States

OhioRockstar
Division: B
State: OH

Re: States

Postby OhioRockstar » March 26th, 2019, 11:34 am

We got 1st at States but it was close. We had a 12 cm gate. We had a time of 1.9 and got 0.3 cm from point. So thats a score of -46.5
Ohio states didn't happen yet.

Im from the future

invisiblebanana
State: MA

Postby invisiblebanana » March 26th, 2019, 12:38 pm

They either have a godly buggy or they got reallly lucky. Idk, maybe its a troll
Its bs lol
1.9 seconds is faster than my run at nats (2.086, fastest run at nats last year)
while it is bs its probably possible even with dc motors
I mean, you can buy a 3000 rpm dc motor, and use an absurdly high gear ratio and make it have less than a 1 second speed.

Although most people don't do that since it lowers the accuracy by a lot.
"You can't see me"

InvisibleBanana's Userpage

shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Postby shrewdPanther46 » March 26th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Its bs lol
1.9 seconds is faster than my run at nats (2.086, fastest run at nats last year)
I mean, you can buy a 3000 rpm dc motor, and use an absurdly high gear ratio and make it have less than a 1 second speed.

ever heard of torque?

OhioRockstar
State: OH

Postby OhioRockstar » March 26th, 2019, 6:56 pm

ever heard of torque?
yeah, you probably would have to make the buggy super light, like literally balsa chasis

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Postby windu34 » March 27th, 2019, 6:46 pm

ever heard of torque?
yeah, you probably would have to make the buggy super light, like literally balsa chasis
<1.9 s is definitely possible, and not necessarily at the loss of accuracy. The national EV champion in 2016 had 1.6 seconds with perfect accuracy and was not the fastest device at the tournament. Although they used brushless motors, I think 1.9 is possible with brushed. That said, I agree its unlikely.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » March 31st, 2019, 11:46 am

1st at RI State Competition :D :D

Caliper acted up again :roll: (pro tip don't ever use a harbor freight caliper :evil: ), steering was way off. The buggy traveled in a straight line, but it was angled for a nice bonus, so it hit the wall... both runs... my caliper setting was right, but it just didn't work idk why...

Anyways 1st run when it bounced off the wall somehow it ended up 18 cm from the point, and 2nd run was 26 cm off. Definitely could have been better with two regular runs, but still got the dub lol.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff
Considering: Machines, Sounds of Music, Ping-Pong Parachute, Fossils
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
Gallagher Middle School '19
Barrington High School '23
#BalsaManForever

drcubbin
State: NY

Postby drcubbin » March 31st, 2019, 11:54 am

Caliper acted up again :roll: (pro tip don't ever use a harbor freight caliper :evil: ), steering was way off. The buggy traveled in a straight line, but it was angled for a nice bonus, so it hit the wall... both runs... my caliper setting was right, but it just didn't work idk why...

Anyways 1st run when it bounced off the wall somehow it ended up 18 cm from the point, and 2nd run was 26 cm off. Definitely could have been better with two regular runs, but still got the dub lol.
Wow! With that kind of luck, I would definitely buy a PowerBall ticket tonight! Congratulations and thanks for the word on the Harbor Freight caliper. We were thinking about switching to caliper steering over what we are using, but too much involved and not enough time to gather accurate data before 4/6 this weekend.

sciolyperson1

Postby sciolyperson1 » March 31st, 2019, 3:31 pm

Wow! With that kind of luck, I would definitely buy a PowerBall ticket tonight! Congratulations and thanks for the word on the Harbor Freight caliper. We were thinking about switching to caliper steering over what we are using, but too much involved and not enough time to gather accurate data before 4/6 this weekend.
Congrats!!
What part of the caliper acted up? Just curious.
WW-P HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP? - Detector? - Wright?

Rate my tests!

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » March 31st, 2019, 8:28 pm

Congrats!!
Thanks! I used this caliper:
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-dial ... 63730.html
So every rotation of the dial is supposed to be 1/10 of an inch, iirc, but that's clearly not happening according to the scale intervals on the caliper itself. For example when it is measuring 1.56 inches, the dial might read 1.59 or 1.51. Actually it's way worse than that, but it's just hard to explain how bad it is. I was showing the local high schoolers how caliper steering worked, and doing that could have messed up the readings? Doesn't make sense lol. Also the "durable plastic case" has split in half...
MadCow2357's Userpage
Projected 2020 Events: Boomilever, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff
Considering: Machines, Sounds of Music, Ping-Pong Parachute, Fossils
Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
Gallagher Middle School '19
Barrington High School '23
#BalsaManForever

sciolyperson1

Postby sciolyperson1 » March 31st, 2019, 8:34 pm

Congrats!!
Thanks! I used this caliper:
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-dial ... 63730.html
So every rotation of the dial is supposed to be 1/10 of an inch, iirc, but that's clearly not happening according to the scale intervals on the caliper itself. For example when it is measuring 1.56 inches, the dial might read 1.59 or 1.51. Actually it's way worse than that, but it's just hard to explain how bad it is. I was showing the local high schoolers how caliper steering worked, and doing that could have messed up the readings? Doesn't make sense lol. Also the "durable plastic case" has split in half...
I don't think calipers would be usually inaccurate, I'd think it's just wear overtime. Considering the stopping of the car puts a lot of stress on the tooths of the caliper, it wouldn't surprise me if a few wore down or broke.
Are the teeth plastic or metal?
WW-P HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP? - Detector? - Wright?

Rate my tests!

Return to “Battery Buggy B”