Boomilever B/C

Chameleon02
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by Chameleon02 »

I have been having some trouble gluing my tension pieces between the base and compression pieces. My base attachment is about 1 cm (light weight, easily holds 15kg), and my compression pieces are spaced 5cm apart measuring from the outside edges. I have been having difficulty attaching the tension pieces (1/16x square bass) to the base and compression pieces on the outside edges. What are the solutions to this issue?
Some suggested that I could glue the tension pieces to the insides of the compression pieces (reduces gap by about .75cm) but are tension pieces equally effective when glued on the inside? Thanks. I hope I have explained the issue (basically I'm trying to glue pieces on 2 planes), but I can clarify if necessary.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
colorblind16

Post by colorblind16 »

I was looking over the different boomilever design options and reading through the forums and noticed some talk about the box beam boomilever design. However, it was hard to find any pictures showing this model. I also saw the chimney design, which I did see some pictures of. I was wondering if these were the same design or different designs. Is the box beam design the large prism, or is that the chimney design. If it isn't the box beam, what would a standard box beam boomilever look like? This is our first year doing this so we are new. Thanks for all of your help!
AlexDeKuang
Division: Grad
State: OK
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by AlexDeKuang »

colorblind16 wrote:I was looking over the different boomilever design options and reading through the forums and noticed some talk about the box beam boomilever design. However, it was hard to find any pictures showing this model. I also saw the chimney design, which I did see some pictures of. I was wondering if these were the same design or different designs. Is the box beam design the large prism, or is that the chimney design. If it isn't the box beam, what would a standard box beam boomilever look like? This is our first year doing this so we are new. Thanks for all of your help!
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Boomilever describes the box beam boomilever pretty well, but there isn't a picture.
OpticsNerd
State: WI

Post by OpticsNerd »

Chameleon02 wrote:I have been having some trouble gluing my tension pieces between the base and compression pieces. My base attachment is about 1 cm (light weight, easily holds 15kg), and my compression pieces are spaced 5cm apart measuring from the outside edges. I have been having difficulty attaching the tension pieces (1/16x square bass) to the base and compression pieces on the outside edges. What are the solutions to this issue?
Some suggested that I could glue the tension pieces to the insides of the compression pieces (reduces gap by about .75cm) but are tension pieces equally effective when glued on the inside? Thanks. I hope I have explained the issue (basically I'm trying to glue pieces on 2 planes), but I can clarify if necessary.
Soak the tension cords in hot water before gluing them?
stringman
Division: B
State: MD

Post by stringman »

How many horizontal trusses do you guys think are optimal for the compression beam?
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

stringman wrote:How many horizontal trusses do you guys think are optimal for the compression beam?
Normally 8 to 10. Depend on the strength of the beam. First, use the single finger push to see how much weight the beam can hold while starting to bend, then calculate how many internal you need.

For example, you found beam can hold 300 grams before it bend. It needs to hold more than 30,000/2 grams for division B.
num of interval = sqrt( 15000/300)= 7. Give some safe margin, 8 internal should be OK. (I learned this from Balsaman, you can search last year's tower forum for more details.).

For each interval, you can do X only or X and ladder.

Jinhu
Cow481
State: PA

Post by Cow481 »

It is necessary to use gorilla glue for the distal endsif I want to get full hold? I currently use gorilla glue but can the purple cap CA glue get full hold? I use basswood for tension and laminate it to my compression pieces which are balsa.
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
TheSquaad
Division: Grad

Post by TheSquaad »

Cow481 wrote:It is necessary to use gorilla glue for the distal endsif I want to get full hold? I currently use gorilla glue but can the purple cap CA glue get full hold? I use basswood for tension and laminate it to my compression pieces which are balsa.
It probably depends how you laminate it. I exclusively use purple Bob Smith, and I have never had issues with tension members tearing off. I stick extra balsa stick on either side of the tension member, and then I glue a small balsa strip over all 3 sticks.
wzhang5460
State: NY

Post by wzhang5460 »

I found that using two 1/4 by 1/8 balsa for compression and 1/16 by 1/16 balsa for tension will yield very good results.
Circuit Lab NY State Champion with legendary circuitologist Eric Wang
LONGEST DEFENDING ROCKS AND MINERALS REGIONAL CHAMPION OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND IN HISTORY ~4 YEARS AND COUNTING
sciencecat42

Post by sciencecat42 »

wzhang5460 wrote:I found that using two 1/4 by 1/8 balsa for compression and 1/16 by 1/16 balsa for tension will yield very good results.
Isn't 1/16 balsa super weak?

Return to “Boomilever B/C”