materials

ZongleYang
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

materials

Post by ZongleYang »

Is foam gliders better then a wood glider in weight but does it stay afloat longer?
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: materials

Post by builderguy135 »

Design and quality of the plane matters soooo much more than the material you use. Also, read the previous year's glider threads please... all of the information is probably on there too.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
isotelus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by isotelus »

builderguy135 wrote:Design and quality of the plane matters soooo much more than the material you use. Also, read the previous year's glider threads please... all of the information is probably on there too.
Well, not necessarily. Wood is usually the main part of gliders, to prevent stall from lighter gliders made out of foam or paper or similar materials. Foam could be used to increase the surface area of the wing or something similar, but unless you have a good way to counteract stall, I would not suggest building with a relatively large amount of foam.
Last edited by isotelus on January 16th, 2019, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SLHS '23
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

isotelus wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:Design and quality of the plane matters soooo much more than the material you use. Also, read the previous year's glider threads please... all of the information is probably on there too.
Well, not necessarily. Wood is usually the main part of gliders, to prevent stall from lighter gliders made out of foam or paper or similar materials. Foam could be used to increase the surface area of the wing or something similar, but unless you have a good way to counteract this, I would not suggest building with a relatively large amount of foam.
Foam obviously has its pros and cons but you don't need it to do well in glider.
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
muhammad123
Division: B

Post by muhammad123 »

I would mostly use balsa wood and maybe a bit of foam to increase surface area
muhammad123
Division: B

Post by muhammad123 »

An all foam glider would be a disaster. :!:
isotelus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by isotelus »

builderguy135 wrote:
isotelus wrote:
Well, not necessarily. Wood is usually the main part of gliders, to prevent stall from lighter gliders made out of foam or paper or similar materials. Foam could be used to increase the surface area of the wing or something similar, but unless you have a good way to counteract this, I would not suggest building with a relatively large amount of foam.
Foam obviously has its pros and cons but you don't need it to do well in glider.
Yeah, of course. This goes for pretty much any non-wood material- does anyone on here know of a successful glider that was primarily non-wood? I would be interested to know how that would work.
SLHS '23
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

isotelus wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:
isotelus wrote: Well, not necessarily. Wood is usually the main part of gliders, to prevent stall from lighter gliders made out of foam or paper or similar materials. Foam could be used to increase the surface area of the wing or something similar, but unless you have a good way to counteract this, I would not suggest building with a relatively large amount of foam.
Yeah, of course. This goes for pretty much any non-wood material- does anyone on here know of a successful glider that was primarily non-wood? I would be interested to know how that would work.
I made a modified Protege design for Rustin and it worked quite well. I broke it a few days before so I used a simpler wood glider tho :\
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
ojjacob

Post by ojjacob »

Can you use cardboard? Would it fall under "paper"?
EmilyCastillo
Coach
Coach

Post by EmilyCastillo »

Yes we have the same question. Is cardboard allowed since it is technically paper?
I submitted a question on the official website, but I don't think they'll answer it, since it's about materials.

Return to “Elastic Launched Gliders B”