Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: National Scores

Post by builderguy135 »

Bread wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
builderguy135 wrote: I personally don't want to but JC has been sending it on like every single chat sooooooo

Ask him ig sry
I deleted all the pics but we could consider putting it on best of 2019 later
That's more of what I was thinking. It's fair if you don't want to though. Very impressive device anyway. Congrats on the gold.
Thank you!!!! :D
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Post by jander14indoor »

Summary of nationals scores
Top score 665, already posted, accurately described
2nd - 653 points, 84 cm across three gaps
3rd - 645 points, 84 cm across two gaps
4th - 608 points, 78 cm across three gaps
5th - 595 points, 72 cm across three gaps
6th - 559 points, 65 cm across three gaps
Pretty close between the top three. Time accuracy made a difference, height didn't, all 6 were 60 cm.

Max gap attempted (and made) 45 cm.

Top no gap device was 20th, 6 cm tall and within a second of target time. Lowest device was 4 cm and it was 21st.

Scores were above 500 through 9th, above 400 through 19th, above 300 through 36th.

Target time was picked partly because I thought the teams might be expecting something closer to the max.

9 teams were tiered, almost all due to being oversize. Typically only a couple of millimeters, and typically due to some added part that stuck out. Two things drive this:
- One, teams build too close to the max dimension, often for no good reason, the functional parts were well inside the max.
- Two, teams don't understand how to check a three-dimensional rectangular prism.

Overall a very good competition by the students, again it was great working with the students, wish I could have met more of you, but I had to spend the day measuring while my experienced timing team worked with most of you directly.

Enjoy your summer, Roller Coaster is rotated out next year, Robots is off rotation for a least a year, working on improving the rules.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

jander14indoor wrote:Summary of nationals scores
Top score 665, already posted, accurately described
2nd - 653 points, 84 cm across three gaps
3rd - 645 points, 84 cm across two gaps
4th - 608 points, 78 cm across three gaps
5th - 595 points, 72 cm across three gaps
6th - 559 points, 65 cm across three gaps
Pretty close between the top three. Time accuracy made a difference, height didn't, all 6 were 60 cm.

Max gap attempted (and made) 45 cm.

Top no gap device was 20th, 6 cm tall and within a second of target time. Lowest device was 4 cm and it was 21st.

Scores were above 500 through 9th, above 400 through 19th, above 300 through 36th.

Target time was picked partly because I thought the teams might be expecting something closer to the max.

9 teams were tiered, almost all due to being oversize. Typically only a couple of millimeters, and typically due to some added part that stuck out. Two things drive this:
- One, teams build too close to the max dimension, often for no good reason, the functional parts were well inside the max.
- Two, teams don't understand how to check a three-dimensional rectangular prism.

Overall a very good competition by the students, again it was great working with the students, wish I could have met more of you, but I had to spend the day measuring while my experienced timing team worked with most of you directly.

Enjoy your summer, Roller Coaster is rotated out next year, Robots is off rotation for a least a year, working on improving the rules.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Thank you for proctoring this event!

Surprised scores were so close together as well.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

You are more than welcome.

I enjoy spending time with the competitors, you all are universally polite, knowledgeable and well spoken. While the day is long and hard, it is ultimately time well and enjoyably spent on the part of me and my volunteers.

I think the scores represented an event that worked as intended as an event. Success at some level was very possible. The scoring was well distributed across the range, reflecting the effort put in. I only had two ties. From what I could tell, luck wasn't too critical a factor.

When It comes back, about the only change I'd make (other than the normal dimensions and tweaking areas that weren't clear as evidenced by number of FAQs) would be to weight height and time even more to allow wider strategies to be more competitive.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Bread
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bread »

jander14indoor wrote:9 teams were tiered, almost all due to being oversize. Typically only a couple of millimeters, and typically due to some added part that stuck out. Two things drive this:
Heh heh

oh the pain of having a stubborn coach
VHS '22
VU/Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:10/2/3/21
Dynamic:3/2/11/46

Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:1/1/15
Thermo:1/6/29
Roller:3/10/20

VU/Reg/State/Nats
Fossils <3 :1/1/1/2 :D 
Dynamic:4/1/2/26
Thermo:2/1/1/5 :D 
Roller:9/-/1/51 (tier)
Rip maybe next year
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by bernard »

Bread wrote:
jander14indoor wrote:9 teams were tiered, almost all due to being oversize. Typically only a couple of millimeters, and typically due to some added part that stuck out. Two things drive this:
Heh heh

I observed this too frequently with Mousetrap Vehicle, where making your device fit in a box that is 1 cm smaller on each dimension confers virtually no disadvantage.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

bernard wrote:
Bread wrote:
Heh heh

I observed this too frequently with Mousetrap Vehicle, where making your device fit in a box that is 1 cm smaller on each dimension confers virtually no disadvantage.
However, 1 cm of height on a roller is worth approx 1.4 cm's of gap - and 2 cm's is the difference between 1st and 2nd.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
bernard wrote:
Bread wrote: Heh heh

However, 1 cm of height on a roller is worth approx 1.4 cm's of gap - and 2 cm's is the difference between 1st and 2nd.
yes.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Bread wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:
Bread wrote::o I don't think I could have gotten that even if we jumped across the diagonals... We had 36 gap, 43 second run and a tier rip. I only got one run in. Should have been more aware of the timer.
Got lucky with timer lol. 47 was near our max so no notifications to our timer. Didn't bother making a second run because there were no improvements to make.
I was pretty surprised about it only being 47 seconds. I thought it was gonna be somewhere in the 50's and maybe even 60. Also will there be a picture of your device? That's something I'd love to see.
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/The_B ... irst_Place
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by bernard »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
Bread wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:Got lucky with timer lol. 47 was near our max so no notifications to our timer. Didn't bother making a second run because there were no improvements to make.
I was pretty surprised about it only being 47 seconds. I thought it was gonna be somewhere in the 50's and maybe even 60. Also will there be a picture of your device? That's something I'd love to see.
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/The_B ... irst_Place
Thank you for sharing. How did you adjust timing?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Roller Coaster B”