Battery Buggy Wheel Stopping Mechanism

ElGuapo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Battery Buggy Wheel Stopping Mechanism

Post by ElGuapo »

falcon1236912 wrote:
ElGuapo wrote:Need Help Please! My buggy is stopping alright. The Wingnut engages the microswitch and then hits the nut and the vehicle stops. My problem is that the wingnut winds up so hard against the nut at the end that it is becoming literally impossible to extricate it by turning it backwards. Any suggestions what I can possible put in front of the nut at the end so that the wingnut doesn't completely jam into it and sticks like glue. I have tried coiling a wire in front of it but it doesn't help. Anyone have a similar problem? Please let me know. The invitational is this Saturday. I am having trouble just doing the practice runs because after each run I end up having to literally take apart the axle and extricate the wingnut from the stopping nut. Thanks!!
A simple fix if you are short on time is to use less batteries to reduce your speed. However, that is dependent on your motor and the amount of batteries you are currently using. You could also try putting a washer in between the nut and wingnut if the battery idea doesn't work.
Thank you for the suggestions!
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

You might want to try using a Teflon washer. In the past, some of the kit makers included a soft thick cloth washer, something like felt.
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

retired1 wrote:You might want to try using a Teflon washer. In the past, some of the kit makers included a soft thick cloth washer, something like felt.

That's a good idea. Let me check at Home Depot.
Thanks!
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

ElGuapo wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
ElGuapo wrote:Need Help Please! My buggy is stopping alright. The Wingnut engages the microswitch and then hits the nut and the vehicle stops. My problem is that the wingnut winds up so hard against the nut at the end that it is becoming literally impossible to extricate it by turning it backwards. Any suggestions what I can possible put in front of the nut at the end so that the wingnut doesn't completely jam into it and sticks like glue. I have tried coiling a wire in front of it but it doesn't help. Anyone have a similar problem? Please let me know. The invitational is this Saturday. I am having trouble just doing the practice runs because after each run I end up having to literally take apart the axle and extricate the wingnut from the stopping nut. Thanks!!
I had the same problem last year, and I found that a spring was very helpful.
Thank you! Do you remember where you bought the spring? Thanks again!
I took it off a random switch I had at home. Dunno where you might be able to get the same one, but I'll post it if I find a similar one later.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
invisiblebanana
Division: B
State: MA

Post by invisiblebanana »

I'm trying to make the vehicle as thin as possible, but it's so thin that a fully re-winded wingnut would only allow it to travel about 5 meters. Would you recommend using larger wheels, enlarging the frame width, or something else?
"You can't see me"

InvisibleBanana's Userpage

Return to “Battery Buggy B”