A very long Start Line

n2ic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A very long Start Line

Post by n2ic »

I ran across this situation as Event Supervisor at our Regionals...

They had a very long start line that crossed the track multiple times. Where it crossed the track, it was perpendicular to the track. That way, they could choose their starting point after impound, after the target time was announced. I didn't like it, but I couldn't see where the rules prohibited it. I allowed it, but warned them that State might not allow it.

Comments ?

Guess who has just volunteered to fill the opening for Roller Coaster Event Supervisor at the State in two weeks ? :)
builder83

Re: A very long Start Line

Post by builder83 »

n2ic wrote:I ran across this situation as Event Supervisor at our Regionals...

They had a very long start line that crossed the track multiple times. Where it crossed the track, it was perpendicular to the track. That way, they could choose their starting point after impound, after the target time was announced. I didn't like it, but I couldn't see where the rules prohibited it. I allowed it, but warned them that State might not allow it.

Comments ?

Guess who has just volunteered to fill the opening for Roller Coaster Event Supervisor at the State in two weeks ? :)
I think 3f says perpendicular to the track (singular). Therefore, multiple tracks would not be allowed. Still not exactly clear. Also is one of those 'spirit of the event' rules being broken I think. However pretty cool idea they had. Would be easy to have a single track split into different tracks.

The problem you might have is you allowed it at regionals and now regardless should honor it at state unless you contact the team. This happened last year to me on rollercoaster. The same supervisor I had at regionals changed their mind on something at state and I had to make a change during my 8 minutes. Not fun!
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

PURELY unofficial, for official answers your really need to go through the formal processes. National website for national clarifications, your tournament for local clarifications. For official comments, as an event supervisor you should also follow that path, always making sure all teams have access to the same direction.

Para 3.f says: "There must be exactly one clearly labeled Start Line.." Without seeing the device, just from your description, it sounds like the team has multiple start lines. Yes one drawn line, but each time it crosses the track it would be a different physical start point, thus not in compliance with the rules.

My opinion only. I recommend you submit the question to the national site for an official ruling.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

builder83 wrote:
n2ic wrote:I ran across this situation as Event Supervisor at our Regionals...

Comments ?

I think 3f says perpendicular to the track (singular). Therefore, multiple tracks would not be allowed. Still not exactly clear. Also is one of those 'spirit of the event' rules being broken I think. However pretty cool idea they had. Would be easy to have a single track split into different tracks.

The problem you might have is you allowed it at regionals and now regardless should honor it at state unless you contact the team. This happened last year to me on rollercoaster. The same supervisor I had at regionals changed their mind on something at state and I had to make a change during my 8 minutes. Not fun!

Perhaps you can mention this to your State Director and ask him to send something to the teams as a rules update for your State Tournament. That way, whichever ruling you go with, students coming from different Regionals attending the State Tournament won't be surprised.
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

jander14indoor wrote:PURELY unofficial, for official answers your really need to go through the formal processes. National website for national clarifications, your tournament for local clarifications. For official comments, as an event supervisor you should also follow that path, always making sure all teams have access to the same direction.

Para 3.f says: "There must be exactly one clearly labeled Start Line.." Without seeing the device, just from your description, it sounds like the team has multiple start lines. Yes one drawn line, but each time it crosses the track it would be a different physical start point, thus not in compliance with the rules.

My opinion only. I recommend you submit the question to the national site for an official ruling.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Maybe a similar question? Let's say the ball/sphere goes through its run on track of a certain width (say 3 cm) and then at the end falls to the bottom where a slanted board is stationed across the entire bottom face of the device (say 45 x 45 cm) and the finish line is drawn across the entire slanted board such that it is perpendicular to the direction the ball/sphere will roll when it lands. Unofficially, is this OK? Is it still "one" track if it's really, really wide?
builder83

Post by builder83 »

jgrischow1 wrote:
jander14indoor wrote:PURELY unofficial, for official answers your really need to go through the formal processes. National website for national clarifications, your tournament for local clarifications. For official comments, as an event supervisor you should also follow that path, always making sure all teams have access to the same direction.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Maybe a similar question? Let's say the ball/sphere goes through its run on track of a certain width (say 3 cm) and then at the end falls to the bottom where a slanted board is stationed across the entire bottom face of the device (say 45 x 45 cm) and the finish line is drawn across the entire slanted board such that it is perpendicular to the direction the ball/sphere will roll when it lands. Unofficially, is this OK? Is it still "one" track if it's really, really wide?
Should be fine because it is a single track.

Return to “Roller Coaster B”