Gap Measurement Question

WhoKnows
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gap Measurement Question

Post by WhoKnows »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I1YPos ... sp=sharing

So I was at a tournament and one of the coasters had a jump that landed on to catcher which was at an angle. Therefore one edge of the catcher was closer to the jump than the other edge. Instead of marking their gap end on the closest part of the catcher they marked the gap end on the furthest part. It's hard to explain just via text so I am including an image above. They wanted the gap measurement to be of "Y" cm instead of the "X" cm. The supervisor only gave them "X" cm based on section 3j which states "Gaps must have a horizontal span of at least 5.0cm from the end of the track the ball/sphere leaves measured to the closest part of the track the ball/sphere lands on". They argued they should get "Y" cm because the ball actually lands at point B and not point A. The supervisor said that it does not matter and since their gap labeling was wildly wrong, he/she could actually discount that whole gap but were willing to give them the "X" cm. In my opinion, the supervisor looks correct based on the way the rule is written but I want to hear what others think. Per the picture above, should the counted gap be "X" or "Y" cm and should the supervisor have given them even "X" cm if the gap labeling was clearly off?
Last edited by WhoKnows on May 10th, 2019, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Gap Measurement Question

Post by CookiePie1 »

WhoKnows wrote:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I1YPos ... sp=sharing

So I was at a tournament and one of the coasters had a jump that landed on to catcher which was at an angle. Therefore one edge of the catcher was closer to the jump than the other edge. Instead of marking their gap end on the closest part of the catcher they marked the gap end on the furthest part. It's hard to explain just via text so I am including an image above. They wanted the gap measurement to be of "Y" cm instead of the "X" cm. The supervisor only gave them "X" cm based on section 3j which states "Gaps must have a horizontal span of at least 5.0cm from the end of the track the ball/sphere leaves measured to the closest part of the track the ball/sphere lands on". They argued they should get "Y" cm because the ball actually lands at point B and not point A. The supervisor said that it does not matter and since their gap labeling was wildly wrong, he/she could actually discount that whole gap but were willing to give them the "X" cm. In my opinion, the supervisor looks correct based on the way the rule is written but I want to hear what others think. Per the picture above, should the counted gap be "X" or "Y" cm and should the supervisor have given them even "X" cm if the gap labeling was clearly off?
I agree with the supervisor especially if the rules say horizontal. Horizontal is horizontal no matter how you slice it.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Also agree. And I think the gap (even though not labeled perfectly) was labeled and should count for X. It's not like they forgot to label, they just disagreed with the supervisor. Much different than somebody not labeling anything and the supervisor gifting them points.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Nothing in the rules about where the ball lands, gap is measured to track features only. Which is only practical way since the gaps are measured as part of impound. Seems pretty clear.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
WhoKnows

Post by WhoKnows »

jander14indoor wrote:Nothing in the rules about where the ball lands, gap is measured to track features only. Which is only practical way since the gaps are measured as part of impound. Seems pretty clear.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
I understand the measuring to track part, but point B is also a track feature, its just that it is the other end of the track. What if the catcher was another sort of shape instead of a line. I think what you (and others above) are saying is that it does not matter, since one is measuring from the point the ball leaves the jump track to nearest part of the track it lands on. The catcher could be any shape and have any track feature it will always be distance X and not distance Y.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Edit
Last edited by builder83 on May 15th, 2019, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

builder83 wrote:If there is a 'catcher' above point B (at least .5cm above that track) then it would be fine to measure Y distance. But that was not really what the picture showed.
WhoKnows

Post by WhoKnows »

builder83 wrote:
builder83 wrote:If there is a 'catcher' above point B (at least .5cm above that track) then it would be fine to measure Y distance. But that was not really what the picture showed.
Yes just one catching track indeed.
SOcoachB

Post by SOcoachB »

WhoKnows wrote:I understand the measuring to track part, but point B is also a track feature, its just that it is the other end of the track. What if the catcher was another sort of shape instead of a line. I think what you (and others above) are saying is that it does not matter, since one is measuring from the point the ball leaves the jump track to nearest part of the track it lands on. The catcher could be any shape and have any track feature it will always be distance X and not distance Y.
Right, the shape makes no difference -- it's the horizontal distance to the nearest part of the catching track.

It can't be Y, because the ball could land short of Y but the failure would not necessarily be obvious.
WhoKnows

Post by WhoKnows »

SOcoachB wrote:
WhoKnows wrote:I understand the measuring to track part, but point B is also a track feature, its just that it is the other end of the track. What if the catcher was another sort of shape instead of a line. I think what you (and others above) are saying is that it does not matter, since one is measuring from the point the ball leaves the jump track to nearest part of the track it lands on. The catcher could be any shape and have any track feature it will always be distance X and not distance Y.
Right, the shape makes no difference -- it's the horizontal distance to the nearest part of the catching track.

It can't be Y, because the ball could land short of Y but the failure would not necessarily be obvious.
Thanks for being so succinct. Your explanation about landing short and failure not being obvious makes perfect sense.

Return to “Roller Coaster B”