Launcher

prd06
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Launcher

Post by prd06 »

I have created the glider, and I had some questions about the launcher.
What rubber band thickness should I be using?
Should you have 2 layers of rubber? (so you would have 1 loop, but then you would fold it back so you would have half the length and 2 loops)
Can I make the launcher out of balsa wood, or do you recommend that I buy one?

Thanks in advance.
bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Launcher

Post by bjt4888 »

Prod,

The teams I coach use a simple 6” long 1/4” diameter wood dowel and a single 6” loop of 1/16” tan super sport rubber.

We slit the top of the dowel about 1/4” with a razor saw, wrap the rubber tightly around the top once and stretch it to force into the slit.

With practice, you should be able to accurately launch your glider at the correct inclination angle and bank angle with this simple launcher.

Other teams I have watched do use more complex and larger devices that actually measure the inclination angle, and possibly the bank angle.

Brian T
AMA since 1968
fifty_missions
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Launcher

Post by fifty_missions »

Cautions on launching.

1) If you are right-handed and the glider flies left, launch the glider with your right hand holding the launcher stick and launch lefty. Converse is true as well. This is critical for low ceiling launches. Higher ceilings ( Cat II- Cat IV) may require reversing this method allowing the glider to launch in a parabolic path one direction to gain height but reverse its orbit after transition. This is a function of speed having an effect on the various angles of trim on the flying surfaces.

2) Be sure to keep the launcher perpendicular to the fuselage and stabilizer. We see many gliders damaged when the glider is banked to launch but the stick angle is not equally "banked". There is now a slight "twist" in the rubber and the glider follow that slight twist to strike the launcher as it passes over.

3) Hold the launcher and glider away from your face and body. Every year we see a glider damaged because a body part was in the launch line. Other than the surprised look from the launch-ee, the glider usually has catastrophic wing leading edge damage.

4) Apply notes to the top of the wings once the glider is trimmed. This info should assure that the flier knows the glider orbits left or right, needs to be banked left or right on launch, and angle of attack on launch. NO ONE IS JUDGED by the gliders "appearance". Get the needed data where it can be seen.

Good Luck,
50 Missions

Return to “Elastic Launched Gliders B”