Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Counting Rotations

Post by MadCow2357 »

LittleMissNyan wrote:
invisiblebanana wrote:
waffletree wrote: LMN already suggested this method. It's not allowed at competition, but you can do it before competition
Does that work reliably? @MadCow2357 mentioned that other factors could cause the result from rolling the vehicle to be inaccurate.
MadCow2357 wrote:Just to name a few: skidding (big), wheel slippage, oversteer, understeer, drifting
*shrug* It works pretty well for our buggy, it depends on how your buggy works
Like LMN said, it depends. If you are just testing your buggy out, and getting a general idea of how many rotations it needs to travel between 9 and 12 meters, this is fine. Totally works. However, I wouldn't use the data from this to set your brakes for competition - it doesn't account for the other factors I mentioned, and it is better to test for the individual distances separately. Makes sense?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
LittleMissNyan wrote:
invisiblebanana wrote:
Does that work reliably? @MadCow2357 mentioned that other factors could cause the result from rolling the vehicle to be inaccurate.
*shrug* It works pretty well for our buggy, it depends on how your buggy works
Like LMN said, it depends. If you are just testing your buggy out, and getting a general idea of how many rotations it needs to travel between 9 and 12 meters, this is fine. Totally works. However, I wouldn't use the data from this to set your brakes for competition - it doesn't account for the other factors I mentioned, and it is better to test for the individual distances separately. Makes sense?

In my experience, I suggest you to just test it. Once you finish your vehicle, start testing it: start my winding it only a little, then wind more and more until your desired length. Once you know, let's say, 50 winds is approximately 12 meters, you can calibrate your car more accurately from there.

Using the data you get from that, you can start testing other distances: 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5.
MadCow2357 wrote:Just to name a few: skidding (big), wheel slippage, oversteer, understeer, drifting
Skidding is the same thing as where slippage, and drifting is an effect of uneven wheel slippage on either side of the car. So really the only factors there are are skid and in what curve/line you push back in (steering or curvature)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
Skidding is the same thing as where slippage, and drifting is an effect of uneven wheel slippage on either side of the car. So really the only factors there are are skid and in what curve/line you push back in (steering or curvature)
Completely true - however, it is sometimes easier to understand when wheel slippage is put into different categories. I was implying:
1. Skidding as in wheel slippage during braking, due to the inertial force overcoming the braking force (I may have messed up a bit on the vocabulary there)
2. Wheel slippage as in the wheels not totally gripping the track at the very beginning. This sometimes occurs, even with high-traction wheels, especially when the floor is dustier. This caused my buggy to wildly veer to the side last year during states, which cost me a medal.
3. Drifting as in the vehicle traveling towards the side for various, unintentional reasons.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
Completely true - however, it is sometimes easier to understand when wheel slippage is put into different categories. I was implying:
1. Skidding as in wheel slippage during braking, due to the inertial force overcoming the braking force (I may have messed up a bit on the vocabulary there)
2. Wheel slippage as in the wheels not totally gripping the track at the very beginning. This sometimes occurs, even with high-traction wheels, especially when the floor is dustier. This caused my buggy to wildly veer to the side last year during states, which cost me a medal.
3. Drifting as in the vehicle traveling towards the side for various, unintentional reasons.

Lmao what do you mean by "unintentional reasons", theres always a reason. Whether it be unequal weight distribution, unequal skidding, or tilted floor, these factors lead to having one far having more traction and the other having less.

Buggy is all about finding the source of all your problems (skidding, winding, angling, drifting). If you know what the source of the problem is, then you can accurately predict how your buggy will move, and therefore become better. Saying something has "various reasons" completely disregards that fact, and if you never find a source of your drifting problems, you'll likely never do well at comp.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by MadCow2357 »

sciolyperson1 wrote: Lmao what do you mean by "unintentional reasons", theres always a reason. Whether it be unequal weight distribution, unequal skidding, or tilted floor, these factors lead to having one far having more traction and the other having less.

Buggy is all about finding the source of all your problems (skidding, winding, angling, drifting). If you know what the source of the problem is, then you can accurately predict how your buggy will move, and therefore become better. Saying something has "various reasons" completely disregards that fact, and if you never find a source of your drifting problems, you'll likely never do well at comp.
Dude, I never said there wasn't a reason...

Usage of "various reasons": I am fully aware of those factors you mentioned, and I am not disregarding the fact that buggy is about finding and solving those problems. I simply said "various" to save time. I don't believe I have an obligation to explain every reason in detail, I just wanted to clarify that there were many reasons why a buggy could be drifting.

Now to address "unintentional reasons": I was referring to how non-foreseen factors can always mess you up at competition. Obviously, you want every condition to be just right for you, but stuff always comes up whether you like it or not - hence the "unintentional".
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “Battery Buggy B”