Vehicle Thickness

AugustW
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: April 12th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Re: Vehicle Thickness

Postby AugustW » April 12th, 2019, 8:32 pm

How do you get it less than 20cm. Do you use wingnut to stop, because I do, and that is the narrowest I can get it with having enough room for the wing nut to reach 12 meters distance. I used wingnut and counting revolutions. Do you have any other ideas of how to brake. Also, is there electric vehicle in high school? Still active?

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
State: -

Re: Vehicle Thickness

Postby builder83 » April 12th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Bigger wheels, fewer rotations. Even with moderate diameter wheels it is pretty easy to build under 20 with a wingnut brake.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Vehicle Thickness

Postby MadCow2357 » April 12th, 2019, 9:09 pm

AugustW wrote:Do you have any other ideas of how to brake. Also, is there electric vehicle in high school? Still active?

String works, though a wingnut system is recommended. Electric Vehicle won't rotate in until 2024, iirc.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

AugustW
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: April 12th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Re: Vehicle Thickness

Postby AugustW » April 13th, 2019, 5:37 am

Are there any competitions in high school that are not sci oly , but like it? :D 8-)

jgrischow1
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: March 20th, 2011, 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: OH

Re: Vehicle Thickness

Postby jgrischow1 » April 13th, 2019, 6:58 am

AugustW wrote:How do you get it less than 20cm. Do you use wingnut to stop, because I do, and that is the narrowest I can get it with having enough room for the wing nut to reach 12 meters distance. I used wingnut and counting revolutions. Do you have any other ideas of how to brake. Also, is there electric vehicle in high school? Still active?


Use a rod with more threads per inch. They make coarse threaded rod, which is often around 20 tpi, which you might be using, as well as fine threaded rod, which gets up to 28+ tpi.

AugustW
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: April 12th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Re: Vehicle Thickness

Postby AugustW » April 13th, 2019, 7:02 am

jgrischow1 wrote:
AugustW wrote:How do you get it less than 20cm. Do you use wingnut to stop, because I do, and that is the narrowest I can get it with having enough room for the wing nut to reach 12 meters distance. I used wingnut and counting revolutions. Do you have any other ideas of how to brake. Also, is there electric vehicle in high school? Still active?


Use a rod with more threads per inch. They make coarse threaded rod, which is often around 20 tpi, which you might be using, as well as fine threaded rod, which gets up to 28+ tpi.

Okay, but how would you use a caliper, if the vehicle is so thin. The wider it is, the easier you can tell the numbers apart on a caliper and the more accurate. Would you just have to get a better caliper? I am using 1/1000 inch and it is not accurate enough. If I made it less than 20cm, it would not be close. How did you solve this problem?

jgrischow1
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: March 20th, 2011, 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: OH

Re: Vehicle Thickness

Postby jgrischow1 » April 13th, 2019, 7:34 am

AugustW wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:
AugustW wrote:How do you get it less than 20cm. Do you use wingnut to stop, because I do, and that is the narrowest I can get it with having enough room for the wing nut to reach 12 meters distance. I used wingnut and counting revolutions. Do you have any other ideas of how to brake. Also, is there electric vehicle in high school? Still active?


Use a rod with more threads per inch. They make coarse threaded rod, which is often around 20 tpi, which you might be using, as well as fine threaded rod, which gets up to 28+ tpi.

Okay, but how would you use a caliper, if the vehicle is so thin. The wider it is, the easier you can tell the numbers apart on a caliper and the more accurate. Would you just have to get a better caliper? I am using 1/1000 inch and it is not accurate enough. If I made it less than 20cm, it would not be close. How did you solve this problem?


Sorry, my kids don't use a caliper. My post was specifically in reference to your braking question.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Vehicle Thickness

Postby MadCow2357 » April 13th, 2019, 12:45 pm

AugustW wrote:Are there any competitions in high school that are not sci oly , but like it? :D 8-)

Lol dude this isn't really the thread for this question. Try General Chat.

AugustW wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:
AugustW wrote:How do you get it less than 20cm. Do you use wingnut to stop, because I do, and that is the narrowest I can get it with having enough room for the wing nut to reach 12 meters distance. I used wingnut and counting revolutions. Do you have any other ideas of how to brake. Also, is there electric vehicle in high school? Still active?


Use a rod with more threads per inch. They make coarse threaded rod, which is often around 20 tpi, which you might be using, as well as fine threaded rod, which gets up to 28+ tpi.

Okay, but how would you use a caliper, if the vehicle is so thin. The wider it is, the easier you can tell the numbers apart on a caliper and the more accurate. Would you just have to get a better caliper? I am using 1/1000 inch and it is not accurate enough. If I made it less than 20cm, it would not be close. How did you solve this problem?

Maximize the length the buggy to increase the wheelbase. A larger wheelbase results in better 'precision'.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

athanzxyt
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: October 27th, 2018, 10:30 am

Re: Vehicle Thickness

Postby athanzxyt » April 24th, 2019, 12:02 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
AugustW wrote:Are there any competitions in high school that are not sci oly , but like it? :D 8-)

Lol dude this isn't really the thread for this question. Try General Chat.

AugustW wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:
Use a rod with more threads per inch. They make coarse threaded rod, which is often around 20 tpi, which you might be using, as well as fine threaded rod, which gets up to 28+ tpi.

Okay, but how would you use a caliper, if the vehicle is so thin. The wider it is, the easier you can tell the numbers apart on a caliper and the more accurate. Would you just have to get a better caliper? I am using 1/1000 inch and it is not accurate enough. If I made it less than 20cm, it would not be close. How did you solve this problem?

Maximize the length the buggy to increase the wheelbase. A larger wheelbase results in better 'precision'.


I swear man you guys are literally using the same terminology and design as us.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Vehicle Thickness

Postby MadCow2357 » April 24th, 2019, 2:40 pm

athanzxyt wrote:I swear man you guys are literally using the same terminology and design as us.

Wdym?

I don't think I have the same design, at least... but again I haven't seen your buggy so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever


Return to “Battery Buggy B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests