Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Caliper Steering

Post by antoine_ego »

MadCow2357 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:Here's a great plastic dial caliper with a lock screw I used for Scrambler. Highly recommend-
https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-278 ... ref=plSrch
First of all, welcome back :) ! I thought you weren't active on the forums anymore... I think I speak for all of us when I say your presence is much needed and appreciated!
Anyways, would the advantage of using a plastic dial caliper be the easiness of drilling it? My partner got a stainless steel one, and so we're not even gonna bother drilling. Wondering if a nice plastic one could be the solution to our problems...
You could try epoxy. I know Bazinga epoxied his caliper to his EV build.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

There is a 9.99 one at the same site that is probably just as good.
For stainless ones, you might look into plastic mirror clamps. Cheap from big box stores.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:Here's a great plastic dial caliper with a lock screw I used for Scrambler. Highly recommend-
First of all, welcome back :) ! I thought you weren't active on the forums anymore... I think I speak for all of us when I say your presence is much needed and appreciated!
Anyways, would the advantage of using a plastic dial caliper be the easiness of drilling it? My partner got a stainless steel one, and so we're not even gonna bother drilling. Wondering if a nice plastic one could be the solution to our problems...
The advantage is in the weight, although drilling followed by nut/bolt and epoxy sounds much better than just epoxy.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
karanbe123
Division: B
State: TX

Post by karanbe123 »

windu34 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
The advantage is in the weight, although drilling followed by nut/bolt and epoxy sounds much better than just epoxy.
I think nut or bolt should be enough although it depends on the initial infrastructure. Accuracy is more important in terms of score, but speed is going to become increasingly important as the year goes on so sometimes weight should also be taken into account.
Beckendorff 2016-2019
Seven Lakes
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

karanbe123 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: First of all, welcome back :) ! I thought you weren't active on the forums anymore... I think I speak for all of us when I say your presence is much needed and appreciated!
I think nut or bolt should be enough although it depends on the initial infrastructure. Accuracy is more important in terms of score, but speed is going to become increasingly important as the year goes on so sometimes weight should also be taken into account.
Having a massive car won't really bother you in terms of speed imo
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

karanbe123 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: First of all, welcome back :) ! I thought you weren't active on the forums anymore... I think I speak for all of us when I say your presence is much needed and appreciated!
Depends on what you think "enough" is. If youre trying to get <2cm accuracy, I would advise adding a layer of epoxy because the smallest shifts that seem microscopic can have compounding effects and mess you up by a couple of cm's. Of course if this is not a concern to you, then you're right, epoxy isnt all that necessary
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Kai0721
Division: B
State: WI

Post by Kai0721 »

I’m assuming digital calipers are not allowed because it is an electric component other than those listed in the rules. Am I correct?
2018-19 Events: Amazing Mechatronic :P , Battery Buggy :D , ELG, :o Density Lab, :)
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Kai0721 wrote:I’m assuming digital calipers are not allowed because it is an electric component other than those listed in the rules. Am I correct?
Yes.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
RishithR

Post by RishithR »

builder83 wrote:Let me know how it goes. I ended up going with a bolt adjustment that was easier imo and accurate. I messed around with a metal caliper but thought it was too heavy. Didn't want to try a plastic one but it might work. I am pretty much to the same problem I had last year with a little skid at 11 plus meters when the car has too much momentum. The curves are cool but I am sticking to a 40cm gap playing it safe for regionals I think. Will have to get some time in a gym to calibrate everything still. Might get crazier than that. I am guessing 20 cm gap will be used at states? Just guessing.

How do you use a plastic caliper to steer the car?
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

pigeon wrote:
builder83 wrote:Let me know how it goes. I ended up going with a bolt adjustment that was easier imo and accurate. I messed around with a metal caliper but thought it was too heavy. Didn't want to try a plastic one but it might work. I am pretty much to the same problem I had last year with a little skid at 11 plus meters when the car has too much momentum. The curves are cool but I am sticking to a 40cm gap playing it safe for regionals I think. Will have to get some time in a gym to calibrate everything still. Might get crazier than that. I am guessing 20 cm gap will be used at states? Just guessing.

How do you use a plastic caliper to steer the car?
Same as a metal caliper.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Battery Buggy B”