Adjusting steering

builder83
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Adjusting steering

Post by builder83 »

As a different curve would be needed at 9 meters than 12 to maximize bonus, I assume people will be attempting at adjust steering prior to a run. I have seen some caliper ideas from div c but wondering what other ideas people had to micro adjust their vehicles steering.

Or run it to maximize bonus at 12 meters and set steering there and take a slightly less high bonus score as the distance decreases to 9 meters?
Ummmm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Adjusting steering

Post by Ummmm »

The caliper steering system is an accurate system for steering that works exceptionally well when adequately mounted and calibrated. If you have the time and resources to do so, it would be a good idea to use a caliper system. However, the section of the rules regarding electronic components (3.f.) does not allow electronic measurement of any kind, excluding a stand-alone calculator, so, most likely, you will have to compromise to a vernier or a dial caliper, instead of a digital one like those used in division C. This leaves more opportunity for human error while setting up the buggy, especially under the stress of competition.

If you built the buggy to only have one steering setting, you could expect to be able to keep up with other teams with adjustable steering at some less competitive invitationals and possibly regionals depending on how competitive your area is. If your team is in a more competitive region, an adjustable steering system would be well worth it.

You should also make sure that whatever system you use, it can be set up quickly enough for two runs in eight minutes.
Last edited by Ummmm on October 8th, 2018, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Results from last year. (Div B)
Battery Buggy: 5th at regionals, 1st at states
Towers: 4th at regionals, 3rd at states
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Ummmm wrote:tried and tested
Were calipers even in common use before Bazinga+ popularized them?

(i feel old)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Ummmm
State: PA

Post by Ummmm »

Unome wrote:

(i feel old)
I guess that my choice of words implies longer term use. I'll fix my word choice. However, I have seen quite a bit of experimenting with the concept recently, but I don't know about how extensive the use is in other parts of the country.
Results from last year. (Div B)
Battery Buggy: 5th at regionals, 1st at states
Towers: 4th at regionals, 3rd at states
DarthBuilder
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder »

Ummmm wrote:
Unome wrote:

(i feel old)
I guess that my choice of words implies longer term use. I'll fix my word choice. However, I have seen quite a bit of experimenting with the concept recently, but I don't know about how extensive the use is in other parts of the country.
Haven’t heard of any calipers near me
Deleted
Srinivas

Post by Srinivas »

Is this a front or rear axle steering? Any reference documents / links on this caliper steering.

Thanks
DarthBuilder
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder »

Srinivas wrote:Is this a front or rear axle steering? Any reference documents / links on this caliper steering.

Thanks

I think front. There’s a few videos on YouTube.
Deleted
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Unome wrote:

(i feel old)
What a legend... Though I didn't know that he made calipers popular...
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Srinivas wrote:Is this a front or rear axle steering? Any reference documents / links on this caliper steering.

Thanks
https://youtu.be/pKC8MYRgflI
No documents exist that are known to me... But this video is really even better than a document. Nestor also answered a few questions in the comments, by the way.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Ummmm wrote:so, most likely, you will have to compromise to a vernier or a dial caliper, instead of a digital one like those used in division C. This leaves more opportunity for human error while setting up the buggy, especially under the stress of competition.
Why do you think a dial caliper isnt as effective as a digital one? They have nearly the same precision and accuracy for the most part. The SAE team at my school mainly use dial calipers and from what I understand, they were pretty common in industry before the digital caliper. I disagree with the idea that a dial caliper cant be just as effective as a digital one. The real hard part will be locking the caliper in place, because plastic dial calipers dont have the set screw like the stainless steel digital ones used by most of us in EV
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “Battery Buggy B”