PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

TheChiScientist
Division: C
State: IL

Re: PICTURES, SCORES, VIDEOS!!

Postby TheChiScientist » March 11th, 2019, 6:28 pm

sciencecat42 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:1. Well if varies but best boom designs to use are compression boxes.

Thanks, that is nice to know. I've been building a few compression box designs but none have reached 1000 yet. Guess I'll keep building them.

If any design is going to consistently break 2000+ it will be the compression box. I speak from experience.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - Now
Medal Count:29 8-)
Current Events
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design

Background In
Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Ecology, Fermi

School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

sciencecat42
State: -

Postby sciencecat42 » March 11th, 2019, 6:32 pm

TheChiScientist wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:1. Well if varies but best boom designs to use are compression boxes.

Thanks, that is nice to know. I've been building a few compression box designs but none have reached 1000 yet. Guess I'll keep building them.

If any design is going to consistently break 2000+ it will be the compression box. I speak from experience.

Haha congrats. Can't wait til I build one that good as well. Although I may have to build a new testing apparatus first, since the one our team has managed to bend before the boomilever, which probably lowered our score for some test designs.

Cow481
Division: B
State: PA

Postby Cow481 » March 11th, 2019, 6:43 pm

sciencecat42 wrote:

What are compression box designs? Are they like the chimneys from last years towers where it is 4 main sticks and bracings? Also, i think the standard design is the best, but i don’t think the compression part of a boomilever is as important as the distal end, base, and bracings that connect the compression and tension members. I have never had any trouble with the compression members and have been getting over 1500 consistently.
2017 Events: JV Tower, JV Bottle Rocket
2018 Events: V Tower, V Mystery Architecture, JV Herpetology
2019 Events: V Boomilever, V Elastic Launched Glider, V Mystery Architecture

Medals
Invitationals: 8
Regionals: 2
States: 1
Nationals: 1 :D

Dank Memes Area Homeschool A Boomilever Builder

TheChiScientist
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » March 11th, 2019, 6:44 pm

sciencecat42 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
sciencecat42 wrote:

Haha congrats. Can't wait til I build one that good as well. Although I may have to build a new testing apparatus first, since the one our team has managed to bend before the boomilever, which probably lowered our score for some test designs.

LOL. Yea... Reminds me of the bootleg boom setup UChicago had and then some boom had the bucket touch the ground and they had to figure out how to set it up again to hold the whole load.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - Now
Medal Count:29 8-)
Current Events
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design

Background In
Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Ecology, Fermi

School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

Dreamz
State: OH

Postby Dreamz » March 11th, 2019, 6:48 pm

I saw this really interesting design at a competition recently. Seemed like they created a literal, solid "box" using some sheet wood and two balsa sticks. Might have been a crude "U" shaped design too. Won first by a ton. No clue what the score was, but it held all the weight and definitely got above 1500.

Also, your compression boxes don't have square cross sections right? Something like 4cm wide and 2cm tall seems more feasible IMO

Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Raleway » March 12th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Top score at NJ state competition today was 1.7k I heard
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman

sciolyperson1
State: NJ

Postby sciolyperson1 » March 12th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Raleway wrote:Top score at NJ state competition today was 1.7k I heard

Im assuming Div C?

Edit: the loading blocks used at NJ states were whack - the J-hooks at the end of the loading block were twisted. There were also issues with extra washers and whatnot on the block. :?:
Community MS (NJ) Captain
Events
Roller - Mystery - Boomi - Buggy

Team:
LISO - 1st
Rustin - 1st
Regionals - 1st
Garnet - 1st
Cornell - 1st
States - 1st
Nats - ?

Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Raleway » March 12th, 2019, 8:21 pm

sciolyperson1 wrote:

Im assuming Div C?

Edit: the loading blocks used at NJ states were whack - the J-hooks at the end of the loading block were twisted. There were also issues with extra washers and whatnot on the block. :?:

Yes, Division C
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

masterWIZ

Postby masterWIZ » March 14th, 2019, 5:36 am

I am surprised to see a 1.7k coming from Montgomery. I definitely thought that WWPS had a strong design and would win (based off of their placement at SOUP, maybe a 1.75 or 1.8k). Montgomery was on the lower side throughout the season. They got top 6 at MIT and second at Princeton, but those were probably relatively lower scores (maybe 1.2-1.3k).
Mr. Builder :) :)

sciolyperson1

Postby sciolyperson1 » March 14th, 2019, 7:52 am

masterWIZ wrote:

I am surprised to see a 1.7k coming from Montgomery. I definitely thought that WWPS had a strong design and would win (based off of their placement at SOUP, maybe a 1.75 or 1.8k). Montgomery was on the lower side throughout the season. They got top 6 at MIT and second at Princeton, but those were probably relatively lower scores (maybe 1.2-1.3k).

There were problems with the loading block in div b and c, so their scores may have been even higher if not for the issue.

Anyone know what 2nd for div b got at nj states?
Community MS (NJ) Captain
Events
Roller - Mystery - Boomi - Buggy

Team:
LISO - 1st
Rustin - 1st
Regionals - 1st
Garnet - 1st
Cornell - 1st
States - 1st
Nats - ?

awildbeast

Postby awildbeast » March 14th, 2019, 10:06 am

sciolyperson1 wrote:
masterWIZ wrote:

There were problems with the loading block in div b and c, so their scores may have been even higher if not for the issue.

Anyone know what 2nd for div b got at nj states?

Agreed. The loading blocks there had many different problems. The ES was nice to allow teams to take off the washer on the loading block if they wanted to.
NJ States 2019:
Boom- 1
Code- 1
MT- 7 :(

Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Raleway » March 14th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Hot take but from my own Boomilevers, 3000 is no longer a dream; it's quite feasible. I would not be surprised with upper 2000 scores anymore and the 2000 range might simply be a new benchmark. Can't reveal too much but top scores at nationals might be more like:

1. 2900-3000
2. 2500-2700
3. 2500-2700
4. 2500-2700
5. 2000-2300
6. 2000-2300

Cow481
State: PA

Postby Cow481 » March 14th, 2019, 3:17 pm

I feel that this a a little high plus the fact that many teams get less than what they predicted or things might not go as planed.

1-2: 2800-2600
3-4: 2600-2300
5-6: 2300-2000
2017 Events: JV Tower, JV Bottle Rocket
2018 Events: V Tower, V Mystery Architecture, JV Herpetology
2019 Events: V Boomilever, V Elastic Launched Glider, V Mystery Architecture

Medals
Invitationals: 8
Regionals: 2
States: 1
Nationals: 1 :D

Dank Memes Area Homeschool A Boomilever Builder

Kragy

Postby Kragy » March 17th, 2019, 11:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHkeQg-7gjQ

V5 Boomilever Test. Bass wood tension members. Balsa wood compression members. 1/8 square main members. 1/16 square bracing members. The Boomilever held approximately 3kg and it broke at the compression members. How can make the compression members better? Should I focus on the reinforcement of the compression members or the wood selection of the compression members? Sorry about the watermark.

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » March 17th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Kragy wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHkeQg-7gjQ

V5 Boomilever Test. Bass wood tension members. Balsa wood compression members. 1/8 square main members. 1/16 square bracing members. The Boomilever held approximately 3kg and it broke at the compression members. How can make the compression members better? Should I focus on the reinforcement of the compression members or the wood selection of the compression members? Sorry about the watermark.

1. Why is your loading block set on an angle?
2. It mighta been just me, but I saw the whole boomilever being pulled forward by the weight. Is your testing base secured properly?
3. 1/8" is not enough. I would go with 1/4" square if you are just starting out. Bracing depends on the thickness of your main compression columns and what your intervals are.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2019 Events: Battery Buggy, Boomilever, Fossils, Thermodynamics
Member of the Builder Cult - builders rise up! :)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool
#BalsaManForever

Return to “Boomilever B/C”