Battery Buggy B

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by MadCow2357 »

jgrischow1 wrote:So my kids wanted to go with the narrower BaneBots wheels (t-40s?) to try to get a better can score. Problem is, they don't fit nearly as well on their hubs as the bigger ones did. Obviously there is half as much material, but the fit is so poor the wheels wobble on the hubs. We have tried putting plumber's tape around the hubs to make the fit better. Any other ideas?

Also, the set screws are a pain. We never had a problem with the bigger wheels, but with these, tighten too much, and the set screw strips or the hex key rounds off. Tighten not enough, and the hubs come off the axle. Tough to find the sweet spot. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I've experienced similar problems. What I've had to do is tighten the hubs once like every 5 runs. It's tedious, and my tiny allen wrench is almost rounded now, but with my current setup I can't see a better alternative that isn't completely permanent. The extra two centimeters of possible can bonus is well worth it. However, if you were fine with not being able to remove the hubs and the wheels you could epoxy the hubs to the axle and epoxy the wheel to the hub.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:So my kids wanted to go with the narrower BaneBots wheels (t-40s?) to try to get a better can score. Problem is, they don't fit nearly as well on their hubs as the bigger ones did. Obviously there is half as much material, but the fit is so poor the wheels wobble on the hubs. We have tried putting plumber's tape around the hubs to make the fit better. Any other ideas?

Also, the set screws are a pain. We never had a problem with the bigger wheels, but with these, tighten too much, and the set screw strips or the hex key rounds off. Tighten not enough, and the hubs come off the axle. Tough to find the sweet spot. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I've experienced similar problems. What I've had to do is tighten the hubs once like every 5 runs. It's tedious, and my tiny allen wrench is almost rounded now, but with my current setup I can't see a better alternative that isn't completely permanent. The extra two centimeters of possible can bonus is well worth it. However, if you were fine with not being able to remove the hubs and the wheels you could epoxy the hubs to the axle and epoxy the wheel to the hub.
Tightening the hubs won't ever be consistent. Two extra centimeters of can bonus is not worth it, consistency definitely has a higher priority.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
abby1kanobe
Division: B
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by abby1kanobe »

Simple question....can you change batteries after your fist run?
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

abby1kanobe wrote:Simple question....can you change batteries after your fist run?
Yes.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:

Thanks.
Tightening the hubs won't ever be consistent. Two extra centimeters of can bonus is not worth it, consistency definitely has a higher priority.
MadCow2357 wrote:

Thanks.
Thanks!
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

Not sure if this is the right place, as this pertains more to EV, so maybe the older folk like windy can answer, but i know it's not possible to run a brushless motor without an esc but is it possible to run the esc without using a micro controller
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Rossyspsce wrote:Not sure if this is the right place, as this pertains more to EV, so maybe the older folk like windy can answer, but i know it's not possible to run a brushless motor without an esc but is it possible to run the esc without using a micro controller
Just curious... is this for buggy? Esc's are still a circuit and I doubt you could use one for buggy. I think I get to do this my senior year if they have EV again.
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

builder83 wrote:
Rossyspsce wrote:Not sure if this is the right place, as this pertains more to EV, so maybe the older folk like windy can answer, but i know it's not possible to run a brushless motor without an esc but is it possible to run the esc without using a micro controller
Just curious... is this for buggy? Esc's are still a circuit and I doubt you could use one for buggy. I think I get to do this my senior year if they have EV again.
more ev, but want redemption from last year's buggy that failed during competition almost every time, so I';m trying to do it without using a micro controller
bennieabuse

Battery Buggy B

Post by bennieabuse »

Just wondering if this particular battery is the one i really need,as its the one that came with the buggy,but is starting to loose its power life slowly.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

bennieabuse wrote:Just wondering if this particular battery is the one i really need,as its the one that came with the buggy,but is starting to loose its power life slowly.
That's what batteries do after use...

Also a few other things:
1. A quick google search shows that Denmark, New Jersey doesn't exist.
2. According to your user information, you are in Division C, so Battery Buggy shouldn't concern you whatsoever.
3. Your username is not exactly appropriate.

In summary, you are probably a troll
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Battery Buggy B”