Vehicle Thickness

AugustW
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Vehicle Thickness

Post by AugustW »

How do you get it less than 20cm. Do you use wingnut to stop, because I do, and that is the narrowest I can get it with having enough room for the wing nut to reach 12 meters distance. I used wingnut and counting revolutions. Do you have any other ideas of how to brake. Also, is there electric vehicle in high school? Still active?
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Bigger wheels, fewer rotations. Even with moderate diameter wheels it is pretty easy to build under 20 with a wingnut brake.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

AugustW wrote:Do you have any other ideas of how to brake. Also, is there electric vehicle in high school? Still active?
String works, though a wingnut system is recommended. Electric Vehicle won't rotate in until 2024, iirc.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
AugustW

Post by AugustW »

Are there any competitions in high school that are not sci oly , but like it? :D 8-)
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

AugustW wrote:How do you get it less than 20cm. Do you use wingnut to stop, because I do, and that is the narrowest I can get it with having enough room for the wing nut to reach 12 meters distance. I used wingnut and counting revolutions. Do you have any other ideas of how to brake. Also, is there electric vehicle in high school? Still active?
Use a rod with more threads per inch. They make coarse threaded rod, which is often around 20 tpi, which you might be using, as well as fine threaded rod, which gets up to 28+ tpi.
AugustW

Post by AugustW »

jgrischow1 wrote:
AugustW wrote:How do you get it less than 20cm. Do you use wingnut to stop, because I do, and that is the narrowest I can get it with having enough room for the wing nut to reach 12 meters distance. I used wingnut and counting revolutions. Do you have any other ideas of how to brake. Also, is there electric vehicle in high school? Still active?
Use a rod with more threads per inch. They make coarse threaded rod, which is often around 20 tpi, which you might be using, as well as fine threaded rod, which gets up to 28+ tpi.
Okay, but how would you use a caliper, if the vehicle is so thin. The wider it is, the easier you can tell the numbers apart on a caliper and the more accurate. Would you just have to get a better caliper? I am using 1/1000 inch and it is not accurate enough. If I made it less than 20cm, it would not be close. How did you solve this problem?
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

AugustW wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:
Okay, but how would you use a caliper, if the vehicle is so thin. The wider it is, the easier you can tell the numbers apart on a caliper and the more accurate. Would you just have to get a better caliper? I am using 1/1000 inch and it is not accurate enough. If I made it less than 20cm, it would not be close. How did you solve this problem?
Sorry, my kids don't use a caliper. My post was specifically in reference to your braking question.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

AugustW wrote:Are there any competitions in high school that are not sci oly , but like it? :D 8-)
Lol dude this isn't really the thread for this question. Try General Chat.
AugustW wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:
Maximize the length the buggy to increase the wheelbase. A larger wheelbase results in better 'precision'.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
athanzxyt

Post by athanzxyt »

MadCow2357 wrote:
AugustW wrote:Are there any competitions in high school that are not sci oly , but like it? :D 8-)
Lol dude this isn't really the thread for this question. Try General Chat.
AugustW wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:
Maximize the length the buggy to increase the wheelbase. A larger wheelbase results in better 'precision'.
I swear man you guys are literally using the same terminology and design as us.
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

athanzxyt wrote:I swear man you guys are literally using the same terminology and design as us.
Wdym?

I don't think I have the same design, at least... but again I haven't seen your buggy so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Battery Buggy B”