Sighting/Alignment

LittleMissNyan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Sighting/Alignment

Post by LittleMissNyan »

Not sure if there's a thing somewhere about this, but how would you use a scope to align the buggy? Is it for going straight or something?
Sassies 146 and 160 🥖 🔪
Eagle Scout
bUiLdEr cULt
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by retired1 »

The last time that I mentored an event like this we set up an offset or aim target that would accommodate the required curve. We kept a careful log of the required turns for the wingnut brake as well as the flag offset. They started with some gross settings (distances) As there was more time, smaller intervals were added. Put what you have on an Excel spread sheet and you can make some educated guesses for other distances that the ES might use which you might not have enough time to make runs on .By knowing where to put your aim flag the scope is an accurate method of aiming. Note that ir requires a rather rigid and repeatable mounting system. Since we had not mastered the mount, we used 2 finishing nails like you would use on a cheap rifle.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

LittleMissNyan wrote:Not sure if there's a thing somewhere about this, but how would you use a scope to align the buggy? Is it for going straight or something?
You need to start by pointing your buggy in a known direction, so you can end up in the right spot ("going straight", even if your buggy is built to curve.) There are several ways you can choose to do this alignment, but one way is to clamp a scope on some defined axis on your buggy, and look through it to sight an alignment target that you place by the finish line. Line the scope up with the target, and you have the buggy pointing in the right direction.
M017
Division: B
State: NE
Has thanked: 0

Post by M017 »

builder83 wrote:
invisiblebanana wrote:Ok, thanks :)

Are you planning to use a rifle scope in your buggy?

If so, are you planning to do the thing that you mentioned?
Scope? Of course.

4 feet off the ground? Naw... I gota get down on the ground. But I'd like to see it!
Last year at nats I had to lay down on the ground like a sniper to sight in my buggy :D

Return to “Battery Buggy B”