Scores Discussion

fifty_missions
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0

Re: Scores Discussion

Post by fifty_missions »

Yes, TJMS and ...heading to Cornell.

They did win ELG at the State Competition yesterday. Their score was 128 (first place) and second place was 84. In fact, their overall team score for the day was 51 points. The Gliders weighed in at 4.1 grams. IU claimed the ceiling height is 65'.

Sadly our flier was scared he would hit a catwalk so backed-off on his launches. We estimated about 45' high was his max launch apex with flights of 5 sec, 31.9 sec, 31.9 sec, 37.0 sec and 31.60 seconds. Their score with bonuses was 121.48.
First Place (TJ)-121.48
Second Place- 84.24
Third Place- 74.04
Fourth- 68.73
Fifth- 64.57

Only TJMS was able to take advantage of the height. As anticipated (and trained for), the glider orbited left but, due to the higher height, was launched vertically with right bank and did the slow corkscrew roll left with smooth transitions on 4 flights. Others teams attempted "high" launches but none could muster a clean transition.

I flew my own version of the same glider and best flight was 48 seconds. Always room for improvement. Not knowing what the Cornell site will be, TJ will have glider designs prepared to build for Cat I, Cat II or Cat III ceilings.

Most other teams flights were under 10 seconds per flight.

No current kit planes were in the top ten.

Good Luck,
50 Missions
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

50-m:

I think you have the right idea. Need to have models for any ceiling situation ready to go. There won't be time after the room announcement to perfect an all new design.

We were able to average 20 seconds for our best 3 flights at State (NM), under a 24' ceiling. We obviously have a long way to go for Nationals. We have already built our next prototype (Cat 1), and we are planning a build next week for high ceiling gliders, which we will test in Eager AZ at the April AMA contest (100' ceiling).

If they were to select a high ceiling, many schools will not be competitive because of the lack of availability of suitable facilities for testing. Therefore I am hoping for something that is size-compatible with school gyms, such as 25-30 feet.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
Mwang12324161
Division: B
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mwang12324161 »

builderguy135 wrote:What times have everyone been getting recently?
25-26 seconds in a 33 foot gym. 33 feet is the very top, the highest you can go without getting stuck on something is about 28-29 feet. At nationals in Cornell I got consistent 24-25 second flights for all of the flights
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

Mwang12324161 wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:What times have everyone been getting recently?
25-26 seconds in a 33 foot gym. 33 feet is the very top, the highest you can go without getting stuck on something is about 28-29 feet. At nationals in Cornell I got consistent 24-25 second flights for all of the flights
I asked this in February, lol
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

Return to “Elastic Launched Gliders B”