Sighting/Alignment

tgsrini
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: December 9th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Sighting/Alignment

Postby tgsrini » December 9th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Is use of laser allowed for sighting/targeting during competition?

If allowed, and if it does use AA batteries, can it be separate set batteries outside of the 8 (or less)AA batteries on the buggy?

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 388
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby sciolyperson1 » December 9th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Rule 3.f: "Electric/electronic tools of any sort, except a stand-alone calculator, are prohibited."
So no, you can't use a laser.

Rule 3.e makes it a bit vague though. "All energy for propulsion must be electric and come from the batteries. Any non-propulsive functions (e.g., a braking system) may be powered by either electric or non-electric storage devices. If electrical, the voltage must come from the same batteries being used for propulsion." Does that mean that since lasers are non propulsive, as long as you use AA batteries, its fine?
HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


'17: Scrambler - Towers - Mission
'18: Buggy - Towers - WIDI
'19: Buggy - Roller - Mystery - Boomi
'20: Gravity - Boomi - PPP - Detector? - Wright? - WIDI?

MattChina
Member
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: February 12th, 2017, 8:06 am
Division: B
State: NY
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby MattChina » December 9th, 2018, 5:08 pm

Participants may purchase or make components (e.g., motors, gearboxes, bodies, and chassis).
Electrical components are limited to batteries, wires, motors, switches, resistors, potentiometers, and
mechanical relays. Electric/electronic tools of any sort, except a stand-alone calculator, are
prohibited. I guess ur not allowed to use them since lasers count as electrical components?
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member

builder83
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm
State: -

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby builder83 » December 9th, 2018, 6:44 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:Rule 3.f: "Electric/electronic tools of any sort, except a stand-alone calculator, are prohibited."
So no, you can't use a laser.

Rule 3.e makes it a bit vague though. "All energy for propulsion must be electric and come from the batteries. Any non-propulsive functions (e.g., a braking system) may be powered by either electric or non-electric storage devices. If electrical, the voltage must come from the same batteries being used for propulsion." Does that mean that since lasers are non propulsive, as long as you use AA batteries, its fine?


I always found this rule odd too. What else would the batteries power other than a motor? Is there an electric brake pad system that would work? Put headlights on the front? How about some music as it strolls along for 3 or 4 seconds?

I really think a laser should be allowed as long as you are using 1 of your 8 batteries for it. They try to make this B event harder than EV for high school. It's fun but man the event is complex this year with changing distance, length, and now arc of vehicle with a mechanical scope.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby MadCow2357 » December 9th, 2018, 7:32 pm

I like the idea of playing music during my run... a clarification please? :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

knightmoves
Member
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: April 26th, 2018, 6:40 pm
State: -

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby knightmoves » December 9th, 2018, 8:16 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:I like the idea of playing music during my run... a clarification please? :lol: :lol: :lol: :D


Good luck doing that whilst staying within rule 3f. ;) No semiconductors, remember.

Sciencer101
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 6:58 am
State: -

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby Sciencer101 » December 14th, 2018, 8:49 am

(deleted)
Last edited by Sciencer101 on December 15th, 2018, 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sciencer101
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 6:58 am
State: -

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby Sciencer101 » December 15th, 2018, 6:01 am

tsgrini wrote: Is use of laser allowed for sighting/targeting during competition?

If allowed, and if it does use AA batteries, can it be separate set batteries outside of the 8 (or less)AA batteries on the buggy?


You can use a protractor right? Just measure your angle off of the start line.

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby MadCow2357 » December 15th, 2018, 9:15 am

Sciencer101 wrote:
tsgrini wrote: Is use of laser allowed for sighting/targeting during competition?

If allowed, and if it does use AA batteries, can it be separate set batteries outside of the 8 (or less)AA batteries on the buggy?


You can use a protractor right? Just measure your angle off of the start line.

Yes, you may use a protractor.
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

Almandine2
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby Almandine2 » December 15th, 2018, 1:32 pm

The trick is to make a 90 degree angle with your hands and try to get it as close as possible. Try this and you will win state and nationals.
Herpetology, ALWAYS HERPETOLOGY

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 388
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby sciolyperson1 » December 15th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Almandine2 wrote:The trick is to make a 90 degree angle with your hands and try to get it as close as possible. Try this and you will win state and nationals.


Won states last year, can confirm this is 100% true. I found that my hands formed better 90° angles than my partner's, his hands were always 0.55° less.
HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


'17: Scrambler - Towers - Mission
'18: Buggy - Towers - WIDI
'19: Buggy - Roller - Mystery - Boomi
'20: Gravity - Boomi - PPP - Detector? - Wright? - WIDI?

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby MadCow2357 » December 15th, 2018, 1:52 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:
Almandine2 wrote:The trick is to make a 90 degree angle with your hands and try to get it as close as possible. Try this and you will win state and nationals.


Won states last year, can confirm this is 100% true. I found that my hands formed better 90° angles than my partner's, his hands were always 0.55° less.

Are you joking? And also this person has trolled our forum before, I think...
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

User avatar
sciolyperson1
Member
Member
Posts: 388
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby sciolyperson1 » December 15th, 2018, 5:16 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
Almandine2 wrote:The trick is to make a 90 degree angle with your hands and try to get it as close as possible. Try this and you will win state and nationals.


Won states last year, can confirm this is 100% true. I found that my hands formed better 90° angles than my partner's, his hands were always 0.55° less.

Are you joking? And also this person has trolled our forum before, I think...


It's a joke.....

And no, afaik I haven't trolled this forum unless I made a different joke, and you thought that I was trolling.
HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17


'17: Scrambler - Towers - Mission
'18: Buggy - Towers - WIDI
'19: Buggy - Roller - Mystery - Boomi
'20: Gravity - Boomi - PPP - Detector? - Wright? - WIDI?

User avatar
MadCow2357
Member
Member
Posts: 583
Joined: November 19th, 2017, 9:09 am
Division: C
State: RI
Location: Stark Industries Internship
Contact:

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby MadCow2357 » December 15th, 2018, 7:53 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:Won states last year, can confirm this is 100% true. I found that my hands formed better 90° angles than my partner's, his hands were always 0.55° less.
Are you joking? And also this person has trolled our forum before, I think...
It's a joke.... And no, afaik I haven't trolled this forum unless I made a different joke, and you thought that I was trolling.

I wasn't talking about you, i was talking about Almandine2. I think Almandine trolled Towers and BB last year on his previous account.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle
Considering: Fossils, Machines, Sounds of Music, Wright Stuff
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
234.36
#BalsaManForever

M017
Member
Member
Posts: 61
Joined: April 1st, 2017, 1:03 pm
Division: B
State: NE

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Postby M017 » December 16th, 2018, 1:17 pm

I was planning on making a rifle scope holder to the top of my buggy and sight the crosshairs on the inside side of the outer bonus can. Then I could just make my car go a little to the right of the can


Return to “Battery Buggy B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest