Score Discussion

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1304
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Score Discussion

Postby windu34 » October 16th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Nationals Predictions
1.) -36
6.) -28
20.) -12
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2020:
UT Austin - Circuit Lab B/C
Solon - Circuit Lab C
Nationals - Circuit Lab C

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
State: -

Re: Score Discussion

Postby builder83 » October 17th, 2018, 7:26 am

-36 is very achievable with a 20cm gap. I expect there are several teams that will not score also by hitting the tin cans going for the win (like rollercoaster last year going for the biggest jumps). I am getting -10 or better consistantly on our first days of practice so I would hope 20th at nations is better than -12. Accuracy will be more of a challenge this year.

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 387
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Score Discussion

Postby sciolyperson1 » October 17th, 2018, 3:22 pm

windu34 wrote:Nationals Predictions
1.) -36
6.) -28
20.) -12


My predictions:

1.) -32
3.) -28
6.) -24
20.) -10
HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


'17: Scrambler - Towers - Mission
'18: Buggy - Towers - WIDI
'19: Buggy - Roller - Mystery - Boomi
'20: Gravity - Boomi - PPP - Detector? - Wright? - WIDI?

User avatar
John Richardsim
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 730
Joined: February 26th, 2014, 10:54 am
Division: Grad
State: MI
Location: Robinson Twp.

Re: Score Discussion

Postby John Richardsim » January 31st, 2019, 1:35 pm

Scores from the Cobra Invitational:
1. -14.16
2. -12.04
3. 7.72
4. 14.71
5. 24.72
6. 51.57
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4040
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Score Discussion

Postby Unome » March 28th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Top score at GA State was a -21. Dodgen had -6.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

athanzxyt
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: October 27th, 2018, 10:30 am

Re: Score Discussion

Postby athanzxyt » March 29th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Top score in Virginia -25.13.

My predictions for Nats

1.) -38
2.) -32
3.) -29
10.) -16

AugustW
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: April 12th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Re: Score Discussion

Postby AugustW » April 12th, 2019, 8:31 pm

My buggy is getting a score of around -17, with occasional -23 scores. Is this very competitive at North Carolina state tournament?

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 387
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Score Discussion

Postby sciolyperson1 » April 12th, 2019, 8:35 pm

AugustW wrote:My buggy is getting a score of around -17, with occasional -23 scores. Is this very competitive at North Carolina state tournament?


-23 should win NC states. Wouldn't be surprised if a school like Piedmont beat it though.
HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


'17: Scrambler - Towers - Mission
'18: Buggy - Towers - WIDI
'19: Buggy - Roller - Mystery - Boomi
'20: Gravity - Boomi - PPP - Detector? - Wright? - WIDI?

AugustW
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: April 12th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Re: Score Discussion

Postby AugustW » April 12th, 2019, 8:38 pm

My car is getting 4-5 second times and around 8 or less cm off target. My gap is 13 inches, which is a bonus of 33cm. Thanks, is there any way to go to nationals if your school is not going? I do not think so, but I was just wondering. I also think that I did the math right to get a score of -17. If I didn't plz let me know. Thank you. Also, how do you get invited to an invitational?

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Score Discussion

Postby MadCow2357 » April 12th, 2019, 9:07 pm

AugustW wrote:My car is getting 4-5 second times and around 8 or less cm off target. My gap is 13 inches, which is a bonus of 33cm. Thanks, is there any way to go to nationals if your school is not going? I do not think so, but I was just wondering. I also think that I did the math right to get a score of -17. If I didn't plz let me know. Thank you. Also, how do you get invited to an invitational?

Assuming a 4.5 sec time, 8 cm off, and 33 cm bonus, that is negative 26 (good job! :) ). There is no way to compete at nationals if your team didn't win 1st (or 2nd based on your states' number of bids). You don't really get invited to an invitational - an invitational is basically a practice tournament that your team signs up for (extra payment).
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

User avatar
Tendan
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 5:37 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Here

Re: Score Discussion

Postby Tendan » April 15th, 2019, 3:24 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
AugustW wrote:My car is getting 4-5 second times and around 8 or less cm off target. My gap is 13 inches, which is a bonus of 33cm. Thanks, is there any way to go to nationals if your school is not going? I do not think so, but I was just wondering. I also think that I did the math right to get a score of -17. If I didn't plz let me know. Thank you. Also, how do you get invited to an invitational?

Assuming a 4.5 sec time, 8 cm off, and 33 cm bonus, that is negative 26 (good job! :) ). There is no way to compete at nationals if your team didn't win 1st (or 2nd based on your states' number of bids). You don't really get invited to an invitational - an invitational is basically a practice tournament that your team signs up for (extra payment).

August's math would be right. (110-33)*(-0.5)+4.5+8*2 = -18
I think you forgot to multiply distance from target by 2.

Either way, -18 is a great score.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Score Discussion

Postby MadCow2357 » April 15th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Tendan wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
AugustW wrote:My car is getting 4-5 second times and around 8 or less cm off target. My gap is 13 inches, which is a bonus of 33cm. Thanks, is there any way to go to nationals if your school is not going? I do not think so, but I was just wondering. I also think that I did the math right to get a score of -17. If I didn't plz let me know. Thank you. Also, how do you get invited to an invitational?

Assuming a 4.5 sec time, 8 cm off, and 33 cm bonus, that is negative 26 (good job! :) ). There is no way to compete at nationals if your team didn't win 1st (or 2nd based on your states' number of bids). You don't really get invited to an invitational - an invitational is basically a practice tournament that your team signs up for (extra payment).

August's math would be right. (110-33)*(-0.5)+4.5+8*2 = -18
I think you forgot to multiply distance from target by 2.

Either way, -18 is a great score.

Right my bad ;)

Rip my math :(
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

maxbajcz
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: October 15th, 2017, 4:07 pm
State: MI

Re: Score Discussion

Postby maxbajcz » April 29th, 2019, 7:16 am

Just curious to know what the best official scores have been at state competitions. The two Michigan teams that are going to Nats placed 1st and 2nd in BB at States.

waffletree
Member
Member
Posts: 234
Joined: March 28th, 2018, 2:30 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: costco

Re: Score Discussion

Postby waffletree » April 29th, 2019, 7:50 am

PA states:
1. -23.59 (going to nationals)
2. -17.45
3. -10.17
4. 4.49 (going to nationals)
5. 5.15
6. 18.53
hhs
builder cult vp /// #treegang
234.36

jgrischow1
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: March 20th, 2011, 3:21 pm
Division: B
State: OH

Re: Score Discussion

Postby jgrischow1 » April 29th, 2019, 4:54 pm

maxbajcz wrote:Just curious to know what the best official scores have been at state competitions. The two Michigan teams that are going to Nats placed 1st and 2nd in BB at States.


3rd place in Ohio was around -17. 2nd place appeared to be right on with accuracy, with time in the 3-4 range, and with a can bonus of 30-40 cm, but I was just eyeballing. 1st place team I didn't see; they are going to nationals. 8th place also going to nationals; didn't see them.


Return to “Battery Buggy B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest