Roller Coaster B

builder83
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Roller Coaster B

Post by builder83 »

Something'sGoneWrong wrote:
builder83 wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:I think one of the biggest changes is 3.c. Last year, that rule prohibited tubes/funnels, and there was some discrepancy as to what exactly "enclosed" meant. Now, it's unambiguous - "the ball/sphere must be visible at all times." So, does that mean that transparent plastic tubes and funnels are ok? I wouldn't think the rule writers intended that consequence, but surely it must've come up in discussion.
You're right. Big loophole in that new rule. My guess is it will be their first clarification. I might just wait a bit before making a clear tube track. Although even if it were allowed I dont know if the general strategy would change much. Funnels can be cool though!
Well think about it a tube would eliminate the need for super elevation of any kind. Although last year it didn't seem like most people did much super elevating. Also a tube allows for more extreme angles of descent or ascent. More extreme angles allow for more momentum. More momentum allows for longer jumps. Tiny changes can make big changes in the right hands.

Lol I'm not even in division B this year
What is super elevation? Probably something I should know...
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

builder83 wrote:
Something'sGoneWrong wrote:
builder83 wrote:
You're right. Big loophole in that new rule. My guess is it will be their first clarification. I might just wait a bit before making a clear tube track. Although even if it were allowed I dont know if the general strategy would change much. Funnels can be cool though!
Well think about it a tube would eliminate the need for super elevation of any kind. Although last year it didn't seem like most people did much super elevating. Also a tube allows for more extreme angles of descent or ascent. More extreme angles allow for more momentum. More momentum allows for longer jumps. Tiny changes can make big changes in the right hands.

Lol I'm not even in division B this year
What is super elevation? Probably something I should know...
I have never heard of this term being used...
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY

Post by SPP SciO »

This picture is something my students built very quickly from available materials. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DO0t_s ... sp=sharingThe 1/2" tubing fits a small steel sphere very nicely, and the jump angle can easily be adjusted. I'm worried that the clips they're using would be problematic, because the ball would be obscured by it for a millisecond (possibly violating rule 3.c.). However, that's just from one vantage point; if you move to look down the path of the tube, you'd be able to see the sphere. I guess the rule isn't as unambiguous as I had thought earlier!

I'm wondering if I should let them run with this idea and build a working device using this track attachment strategy, or if we should stop and find a better way to attach the tubes to a frame.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

SPP SciO wrote:This picture is something my students built very quickly from available materials. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DO0t_s ... sp=sharingThe 1/2" tubing fits a small steel sphere very nicely, and the jump angle can easily be adjusted. I'm worried that the clips they're using would be problematic, because the ball would be obscured by it for a millisecond (possibly violating rule 3.c.). However, that's just from one vantage point; if you move to look down the path of the tube, you'd be able to see the sphere. I guess the rule isn't as unambiguous as I had thought earlier!

I'm wondering if I should let them run with this idea and build a working device using this track attachment strategy, or if we should stop and find a better way to attach the tubes to a frame.
It would be a great prototype, it's something that you might bring to your first invitational. However, after that you should use that prototype and build a better, more consistent design with more reliable tracks.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

SPP SciO wrote: I'm worried that the clips they're using would be problematic, because the ball would be obscured by it for a millisecond (possibly violating rule 3.c.).
Use smaller (narrower) clips.
Use a different type of clip that doesn't go completely around.
Be careful about challenging the event supervisor's interpretation!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
builder83

Post by builder83 »

I think it should not be too hard to interpret. Those narrower clip ideas should be fine. Basically, if you were to pause the ball anywhere in the track it should be visible (even if not fully visible). The prototype above would be penalized twice for breaking visibility but I think it would be simple enough to fix. My prototype is somewhat similar. Clips are easy to 3d print.
fxsandiego

Post by fxsandiego »

Hello, New coach of this event this year. I have a very basic technical question. I am planning to let my students build their tracks using PVC pipes (split half). What would be a good way to make a smooth 90 degree turn? Thanks.
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

One way would be to use a sweep. for 1/2" PVC it would have about a 4 " radius.
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

jander14indoor wrote:
SPP SciO wrote: I'm worried that the clips they're using would be problematic, because the ball would be obscured by it for a millisecond (possibly violating rule 3.c.).
Use smaller (narrower) clips.
Use a different type of clip that doesn't go completely around.
Be careful about challenging the event supervisor's interpretation!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Like they told us at the SciOly Summer Institute, "The worst thing you can do at at Science Olympiad competition, is to make a supervisor think!" :shock:
fxsandiego

Post by fxsandiego »

retired1 wrote:One way would be to use a sweep. for 1/2" PVC it would have about a 4 " radius.
Thanks!

Return to “Roller Coaster B”