Battery Buggy B

User avatar
megrimlockawesom
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: October 14th, 2017, 5:44 pm
Division: C
State: NC

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby megrimlockawesom » November 1st, 2018, 6:21 am

last year our buggy was very wide and blocky. With the newer rules I'm not so certain if this will work. I am going to assume that a lot of the newer designs are going to be slimmer like in electric vehicle 2017 as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEkrM5TGFCU
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute, Thermodynamics

I like Overwatch, Marvel, and food

Bottom Text

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 388
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby sciolyperson1 » November 1st, 2018, 4:52 pm

megrimlockawesom wrote:last year our buggy was very wide and blocky. With the newer rules I'm not so certain if this will work. I am going to assume that a lot of the newer designs are going to be slimmer like in electric vehicle 2017 as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEkrM5TGFCU


I think that 15cm is already very narrow, there really isn't any point going any thinner. Minimum thinness should be amount 10cm imo.
HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


'17: Scrambler - Towers - Mission
'18: Buggy - Towers - WIDI
'19: Buggy - Roller - Mystery - Boomi
'20: Gravity - Boomi - PPP - Detector? - Wright? - WIDI?

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1304
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby windu34 » December 15th, 2018, 4:09 pm

Finally got my vehicle events video posted here: link
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2020:
UT Austin - Circuit Lab B/C
Solon - Circuit Lab C
Nationals - Circuit Lab C

ElGuapo
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: December 20th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby ElGuapo » December 20th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Anyone know what should be the length of the threaded rod for the wingnut to travel across and shut down the microswitch?
I am just now ordering the materials (I know...a little late in the day) and was hoping to cut down on some of the trial & error - building time. For a 12 Meter (curve) run. Will the wingnut need a 6 inch threaded rod or less or more to cover the distance from one end of the rod to the other end (to the micro switch)?
I hope I am making sense.
I would really appreciate it if someone could share their experience.

Thanks!!

Umaroth
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: February 10th, 2018, 8:51 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Kraemer Room 504, Troy Room 901, or studying at my dining table

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby Umaroth » December 20th, 2018, 10:45 pm

ElGuapo wrote:Anyone know what should be the length of the threaded rod for the wingnut to travel across and shut down the microswitch?
I am just now ordering the materials (I know...a little late in the day) and was hoping to cut down on some of the trial & error - building time. For a 12 Meter (curve) run. Will the wingnut need a 6 inch threaded rod or less or more to cover the distance from one end of the rod to the other end (to the micro switch)?
I hope I am making sense.
I would really appreciate it if someone could share their experience.

Thanks!!

It all depends on your wheel diameter, the gearing to your threaded rod, and the thread count on the rod itself. The higher the thread count, the shorter you will need it because the wingnut would travel a shorter distance per rotation of the rod. If the wheels are bigger, you would not need as much rod because it travels farther per wheel rotation. If you gear the rod so the wheel rotation to rod rotation ratio is greater, you would not need as much rod because the wheel rotates more per rotation of the rod. It just depends on how you want to design your buggy.
Proud Padre of Kraemer SciOly
Kraemer SciOly Co-Captain 2018-2019
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-2019
Kraemer SciOly Online Liaison/Resource Manager/Assistant Coach 2019-2020

Umaroth's Userpage

ElGuapo
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: December 20th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby ElGuapo » December 21st, 2018, 6:57 am

Does anyone have any experience with 1/8" /3mm rod with 2-3/8" Banebots wheels (that's what I am planning on using). How long a threaded rod would be enough for the wingnut to make it across? Thanks!

ElGuapo
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: December 20th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby ElGuapo » December 21st, 2018, 9:43 pm

windu34 wrote:Finally got my vehicle events video posted here: link


Thank you!!
Really appreciate your taking the time out to put this together and post it here!
This is really helpful!

retired1
Member
Member
Posts: 672
Joined: July 25th, 2012, 5:04 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby retired1 » December 23rd, 2018, 2:37 pm

I am not working with battery buggy this year.
I have 8 bane-bot wheels 1/2 " hub 2 7/8 dia and shaft size 0.158 Green tires.
Have threaded rod that fits 10 " long and at least one 8" plain stainless rod. Miscellaneous bushings and thrust bearings.
An assortment of gears. Not sure which ones go together.
Any body still looking for this?

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
State: -

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby builder83 » December 23rd, 2018, 5:03 pm

retired1 wrote:I am not working with battery buggy this year.
I have 8 bane-bot wheels 1/2 " hub 2 7/8 dia and shaft size 0.158 Green tires.
Have threaded rod that fits 10 " long and at least one 8" plain stainless rod. Miscellaneous bushings and thrust bearings.
An assortment of gears. Not sure which ones go together.
Any body still looking for this?


@Madcow2357

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
State: -

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby builder83 » December 23rd, 2018, 5:03 pm

builder83 wrote:
retired1 wrote:I am not working with battery buggy this year.
I have 8 bane-bot wheels 1/2 " hub 2 7/8 dia and shaft size 0.158 Green tires.
Have threaded rod that fits 10 " long and at least one 8" plain stainless rod. Miscellaneous bushings and thrust bearings.
An assortment of gears. Not sure which ones go together.
Any body still looking for this?


@Madcow2357 these T40s or 80s?

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby MadCow2357 » December 23rd, 2018, 7:38 pm

builder83 wrote:
retired1 wrote:I am not working with battery buggy this year.
I have 8 bane-bot wheels 1/2 " hub 2 7/8 dia and shaft size 0.158 Green tires.
Have threaded rod that fits 10 " long and at least one 8" plain stainless rod. Miscellaneous bushings and thrust bearings.
An assortment of gears. Not sure which ones go together.
Any body still looking for this?

These T40s or 80s?

^
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

retired1
Member
Member
Posts: 672
Joined: July 25th, 2012, 5:04 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby retired1 » December 24th, 2018, 7:29 am

They are t-40

waffletree
Member
Member
Posts: 234
Joined: March 28th, 2018, 2:30 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: costco

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby waffletree » January 1st, 2019, 10:19 am

What are the intervals for the target distance for invitationals?
hhs
builder cult vp /// #treegang
234.36

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
State: -

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby builder83 » January 1st, 2019, 3:54 pm

waffletree wrote:What are the intervals for the target distance for invitationals?

9-12 meters. 1/2 meter intervals for our invitational and regional. 1/10 meter for state.

goscioly
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: January 3rd, 2019, 8:43 pm

Re: Battery Buggy B

Postby goscioly » January 3rd, 2019, 8:48 pm

I like to see how a Caliper Steering actually works, does the kit from https://wardsci.com/store/catalog/produ ... 470309-700 have caliper steering? I got most of what need to be built, but caliper steering is something I am not able to get a handle on, I did look at the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKC8MYR ... e=youtu.be and the forum thread on Steering. Any other pointers?


Return to “Battery Buggy B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests