Funding

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Funding

Post by MadCow2357 »

As you know, Build Events can be particularly expensive. Especially Battery Buggy, or literally any other vehicle event. I've been tallying up my purchases this year, and well... let's just say that it's pretty darn high. I'm looking into making my own wheels - I know stupid me, since literally every expert has been warning me not to - but I have my reasons. Anyways, the cost of a pint of the material is $28. Ain't gonna work, I'm already way over budget.

I've been thinking of getting sponsors for a while, but not really sure how - I've contemplated going to a store like Home Depot or pigeon's Sporting Goods and showing my existing buggy to them, then asking for discounts or free parts in return for a "sponsor sticker" on the buggy. My coaches and team mates have laughed when I proposed this - but I'm seriously considering doing this. Also, how would you ask for a discount to a product online? Like in the case of certain materials, the companies don't post their prices - you need to contact them separately, which implies they might only take bulk order. Any people have experience in sponsorships?

I'd also appreciate some ideas on how to get funding in general.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Funding

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Generally speaking, that's not how sponsoring works. It usually works the other way around where if teams are good enough companies will come to you to give you parts, money, etc. For example, we get motors offered to us from a company (not sure which one) also we get free batteries from a local battery company a few minutes from a school. Otherwise, if you are looking for sponsors look local as they will most likely be more willing to help the school, and they will be more lenient overall, as they are a small corporation. If nothing works just try looking for parts of Ebay or ask people to "borrow" supplies (usually works for our team is we need an expensive part).
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
Chameleon02
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Chameleon02 »

As a fellow builder, I can understand your struggles. milk the resources at your local school as much as you can, for example, I have gained access to 3-D printers, the wood shop, and all the chemistry materials I need, and I know its possible to get circuitry as well from our school. I also get reimbursed by the district for things such as my wright stuff kit so that's pretty nice. Try your local high school? Good luck, I hope you figure it out, because it would suck for you to go this far and then get limited by cost.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Chameleon02 wrote:As a fellow builder, I can understand your struggles. milk the resources at your local school as much as you can, for example, I have gained access to 3-D printers, the wood shop, and all the chemistry materials I need, and I know its possible to get circuitry as well from our school. I also get reimbursed by the district for things such as my wright stuff kit so that's pretty nice. Try your local high school? Good luck, I hope you figure it out, because it would suck for you to go this far and then get limited by cost.
Ha I've been milking the high school for resources and help for a while now. I'm at the high school for scio more than the high schoolers.

When you get reimbursed, do you get to keep the materials? According to our admin, the school will only consider reimbursing us for stuff they get to keep in the end... a sore spot since I do not plan on letting the school keep the battery buggies I have built. It's my hard work, sweat, and blood. Ain't gonna let it sit in a random closet till some dude either throws it away or trashes it. Balsa I plan on getting reimbursed for, since it's kind of a consumable item. Not like the school gains anything by keeping the extra balsa, because I can just buy more.
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote:Generally speaking, that's not how sponsoring works. It usually works the other way around where if teams are good enough companies will come to you to give you parts, money, etc. For example, we get motors offered to us from a company (not sure which one) also we get free batteries from a local battery company a few minutes from a school. Otherwise, if you are looking for sponsors look local as they will most likely be more willing to help the school, and they will be more lenient overall, as they are a small corporation. If nothing works just try looking for parts of Ebay or ask people to "borrow" supplies (usually works for our team is we need an expensive part).
People here don't care much about science or academics in general, so it's a bit tough to find willing sponsors, especially sponsors that can help us by supplying parts and materials. Would you willing to share what company offers you motors?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
builder83

Post by builder83 »

My coach buys us whatever we want within reason. Our team has outside of school sponsors we wear on the back of our team shirts.
invisiblebanana
Division: B
State: MA

Post by invisiblebanana »

How much do your vehicles cost? Mine's at about $150 right now
"You can't see me"

InvisibleBanana's Userpage
Sarvesh30

Post by Sarvesh30 »

What school is Dank Memes Area High School?
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

Sarvesh30 wrote:What school is Dank Memes Area High School?
They got 1st at nationals last year, 1st in states in FL this year. Very strong and competitive high school.
MattChina
Division: B
State: NY

Post by MattChina »

Killboe wrote:
They got 1st at nationals last year, 1st in states in FL this year. Very strong and competitive high school.
No they got first at cornell.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

MattChina wrote:
Killboe wrote:
No they got first at cornell.
They got 1st everywhere.

Return to “Battery Buggy B”