Adjusting steering

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
State: -

Adjusting steering

Postby builder83 » October 7th, 2018, 2:13 pm

As a different curve would be needed at 9 meters than 12 to maximize bonus, I assume people will be attempting at adjust steering prior to a run. I have seen some caliper ideas from div c but wondering what other ideas people had to micro adjust their vehicles steering.

Or run it to maximize bonus at 12 meters and set steering there and take a slightly less high bonus score as the distance decreases to 9 meters?

Ummmm
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: October 8th, 2018, 2:29 pm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby Ummmm » October 8th, 2018, 4:05 pm

The caliper steering system is an accurate system for steering that works exceptionally well when adequately mounted and calibrated. If you have the time and resources to do so, it would be a good idea to use a caliper system. However, the section of the rules regarding electronic components (3.f.) does not allow electronic measurement of any kind, excluding a stand-alone calculator, so, most likely, you will have to compromise to a vernier or a dial caliper, instead of a digital one like those used in division C. This leaves more opportunity for human error while setting up the buggy, especially under the stress of competition.

If you built the buggy to only have one steering setting, you could expect to be able to keep up with other teams with adjustable steering at some less competitive invitationals and possibly regionals depending on how competitive your area is. If your team is in a more competitive region, an adjustable steering system would be well worth it.

You should also make sure that whatever system you use, it can be set up quickly enough for two runs in eight minutes.
Last edited by Ummmm on October 8th, 2018, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Results from last year. (Div B)
Battery Buggy: 5th at regionals, 1st at states
Towers: 4th at regionals, 3rd at states

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4042
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby Unome » October 8th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Ummmm wrote:tried and tested

Were calipers even in common use before Bazinga+ popularized them?

(i feel old)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Ummmm
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: October 8th, 2018, 2:29 pm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby Ummmm » October 8th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Unome wrote:
Ummmm wrote:tried and tested

Were calipers even in common use before Bazinga+ popularized them?

(i feel old)


I guess that my choice of words implies longer term use. I'll fix my word choice. However, I have seen quite a bit of experimenting with the concept recently, but I don't know about how extensive the use is in other parts of the country.
Results from last year. (Div B)
Battery Buggy: 5th at regionals, 1st at states
Towers: 4th at regionals, 3rd at states

DarthBuilder
Member
Member
Posts: 283
Joined: August 1st, 2017, 8:02 am
Division: Grad
State: IL

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby DarthBuilder » October 8th, 2018, 6:13 pm

Ummmm wrote:
Unome wrote:
Ummmm wrote:tried and tested

Were calipers even in common use before Bazinga+ popularized them?

(i feel old)


I guess that my choice of words implies longer term use. I'll fix my word choice. However, I have seen quite a bit of experimenting with the concept recently, but I don't know about how extensive the use is in other parts of the country.


Haven’t heard of any calipers near me
Deleted

Srinivas
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: October 8th, 2018, 10:58 am
State: -

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby Srinivas » October 8th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Is this a front or rear axle steering? Any reference documents / links on this caliper steering.

Thanks

DarthBuilder
Member
Member
Posts: 283
Joined: August 1st, 2017, 8:02 am
Division: Grad
State: IL

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby DarthBuilder » October 8th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Srinivas wrote:Is this a front or rear axle steering? Any reference documents / links on this caliper steering.

Thanks



I think front. There’s a few videos on YouTube.
Deleted

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby MadCow2357 » October 8th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Unome wrote:
Ummmm wrote:tried and tested

Were calipers even in common use before Bazinga+ popularized them?

(i feel old)

What a legend... Though I didn't know that he made calipers popular...
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby MadCow2357 » October 8th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Srinivas wrote:Is this a front or rear axle steering? Any reference documents / links on this caliper steering.

Thanks

https://youtu.be/pKC8MYRgflI
No documents exist that are known to me... But this video is really even better than a document. Nestor also answered a few questions in the comments, by the way.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1304
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby windu34 » October 9th, 2018, 10:53 am

Ummmm wrote:so, most likely, you will have to compromise to a vernier or a dial caliper, instead of a digital one like those used in division C. This leaves more opportunity for human error while setting up the buggy, especially under the stress of competition.

Why do you think a dial caliper isnt as effective as a digital one? They have nearly the same precision and accuracy for the most part. The SAE team at my school mainly use dial calipers and from what I understand, they were pretty common in industry before the digital caliper. I disagree with the idea that a dial caliper cant be just as effective as a digital one. The real hard part will be locking the caliper in place, because plastic dial calipers dont have the set screw like the stainless steel digital ones used by most of us in EV
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2020:
UT Austin - Circuit Lab B/C
Solon - Circuit Lab C
Nationals - Circuit Lab C

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4042
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby Unome » October 9th, 2018, 11:24 am

windu34 wrote:
Ummmm wrote:so, most likely, you will have to compromise to a vernier or a dial caliper, instead of a digital one like those used in division C. This leaves more opportunity for human error while setting up the buggy, especially under the stress of competition.

Why do you think a dial caliper isnt as effective as a digital one? They have nearly the same precision and accuracy for the most part. The SAE team at my school mainly use dial calipers and from what I understand, they were pretty common in industry before the digital caliper. I disagree with the idea that a dial caliper cant be just as effective as a digital one. The real hard part will be locking the caliper in place, because plastic dial calipers dont have the set screw like the stainless steel digital ones used by most of us in EV

There exist metal calipers with screws that aren't digital. I would imagine those might work well.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

BryantLi
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: January 18th, 2018, 1:00 pm
State: -

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby BryantLi » February 24th, 2019, 11:45 am

Ummmm wrote:The caliper steering system is an accurate system for steering that works exceptionally well when adequately mounted and calibrated. If you have the time and resources to do so, it would be a good idea to use a caliper system. However, the section of the rules regarding electronic components (3.f.) does not allow electronic measurement of any kind, excluding a stand-alone calculator, so, most likely, you will have to compromise to a vernier or a dial caliper, instead of a digital one like those used in division C. This leaves more opportunity for human error while setting up the buggy, especially under the stress of competition.

If you built the buggy to only have one steering setting, you could expect to be able to keep up with other teams with adjustable steering at some less competitive invitationals and possibly regionals depending on how competitive your area is. If your team is in a more competitive region, an adjustable steering system would be well worth it.

You should also make sure that whatever system you use, it can be set up quickly enough for two runs in eight minutes.
That is pretty interesting. How would you mount the caliper on the chassis? The wheels move in an arc, but the caliper moves linearly. How would that work?

User avatar
invisiblebanana
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: February 21st, 2019, 3:24 pm
Division: B
State: MA
Location: Belmont, MA

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby invisiblebanana » February 24th, 2019, 11:58 am

BryantLi wrote:
Ummmm wrote:The caliper steering system is an accurate system for steering that works exceptionally well when adequately mounted and calibrated. If you have the time and resources to do so, it would be a good idea to use a caliper system. However, the section of the rules regarding electronic components (3.f.) does not allow electronic measurement of any kind, excluding a stand-alone calculator, so, most likely, you will have to compromise to a vernier or a dial caliper, instead of a digital one like those used in division C. This leaves more opportunity for human error while setting up the buggy, especially under the stress of competition.

If you built the buggy to only have one steering setting, you could expect to be able to keep up with other teams with adjustable steering at some less competitive invitationals and possibly regionals depending on how competitive your area is. If your team is in a more competitive region, an adjustable steering system would be well worth it.

You should also make sure that whatever system you use, it can be set up quickly enough for two runs in eight minutes.
That is pretty interesting. How would you mount the caliper on the chassis? The wheels move in an arc, but the caliper moves linearly. How would that work?


You use ball bearing blocks, and attach one of the blocks to the caliper. The caliper basically adjusts the angle of the axle as you move it. I guess you can epoxy the caliper, and you could also drill into it if it's plastic. See the video below for more details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKC8MYRgflI

The caliper essentially moves one of the bearing blocks (which isn't attached to the chassis) while the other bearing block is fixed. This causes the rod to be angled, which turns the vehicle.
"You can't see me"

InvisibleBanana's Userpage

cool hand luke
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: October 4th, 2016, 10:04 am
Division: B
State: TX

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby cool hand luke » March 25th, 2019, 7:52 am

we tried calipers, I'm sure some people get them to work but we didn't and found a much easier way of doing it by changing wheel sizes.

User avatar
invisiblebanana
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: February 21st, 2019, 3:24 pm
Division: B
State: MA
Location: Belmont, MA

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby invisiblebanana » March 25th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Did you use BaneBots? Since that would've been pretty expensive.

I also don't really understand how that would be easier than just turning a knob on a caliper tho
"You can't see me"

InvisibleBanana's Userpage


Return to “Battery Buggy B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest