump. If it was a track, however, the ball could only be in one position: where the ball only contacts the two points of the track.
Sciolyperson1's Userpage

Return to “Roller Coaster B”