Event Supervision

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Event Supervision

Post by jander14indoor »

Many of you may know, I'm an engineer, so when I event supervise I use go/nogo gages to quickly check planes against the rules. Since I got my 3D printer a couple of years back, I've switched from balsa and foam to 3D printed.

I've been asked to share the files in the past, finally figured out Thingiverse this year, so to anyone who wants to use them, go here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3433237

Of course check them for yourself, they come out accurately on my system, no guarantees anyplace else.

And for students, if you have access to a printer, an easy way to check your planes before a competition. You might want to edit the critical dimensions to just UNDER the rules by a mm or so to make sure you aren't tiered at a competition.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Event Supervision

Post by bjt4888 »

Jeff,

Thanks very much for all the work developing and for sharing. I’m not into the 3D printing yet, but maybe this will be my motivation to start. I supervise a couple Lansing area Invitationals.

Thanks,

Brian T
fifty_missions
Division: C
State: IN

Post by fifty_missions »

Jeff,

Wonderful! The newest Freedom Flight WS model is being built consistently oversized this season with a wingspan at least 3 mm over this year. Teams generally do not go to the extent of crafting a current go-no-go gauge and I doubt they actually check the spans. It might be that they are just thrilled get get the model finished. We have had to warn over 25 teams that their wingspans do not meet spec during the regional competitions this season. We allow them an opportunity to correct the issue before competing and getting tiered for a construction violation. This is as big a headache for the officials as it is for teams.

It would be nice to have them properly inspect their models before they even fly them to correct the obvious spec issues. Thanks for sharing the gauge design!

50 Missions
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

jander14indoor wrote:And for students, if you have access to a printer, an easy way to check your planes before a competition. You might want to edit the critical dimensions to just UNDER the rules by a mm or so to make sure you aren't tiered at a competition.
Just to emphasize that point, I'll be tacky and quote myself. Competitors, MAKE SURE YOUR PLANE IS UNDER the rule dimensions. I'm not saying a lot, but being tiered or having to tear up your plane at the last minute isn't worth that last millimeter of span or chord!!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “Elastic Launched Gliders B”