Battery Buggy Wheel Stopping Mechanism

TheRealToast
Division: B
State: LA

Battery Buggy Wheel Stopping Mechanism

Postby TheRealToast » September 28th, 2018, 1:16 pm

How are you all going to stop the motor?
2019 events: Boomilever - Mystery Architecture - Battery Buggy

Toast is better than Bagels.

"Guys, stop it with the puns. We've all sulfured enough." - Me

MadCow2357
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Battery Buggy Wheel Stopping Mechanism

Postby MadCow2357 » September 28th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Well, pretty much everything is explained to some degree on the wiki. I would really recommend reading through the wiki, and also some past threads to help you understand battery buggy better. But in short, a wingnut travels down a threaded rod axle as the buggy moves forward. Eventually, the wingnut, which is riding on a sort of stopping rod, will contact the microswitch and thus cut the circuit. It will also lock into place against the stopping point. Thats how bb brakes work.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
#BalsaManForever

TheRealToast
State: LA

Postby TheRealToast » September 30th, 2018, 3:49 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:Well, pretty much everything is explained to some degree on the wiki. I would really recommend reading through the wiki, and also some past threads to help you understand battery buggy better. But in short, a wingnut travels down a threaded rod axle as the buggy moves forward. Eventually, the wingnut, which is riding on a sort of stopping rod, will contact the microswitch and thus cut the circuit. It will also lock into place against the stopping point. Thats how bb brakes work.

Thanks!
2019 events: Boomilever - Mystery Architecture - Battery Buggy

Toast is better than Bagels.

"Guys, stop it with the puns. We've all sulfured enough." - Me

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Postby megrimlockawesom » October 4th, 2018, 6:52 pm

back when i did it, you typically used a microswitch connected to the motor. How you get the microswitch to open is up to you
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute, Thermodynamics

I like Overwatch, Marvel, and food

Bottom Text

Hopelessnewbie

Postby Hopelessnewbie » January 14th, 2019, 8:42 pm

For me, my wing nut doesn't ride the stopping rod - it just pushes against it and makes this horrible noise until one of them gives out. How am I supposed to get the wing nut to "ride" the stopping rod?

builder83
State: -

Postby builder83 » January 15th, 2019, 9:42 am

You can angle the micro switch so it is more parallel with the axle. This allows the motor to be turned off and then coast for a bit before the wingnut engages the end of its track and brakes.

Or I have found a lightweight toggle switch to work well (not sure if dynamic braking is possible though, probably depends on the switch connections).

ElGuapo

Postby ElGuapo » January 23rd, 2019, 5:16 pm

Need Help Please! My buggy is stopping alright. The Wingnut engages the microswitch and then hits the nut and the vehicle stops. My problem is that the wingnut winds up so hard against the nut at the end that it is becoming literally impossible to extricate it by turning it backwards. Any suggestions what I can possible put in front of the nut at the end so that the wingnut doesn't completely jam into it and sticks like glue. I have tried coiling a wire in front of it but it doesn't help. Anyone have a similar problem? Please let me know. The invitational is this Saturday. I am having trouble just doing the practice runs because after each run I end up having to literally take apart the axle and extricate the wingnut from the stopping nut. Thanks!!

falcon1236912
State: MO

Postby falcon1236912 » January 23rd, 2019, 6:28 pm

ElGuapo wrote:Need Help Please! My buggy is stopping alright. The Wingnut engages the microswitch and then hits the nut and the vehicle stops. My problem is that the wingnut winds up so hard against the nut at the end that it is becoming literally impossible to extricate it by turning it backwards. Any suggestions what I can possible put in front of the nut at the end so that the wingnut doesn't completely jam into it and sticks like glue. I have tried coiling a wire in front of it but it doesn't help. Anyone have a similar problem? Please let me know. The invitational is this Saturday. I am having trouble just doing the practice runs because after each run I end up having to literally take apart the axle and extricate the wingnut from the stopping nut. Thanks!!

A simple fix if you are short on time is to use less batteries to reduce your speed. However, that is dependent on your motor and the amount of batteries you are currently using. You could also try putting a washer in between the nut and wingnut if the battery idea doesn't work.

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » January 23rd, 2019, 7:59 pm

ElGuapo wrote:Need Help Please! My buggy is stopping alright. The Wingnut engages the microswitch and then hits the nut and the vehicle stops. My problem is that the wingnut winds up so hard against the nut at the end that it is becoming literally impossible to extricate it by turning it backwards. Any suggestions what I can possible put in front of the nut at the end so that the wingnut doesn't completely jam into it and sticks like glue. I have tried coiling a wire in front of it but it doesn't help. Anyone have a similar problem? Please let me know. The invitational is this Saturday. I am having trouble just doing the practice runs because after each run I end up having to literally take apart the axle and extricate the wingnut from the stopping nut. Thanks!!

I had the same problem last year, and I found that a spring was very helpful.
MadCow2357's Userpage
#BalsaManForever

ElGuapo

Postby ElGuapo » January 24th, 2019, 6:20 am

MadCow2357 wrote:

Thank you! Do you remember where you bought the spring? Thanks again!

ElGuapo

Postby ElGuapo » January 24th, 2019, 6:21 am

falcon1236912 wrote:

A simple fix if you are short on time is to use less batteries to reduce your speed. However, that is dependent on your motor and the amount of batteries you are currently using. You could also try putting a washer in between the nut and wingnut if the battery idea doesn't work.

Thank you for the suggestions!

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Postby retired1 » January 24th, 2019, 6:58 am

You might want to try using a Teflon washer. In the past, some of the kit makers included a soft thick cloth washer, something like felt.

ElGuapo

Postby ElGuapo » January 24th, 2019, 7:18 am

retired1 wrote:You might want to try using a Teflon washer. In the past, some of the kit makers included a soft thick cloth washer, something like felt.

That's a good idea. Let me check at Home Depot.
Thanks!

MadCow2357

Postby MadCow2357 » January 24th, 2019, 7:21 am

ElGuapo wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:

Thank you! Do you remember where you bought the spring? Thanks again!

I took it off a random switch I had at home. Dunno where you might be able to get the same one, but I'll post it if I find a similar one later.
MadCow2357's Userpage
#BalsaManForever

invisiblebanana
State: MA

Postby invisiblebanana » February 24th, 2019, 8:44 am

I'm trying to make the vehicle as thin as possible, but it's so thin that a fully re-winded wingnut would only allow it to travel about 5 meters. Would you recommend using larger wheels, enlarging the frame width, or something else?
"You can't see me"

InvisibleBanana's Userpage

Return to “Battery Buggy B”