Unbroken track

WickedLightbringer

Unbroken track

Postby WickedLightbringer » February 27th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Does unbroken track mean that the track can’t bend once the ball lands on it?

builder83
State: -

Re: Unbroken track

Postby builder83 » February 28th, 2019, 5:22 am

I believe it means 1 piece of track with no gaps in it. However it should not hit the side wall of the curve during that first 5 cm.

shri

Postby shri » February 28th, 2019, 9:29 pm

I believe it means 1 piece of track with no gaps in it. However it should not hit the side wall of the curve during that first 5 cm.
The rules say nothing about not hitting the side wall. It will be so hard for the judge to check if the ball touches a side wall. Why do you say that is a requirement?

builder83

Postby builder83 » March 1st, 2019, 7:14 am

I was using this judges interpretation. https://youtu.be/gE3g5vt7muo

I believe he would argue hitting a side wall is no different than hitting a wall (within the first 5 cm) to stop a ball.

shri

Postby shri » March 2nd, 2019, 6:54 am

Hmm. It is a video from this year too.

Coalminor01

Postby Coalminor01 » March 2nd, 2019, 8:40 pm

So when a ball lands after it jumps a gap, it has to travel 5 cm on a surface, and then it can bump into the wall (whether it hits it hard or soft)? Example: it can land on a landing pad that is 10 cm in length before it hits the wall, that is ok? It then would turn 90 degrees and gravity would direct it downhill to the rest of the track ... to me if it says the gap cannot end with the ball hitting the wall, the literal interpretation could be that the ball flies through the air and hits the wall first. I can see the only other interpretation that it can roll towards the wall greater (and less than) 5 cm, and if it hits a wall and then gravity directs it downhill then that is a violation too?

knightmoves

Postby knightmoves » March 3rd, 2019, 12:30 pm

So when a ball lands after it jumps a gap, it has to travel 5 cm on a surface, and then it can bump into the wall (whether it hits it hard or soft)? Example: it can land on a landing pad that is 10 cm in length before it hits the wall, that is ok? It then would turn 90 degrees and gravity would direct it downhill to the rest of the track ... to me if it says the gap cannot end with the ball hitting the wall, the literal interpretation could be that the ball flies through the air and hits the wall first. I can see the only other interpretation that it can roll towards the wall greater (and less than) 5 cm, and if it hits a wall and then gravity directs it downhill then that is a violation too?
I think you are right here - if you're landing on a 10cm pad with a wall at the end, then your 10cm landing pad is "track" and the ball travels more than 5cm along it before anything else happens. If your wall was less than 5cm away, it wouldn't be 5cm of "unbroken track".

I'm a bit nervous that some ES might decide that a flat surface with no sideways constraint isn't a "track" - I'd put small side walls on your landing pad to make it look like a wide u-shaped "track".

Coalminor01

Postby Coalminor01 » March 3rd, 2019, 4:34 pm

I'm nervous about it as well. Our ball clears the gap fine, and goes 5+ cm, hits the wall (which the landpad is connected to), then ricochets around a bit before heading downhill on the track. The sidewalks are a good idea though, but the ball will eventually hit wall. Tough rule with no full explanation. Maybe we will reconfigure the landing so it is pulled away from the wall a bit. Have the ball land on a pad and go 5+ cm, then drop off the the next level where the track is. Hmm. More opinions on this?

WhoKnows

Postby WhoKnows » March 4th, 2019, 9:56 am

I was using this judges interpretation. https://youtu.be/gE3g5vt7muo

I believe he would argue hitting a side wall is no different than hitting a wall (within the first 5 cm) to stop a ball.
In my opinion, Nowhere in the video does he say that the ball can’t hit the sidewall within the first 5cm after jump. All he says is that the ball has to hit the track first and not any of the walls directly. Hitting the sidewall before it hits the track is a clear violation of gap can’t end by hitting a wall.

shri

Postby shri » March 4th, 2019, 3:24 pm

I'm nervous about it as well. Our ball clears the gap fine, and goes 5+ cm, hits the wall (which the landpad is connected to), then ricochets around a bit before heading downhill on the track. The sidewalks are a good idea though, but the ball will eventually hit wall. Tough rule with no full explanation. Maybe we will reconfigure the landing so it is pulled away from the wall a bit. Have the ball land on a pad and go 5+ cm, then drop off the the next level where the track is. Hmm. More opinions on this?
Its hard to understand your scenario without a picture, so difficult to comment for me.

Coalminor01

Postby Coalminor01 » March 5th, 2019, 6:35 am

I gave up trying to add an image but it's just what I described, ball jumps 15 cm to a landing pad, which is shaped roundish. It rolls to the wall, about 10 cm, but depends on where it hits, sometimes it rolls 5 cm to the wall. It bounces around a bit off of the wall before heading downhill to the rest of the track. I think seeing the video (thanks whoever posted that!) helped me conclude our gap should be legal, but who knows what the ES might be thinking for our state. So any more opinions are greatly appreciated.

Return to “Roller Coaster B”