TheSquaad
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by TheSquaad » December 5th, 2018, 6:49 am

Cow481 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: Build as many booms as possible... build at least 1 every 2 weeks...
I’d even shoot for 1 or 2 a week if you’re really looking to make progress. And make sure that you’re modifying your design in stages. For example, if you had a compression failure, you shouldn’t strengthen your compression members and lighten up on your tensions because then you may get a tension failure and have to retest that compression modification.
Also slow mo all the testing and go frame by frame to see the exact point of failure
Get a galaxy s9 to record your boomi breaking in sweet 960fps

BenW
Division: C
State: IL

Post by BenW » December 5th, 2018, 8:52 am

TheSquaad wrote: Get a galaxy s9 to record your boomi breaking in sweet 960fps
Or instead of getting a $1000+ phone, get a ~$250 digital camera that can do that.
Remember: MEDALS FROM REGIONAL AND ABOVE CAN BE USED ON COLLEGE RESUMES FOR DIVISION C! Good luck!

2019 regional/state meals:
Boomilever 6th
Thermodynamics 3rd
2020 regional medals:
Water Quality 3rd
Detector Building 3rd
1 other I don't remember I think it was 6th

nambui0701

Post by nambui0701 » December 5th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Hey guys :) I am a new member of SO and Boomilever event. May I ask if there is any mathematical / engineering approach to building the Boomilever instead of just blindly building and testing?

Much appreciate any answer.

klastyioer
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer » December 5th, 2018, 1:57 pm

nambui0701 wrote:Hey guys :) I am a new member of SO and Boomilever event. May I ask if there is any mathematical / engineering approach to building the Boomilever instead of just blindly building and testing?

i mean yes there is a lot of math involved in boomilevers. in fact, if you are in high school and you take a mechanics course, that will help you a LOT in boomi. but blindly building isnt that bad. if you know how your device and you can find the greatest weakness spots on the device, you can get anywhere in this event. don't be afraid to experiment, especially with event. try different shapes, cross sections, wood, wood thickness/weights, glues, etc. always double check your measurements and be sure to be precise with each and every piece on there. oh and also dont use too much glue, the whole point of it is to be light but strong. let me know how it goes!
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!

TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad » December 5th, 2018, 3:31 pm

klastyioer wrote:
nambui0701 wrote:Hey guys :) I am a new member of SO and Boomilever event. May I ask if there is any mathematical / engineering approach to building the Boomilever instead of just blindly building and testing?

i mean yes there is a lot of math involved in boomilevers. in fact, if you are in high school and you take a mechanics course, that will help you a LOT in boomi. but blindly building isnt that bad. if you know how your device and you can find the greatest weakness spots on the device, you can get anywhere in this event. don't be afraid to experiment, especially with event. try different shapes, cross sections, wood, wood thickness/weights, glues, etc. always double check your measurements and be sure to be precise with each and every piece on there. oh and also dont use too much glue, the whole point of it is to be light but strong. let me know how it goes!

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 » December 5th, 2018, 3:35 pm

TheSquaad wrote:
klastyioer wrote:

Squad was your post intended to agree with klastyioer or something? :?:
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and sadly not Gravity Vehicle
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Andrew Yang for VP!
In remembrance of Len Joeris (Balsa Man) and Dr. Gerard Putz - Don't cry because they are gone. Smile because they were here.

klastyioer
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer » December 5th, 2018, 3:44 pm

MadCow2357 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
klastyioer wrote:
lol yeah im confused...
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!

TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad » December 6th, 2018, 5:33 am

klastyioer wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
lol yeah im confused...
I think my message somehow got deleted before I posted lol.

I was going to suggest looking at Euler’s critical load. You don’t have to actually use the formula to calculate anything, but it’s principles can really help with your fundamental design.

Sciencer101

Post by Sciencer101 » December 6th, 2018, 5:32 pm

So do you guys think that rule 4.i. will actually be followed, especially at regionals? Specifically the second part, "Teams will be given a choice of which testing apparatus they will use," could potentially be helpful at regionals.
I imagine one tester being out of plumb, everybody wants to use the other one, but the officials say no, big hassle.
This is a bit unrealistic, I know, but I was curious to what you guys think. :D

- Sciencer

embokim
State: NY

Post by embokim » December 9th, 2018, 7:56 am

Has anyone tried using dowels for tension members? Would they be inherently strong just because of the even and cylindrical design?

Thanks
in advance.
Happy to be here

Return to “Boomilever B/C”