Battery Buggy B

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Battery Buggy B

Postby windu34 » June 30th, 2018, 10:26 am

Battery Buggy: Teams will construct a vehicle that uses electrical energy as its sole means of propulsion, quickly travels a specified distance, and stops as close as possible to the Target Point.

Battery Buggy Wiki

Battery Buggy Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2018
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT Invitational - Mission Possible
Harvard Invitational - Sounds of Music
Princeton Invitational - Herpetology

SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby SPP SciO » September 4th, 2018, 3:42 am

First glance at the rules seems to suggest that last year's vehicle would be legal for this year. If competition were tomorrow, most teams could take their battery buggy & practice log off the shelf and get scoring runs with no modifications. Of course, the scoring bonus will lead to much narrower vehicles I'm assuming - maybe some "motorcycle" designs?

Three pages of Battery Buggy rules this year! I've never seen such a thing - I guess it's a luxury of digital vs. paper rules manuals.

First specific question (likely many to follow) - is it safe to assume "wheel setting" in the required practice log parameters refers to axle rotations, or is there something more I'm missing?
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

sciolyperson1
State: NJ

Postby sciolyperson1 » September 4th, 2018, 4:08 am

I'm going to assume wheel setting is however you and your partner wound the wheel. It could be you counting the amount of rotations, amount of rotations of a gear, distance, position of the wingnut on the axle, or whatever system you and your partner use.
Community MS (NJ) Captain
Events
LISO/Rustin/Regs/Garnet/Cornell/States
Roller: 1/2/1/10/4/-
Boomi: 2/5/1/3/7/-
Myst: 1/8/20/1/8/-
Road: x/5/x/3/x/x
Buggy: 2/1/1/3/6/-
Duct Tape: x/13/x/4/x/-
WIDI: x/x/1/x/x/-
Parasitology: x/x/x/1/x/4
Team: 1/1/1/1/1/-
Medal Count 2019: 21

windu34

Postby windu34 » September 4th, 2018, 6:12 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:I'm going to assume wheel setting is however you and your partner wound the wheel. It could be you counting the amount of rotations, amount of rotations of a gear, distance, position of the wingnut on the axle, or whatever system you and your partner use.

Unofficially, I would agree with this interpretation
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
windu34's Userpage

M017
State: NE

Postby M017 » September 4th, 2018, 8:10 pm

SPP SciO wrote:First glance at the rules seems to suggest that last year's vehicle would be legal for this year. If competition were tomorrow, most teams could take their battery buggy & practice log off the shelf and get scoring runs with no modifications. Of course, the scoring bonus will lead to much narrower vehicles I'm assuming - maybe some "motorcycle" designs?

Three pages of Battery Buggy rules this year! I've never seen such a thing - I guess it's a luxury of digital vs. paper rules manuals.

First specific question (likely many to follow) - is it safe to assume "wheel setting" in the required practice log parameters refers to axle rotations, or is there something more I'm missing?

What is the scoring bonus? (I haven't gotten a chance to look at the rules yet)
Mission Middle School, NE
R/S/Nats
Herpetology: 1/1/14
Dynamic: 1/1/22
Towers: -/1/15
BB: -/3/41 :cry:

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » September 5th, 2018, 4:18 am

M017 wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:First glance at the rules seems to suggest that last year's vehicle would be legal for this year. If competition were tomorrow, most teams could take their battery buggy & practice log off the shelf and get scoring runs with no modifications. Of course, the scoring bonus will lead to much narrower vehicles I'm assuming - maybe some "motorcycle" designs?

Cans, as in 2017 Electric Vehicle. A high-scoring vehicle would curve between the cans, which can be closer together at the discretion of the currently competing team for a higher bonus. See 6.b, 5.g, and 7.e.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

builder83
State: -

Postby builder83 » September 5th, 2018, 5:51 am

Unome wrote:
M017 wrote:

Cans, as in 2017 Electric Vehicle. A high-scoring vehicle would curve between the cans, which can be closer together at the discretion of the currently competing team for a higher bonus. See 6.b, 5.g, and 7.e.

Yeah I saw the electric vehicle. Except they could electronically adjust steering. Manually (mechanically) adjusting steering on the spot will be the challenge I think.

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » September 5th, 2018, 6:36 am

I think I'll be using a dial caliper for steering. Do you guys think the bonus points will be significant enough that they will probably be required for you to medal?
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Thermodynamics
The Supreme Vanquisher of Snails
#BalsaManForever

builder83
State: -

Postby builder83 » September 5th, 2018, 6:49 am

MadCow2357 wrote:I think I'll be using a dial caliper for steering. Do you guys think the bonus points will be significant enough that they will probably be required for you to medal?

Probably. Figure the difference between shooting through a 20 cm gap compared to a 40 cm gap is 10 points. Equivalent to being off by 5 cm. Accuracy will be much more difficult. Speed not much of a factor. Dial caliper or something like it may be good. Adjusting for steering and distance I think I need 20 minutes instead of 8...

windu34

Postby windu34 » September 5th, 2018, 10:20 am

MadCow2357 wrote:I think I'll be using a dial caliper for steering. Do you guys think the bonus points will be significant enough that they will probably be required for you to medal?

This will highly depend on what state you are in and the competitiveness of the tournament. Being able to successfully do the bonus will give you a way larger margin of error to perform poorly in accuracy compared to a device that cant do the bonus. The bonus is weighted EXTREMELY heavily, 250% more than it was in EV 2017. If you want to be competitive at even a moderately uncompetitive tournament (example Florida States), you shouldn't even consider not doing the bonus. However, I am sure there are a few very uncompetitive tournaments across the country that will have non-bonus devices taking medals.
windu34's Userpage

bearasauras
State: CA

Postby bearasauras » September 24th, 2018, 4:48 pm

The track diagram is now posted.

M017
State: NE

Postby M017 » September 25th, 2018, 7:27 am

bearasauras wrote:The track diagram is now posted.

Do we get to choose which side the cans are on or do they have to be in the left?
Mission Middle School, NE
R/S/Nats
Herpetology: 1/1/14
Dynamic: 1/1/22
Towers: -/1/15
BB: -/3/41 :cry:

retired1

Postby retired1 » September 25th, 2018, 7:33 am

The rules plainly say "Left"

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » September 25th, 2018, 10:17 am

Last year, I used a kind of scale for brake setting. It was basically a cut up centimeter ruler stuck onto my stopping rod. I'm wondering how much of a difference in accuracy is there between counting the rotations and using a scale like I did. :?:
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Thermodynamics
The Supreme Vanquisher of Snails
#BalsaManForever

waffletree
State: PA

Postby waffletree » September 25th, 2018, 2:35 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:Last year, I used a kind of scale for brake setting. It was basically a cut up centimeter ruler stuck onto my stopping rod. I'm wondering how much of a difference in accuracy is there between counting the rotations and using a scale like I did. :?:

Pretty sure that spinning it would be just a little more accurate the using the ruler since there's a bit less space for error?
like if on the bumpy ride to competition, the ruler gets messed up a tiny bit there would be a huge difference...which could cost you a few placings
Bala Cynwyd Middle School, 8th grade

2018-19 events ~ Boomilever ~ ELG ~ Mystery Architecture ~ Battery Buggy ~
2017-18 events ~ Wright stuff ~ Towers ~ Mystery Architecture ~
Other events I've competed in ~ WIDI ~ Hovercraft ~ Herpetology ~ Duct Tape Challenge

Return to “Battery Buggy B”