Caliper Steering

Hopelessnewbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Caliper Steering

Post by Hopelessnewbie »

How do I apply a caliper to the EV? Are bearing blocks absolutely necessary, because mine uses a standard wheel and axle format...
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Hopelessnewbie wrote:How do I apply a caliper to the EV? Are bearing blocks absolutely necessary, because mine uses a standard wheel and axle format...
Okkkaayyyyy double post (though it was probably accidental i understand ;) ) and you basically asked the same question in the other forum :roll: ... agh anyways

Since calipers vary in size, there are no universal mounting pieces that can be used. You kinda just have to wing it and make stuff yourself, though I heard mirror mounting brackets will sometimes suffice. Use screws and hex nuts, and try machining brackets out of aluminum.

And for the bearings question I already answered you in the topic you created.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
goscioly

Post by goscioly »

I like to see how a Caliper Steering actually works, does the kit from https://wardsci.com/store/catalog/produ ... 470309-700 have caliper steering? I got most of what need to be built, but caliper steering is something I am not able to get a handle on, I did look at the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKC8MYR ... e=youtu.be and the forum thread on Steering. Any other pointers?
builder83

Post by builder83 »

goscioly wrote:I like to see how a Caliper Steering actually works, does the kit from https://wardsci.com/store/catalog/produ ... 470309-700 have caliper steering? I got most of what need to be built, but caliper steering is something I am not able to get a handle on, I did look at the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKC8MYR ... e=youtu.be and the forum thread on Steering. Any other pointers?
Really doubt the kit comes with caliper steering. I have never seen a kit buggy be competitive either but... it's all about what you do with it I suppose. Lot of guys here use caliper steering so I'll let them chime in on that. Personally I use a bolt adjustment for front axle steering and it works rather easy and I feel lighter and as accurate. Good luck!
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

You might want to consider using a 4-40 bolt and nut for your adjustment as you can get more precision that with a 32 or 24 thread bolt or all thread.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

retired1 wrote:You might want to consider using a 4-40 bolt and nut for your adjustment as you can get more precision that with a 32 or 24 thread bolt or all thread.
Great point! I made that mistake first but I did get a fine thread now. Not sure about the exact number. I have to crank 2 full revolutions of tightening a side down to adjust from a 'smoother' 12 meter turn down to a 'sharper' 9 meter turn.
Hopelessnewbie

Post by Hopelessnewbie »

When it comes to calipers, how do they work? If I find a way to mount it, how exactly am I setting it up? I already checked out Nestor Tchkencho's video, but I am not using bearings for regionals because they haven't come yet and just drilled holes in my chassis for the axles.
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Hopelessnewbie wrote:When it comes to calipers, how do they work? If I find a way to mount it, how exactly am I setting it up? I already checked out Nestor Tchkencho's video, but I am not using bearings for regionals because they haven't come yet and just drilled holes in my chassis for the axles.
I think your first priority should be to somehow reduce friction. If you can run to a nearby home depot or lowes you should try to get bushings for your vehicle, if bearings are not possible.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

For the current event how do you figure out the send in angle of the buggy, and what the angle of the axle should be. Our team is very confused. Please Help!
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:For the current event how do you figure out the send in angle of the buggy, and what the angle of the axle should be. Our team is very confused. Please Help!
Well if you have adjustable steering, you just gotta test it a lot with different configurations. To my knowledge, there is not really a set equation to find the angle you want, and it would depend on the buggy as well.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Battery Buggy B”